Draft Thread (Giants have picks #6,47,70)

Acgott

On 12/26/2023 at 10:03 AM, Acgott said:

If a QB is there, we take him. We have used so many draft resources on OL, they all have failed. We need to go the veteran route. We can’t spend more time developing a RT. You don’t need two all pro tackles to win, they just need to be not horrible. You do need a top receiver,

I truly believe that the Qb's are going 1-2-3.  I just think there's enough demand at the top of the draft board to push them up that high.  Given there's 3 qb's, 2 top OT and Harrison, as long as we have a top 6 pick, I'm happy with whoever we'll end up with

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gmen19851 said:

I truly believe that the Qb's are going 1-2-3.  I just think there's enough demand at the top of the draft board to push them up that high.  Given there's 3 qb's, 2 top OT and Harrison, as long as we have a top 6 pick, I'm happy with whoever we'll end up with

Said this a month ago. And i as well believe it is going to happen. My top 3 are Williams, Maye and Daniels and i could fully see it happening with the desparation the teams at the top have for the QB position. If we somehow land the 4th pick.. i could see us trading up to grab one of those guys but at 5... prepare for a lineman or possibly a WR. 

Hoping we don't draft a QB.  Would rather see us address the offensive line.  We've got a solid center in JMS and would like to see the team continuing to build upon that.  See no reason to draft a QB in this years draft.  We also need pass rushers.  Basically the same needs every year that we can't ever get right...haha.

I think we need to get our qb an offensive line.  We might also want to address RB, not sure we'll have Barkley on the roster after this season.  I'm sure this kid is tired of running behind this line.  Tired of seeing our QB getting hurt due to poor protection.  

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

On 12/30/2023 at 9:54 PM, ny92mike said:

Hoping we don't draft a QB.  Would rather see us address the offensive line.  We've got a solid center in JMS and would like to see the team continuing to build upon that.  See no reason to draft a QB in this years draft.  We also need pass rushers.  Basically the same needs every year that we can't ever get right...haha.

I think we need to get our qb an offensive line.  We might also want to address RB, not sure we'll have Barkley on the roster after this season.  I'm sure this kid is tired of running behind this line.  Tired of seeing our QB getting hurt due to poor protection.  

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/grades/position/c

PFF strongly disagrees...https://ibb.co/b7D5DLt

They have him ranked dead last 36/36

Even the eye test he looked bad most of the year. Really struggled picking up stunts and getting off blocks to the second level. Hopefully he pulls a Thomas and elevates his game next season but right now... he's looking more like a bust then a solid center...

I just can't get on board with the oline after oline after oline picks. It's simply not working. Need to try something new. 

• Like 1

I'm placing JMS's developmental struggles squarely on Bobby Johnson. It is no coincidence that we have mutliple highly touted high picks on the OL and they all have gotten worse or stayed the same. We need a big change at OL coach. It's unfathomable to me that JMS is playing as poorly as he is right now. 

• Like 1

I want a new QB this offseason. I want a young dude with a rocket arm who can read defenses and who doesn't make stupid, embarrassing mistakes like Jones and Tyrod regularly do. I have enough faith in Dabs and Schoen to pick a guy they like, so I don't care if it is Jayden Daniels, Michael Penix, Bo Nix, whoever. Get me a dude who can run this offense. The OL still sucks, but the weapons are developing. Slayton is as solid as they come, Wan'Dale is a legitimate weapon, and Hyatt is a burner.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I want a new QB this offseason. I want a young dude with a rocket arm who can read defenses and who doesn't make stupid, embarrassing mistakes like Jones and Tyrod regularly do. I have enough faith in Dabs and Schoen to pick a guy they like, so I don't care if it is Jayden Daniels, Michael Penix, Bo Nix, whoever. Get me a dude who can run this offense. The OL still sucks, but the weapons are developing. Slayton is as solid as they come, Wan'Dale is a legitimate weapon, and Hyatt is a burner.

X 10000000 spot on 

I would just LOVE for them to somehow nab MHJR and then trade back into the 1st using that 2nd rounder for Leo and nabbing Nix. What a duo that would make. 

2 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

X 10000000 spot on 

I would just LOVE for them to somehow nab MHJR and then trade back into the 1st using that 2nd rounder for Leo and nabbing Nix. What a duo that would make. 

I'm usually very against not just taking the QB you want as early as you can, but that'd be so incredibly tempting. Honestly, substitute MHJR and Nix for Nabers and Penix, and I'm still tempted.

As good as MHJR is, I think Nabers and Coleman are right there with him. Odunze is slightly behind them, but he's also very good. The WRs at the top of this draft are phenomenal.

11 hours ago, Shockwave said:

https://www.pff.com/nfl/grades/position/c

PFF strongly disagrees...https://ibb.co/b7D5DLt

They have him ranked dead last 36/36

Even the eye test he looked bad most of the year. Really struggled picking up stunts and getting off blocks to the second level. Hopefully he pulls a Thomas and elevates his game next season but right now... he's looking more like a bust then a solid center...

I just can't get on board with the oline after oline after oline picks. It's simply not working. Need to try something new. 

Not sold on PFF rankings.  I would have him ranked lower this year but I can't put the blame solely on him.  

I wasn't a fan of him when the Giants drafted Jones, but that was mainly because I didn't think he had a strong enough arm to make the deep throws and that I wasn't done watching Eli play.  That said, he's grown on me.  

I'd rather see the team draft or pick up players in the free agency to improve the offensive line and get some better talent at receiver.

Your eye test comment are you referring to JMS?  If so, I think that kid is going to work out just fine.  He was my favorite center in that draft.  Need to get some quality help at guard and I'd like to see a better RT than Neal.  You talk about a bust.

I understand the frustration with oline picks, but they have got to do a better job of drafting these players.  Thomas and JMS have been the only picks that are working out.

I'm ready to see how things go this offseason.  

I was just looking at the tiebreaker rooting page on Tankathon. To make it easy, here is what Giants fans need to be hoping happens to finish with the best draft pick possible:

• Giants loss v Eagles
  • Washington win v Dallas
  • Arizona win v Seattle
  • Patriots win v Jets
  • Falcons win @ Saints
  • Colts win v Texans
  • Bears win @ Packers
  • Broncos win @ Raiders
  • Steelers win @ Ravens

Let's go Commanders, Cardinals, Patriots, Falcons, Colts, Bears, Broncos, and Steelers! I think, that if everything there happens, the Giants get the #2 pick.

Most likely though, the Commanders get whipped by the Cowboys, we lose against the Eagles and either the Patriots beat the Jets or the Cardinals beat the Seahawks (but I doubt both). That'd put us at pick 4 or 5. I think it is safe to plan for pick 4 or 5, most likely. 

Personally, I think it ends up as Bears, Commanders, Cardinals, Giants, Patriots as the top 5. Jumping the Pats would be fantastic, and I think if they win, along with the Steelers, Bears, and Broncos (which are all likely; the Colts winning would help as well, but I think Houston wins that game while I think the Steelers, Bears, and Broncos win their games), we do jump them.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm looking at it this way: we are most likely already out of contention for Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, and Marvin Harrison Jr. We have a shot at Jayden Daniels, but that is really all that is at stake here in week 18 for us- we either have a shot at Jayden Daniels or we don't. There isn't much difference between 5, or even 4, and 8, necessarily. Malik Nabers and Keon Coleman are very comparable, top of the line WR prospects and the team desperately needs #1 WR talent, so one of them (or possibly even Rome Odunze, who is just a slight step behind them) would be the pick in the first if the QB we want isn't there.

If we are picking at 8, it is because we beat the Eagles, which would be hysterical and make me overjoyed, so I'd honestly be fine if that were the case. I'd take my consolation prize Keon Coleman and go merrily along my way. Regardless, I'm setting myself up to be relatively happy no matter the outcome of the games this weekend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Any thoughts on taking JJ McCarthy or Quinn Ewers?

I'd be good with McCarthy in the 2nd round. Though he likely doesn't make it that far. I prefer Penix over either of them. That dude can SLING it. In fact, I he's prob my favorite QB in the class, tbh. As we can all see, he's a gamer. He's got the two things that are most important for QBs in the NFL. The ability to make every throw. And the ability to put his team on his back in big games. No other QBs in this class have those two traits. Daniels is the closest.

1 Williams

2 Daniels

3 Maye

4 Penix

5 Nix

For me, for the Giants. I'm not really interested in any other QBs on the first 2 days. I like all 5 of those guys. I don't like Ewers or McCarthy. Cam Ward would be interesting on day 3.