Draft Thread (Giants have picks #6,47,70)

Acgott

24 minutes ago, Acgott said:

The percentage of success has been extremely small. No top 5 QB trade has worked out since 2004. Not one. It’s not worth the assets. We need them to surround our QB for success. 

It is worth the assets, those other teams just picked the wrong QB. If the Jets had taken Josh Allen instead of Sam Darnold their franchise would be relevant again. I trust Shane to make the right call now that he has his people in place. 

Though I will repeat I only want to do the trade if the QB has all the tools.  I don't watch college football is there a can't miss QB in this draft the next Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, or Andrew Luck?

1 hour ago, Go_Giants said:

It is worth the assets, those other teams just picked the wrong QB. If the Jets had taken Josh Allen instead of Sam Darnold their franchise would be relevant again. I trust Shane to make the right call now that he has his people in place. 

Though I will repeat I only want to do the trade if the QB has all the tools.  I don't watch college football is there a can't miss QB in this draft the next Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, or Andrew Luck?

Caleb Williams has been talked as a can’t miss prospect, but I also don’t follow college closely.

Caleb Williams looks like Patrick Mahomes so much that it is a little eery. He's got negatives in his game of course, but the physical tools are all there.

I think the Giants will prioritize physical tools. I think if we had a top pick in this past year's draft, Anthony Richardson would have been our guy. 

Just don't think we'd have a shot at Caleb without giving up the farm to move up. Maye is a strong possibility. Or I like the idea of MHJR and trading back into the 1st round for Penix or McCarthy. Give a guy like McCarthy a stud #1 WR and LT to start his career. 

6 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Just don't think we'd have a shot at Caleb without giving up the farm to move up. Maye is a strong possibility. Or I like the idea of MHJR and trading back into the 1st round for Penix or McCarthy. Give a guy like McCarthy a stud #1 WR and LT to start his career. 

By some models, we are currently the favorites to land the #1 pick. And the longer Devito starts, the better that chance is. 

46 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

By some models, we are currently the favorites to land the #1 pick. And the longer Devito starts, the better that chance is. 

Yea the Commanders and Patriot games scare me though. That Eagles game week 17 could be meaningless. Bears and Cards (see how long Kyler lasts)  are well seasoned when it comes to tanking. Giants always find a way to win that 1 game that screws up everything (Dallas week 17 in 2020). Wouldn't be surprised if Matt Barkley ends up starting at some point (whether that changes the odds I have no idea)

Edited by Shockwave

37 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Yea the Commanders and Patriot games scare me though. That Eagles game week 17 could be meaningless. Bears and Cards (see how long Kyler lasts)  are well seasoned when it comes to tanking. Giants always find a way to win that 1 game that screws up everything (Dallas week 17 in 2020). Wouldn't be surprised if Matt Barkley ends up starting at some point (whether that changes the odds I have no idea)

That's fair. I'd counter that though with the Patriots still have Bill gameplanning their defense, and they historically feast on rookie QBs. 

As far as wins, what's best case over the rest of the season? Winning those 2 games? As long as that doesn't happen, we are surely looking at a top 3 pick. 

Matt Barkley hasn’t played in a NFL game since 2020. We are currently 8 point underdogs to Washington. Both teams should be using their starter, we are on our 3rd string, maybe 4th with a terrible offense. I think we are in good (bad shape)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Acgott said:

Matt Barkley hasn’t played in a NFL game since 2020. We are currently 8 point underdogs to Washington. Both teams should be using their starter, we are on our 3rd string, maybe 4th with a terrible offense. I think we are in good (bad shape)

Do NOT underestimate this teams ability to completely ruin their draft position...  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, brownie man said:

I think yall will get Caleb. I see Carolina winning at least 1 more game this year. I dont see you all winning anything else with the DJ injury. It'd be the best thing for you all long term to just lie down dead and secure the number 1 pick. 

It’s going to be tough. Giants still have Patriots, Packers, Rams, all teams picking in the top 10 and at home.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

#2 pick currently. The game against the Patriots is going to be big. We really need Bill to bring his A game. If they can score double digits points, we should lose. 

Are we the #2? Isn't the tiebreaker for the draft strength of schedule, if so I believe our sos is amongst the highest which should have us as currently having the #4 pick in the draft.

1 hour ago, Go_Giants said:

Are we the #2? Isn't the tiebreaker for the draft strength of schedule, if so I believe our sos is amongst the highest which should have us as currently having the #4 pick in the draft.

If the season ended today, the Giants would pick #3 based on the current SOS of .532. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-draft-order-week-11-2023-nfl-season

Of course the season sadly does not end today, so most sites take the full 17 game schedule into account for the draft order. That has the Giants @ #2 with a SOS of .519.

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl

• Like 1