Draft Thread (Giants have picks #6,47,70)

Acgott

3 minutes ago, Acgott said:

It creates more urgency now since we have a better idea of what the Vikings can offer and if we want to beat it. The good news that this trade happened so early, so Scheon has time to adjust his plans. Scheon has always been aggressive in trading. I expect no difference here.

The difference between us and the Vikings is I have a feeling that the Giants aren't ok with just any of the top 4 QBs. I think they are targeting Maye. If they're targeting one player, you can't make a trade up right now unless it is to 1 (or 2, but the Commanders aren't trading out of that spot and if they were, they probably wouldn't be trading it to us).

There are multiple reports that we've been in contact with all the teams in the top 3 regarding a trade up. If the Giants are ok with Daniels or Maye, then yeah, they need to move quickly and aggressively. If they aren't, they've gotta sit back and wait.

• Like 1

@minutemancl if they sit back, we know the Vikings are jumping us. It’s a worthwhile risk even if the #3 QB is a little lower on the list. If he’s not top 10, then of course you can’t make the move. As the GM of the Giants once said.

“Scared money, don’t make money”

6 minutes ago, Acgott said:

@minutemancl if they sit back, we know the Vikings are jumping us. It’s a worthwhile risk even if the #3 QB is a little lower on the list. If he’s not top 10, then of course you can’t make the move. As the GM of the Giants once said.

“Scared money, don’t make money”

It would be reasonable for the Giants, based on what I know about them and Joe Schoen, to love Williams and Maye, but not necessarily be high on Daniels due to his size. Then, if you have McCarthy a tier below and not as a potential franchise QB, you don't move up unless Maye falls.

I could be wrong and they might love Daniels, but there are reasons to be wary there.

What I think the Giants were doing with their calls up to trade into the top 3 were monitoring the market for a trade up specifically for Maye. If Washington were to take Daniels and the Patriots aren't high on Maye, I imagine Joe Schoen writes them a blank check. That's all personal opinion though based on what I've read.

Personally, if I were GM and was presented with a reasonable deal to trade up into the top 4 right now, I would take it, especially if Dabes were comfortable with any of those guys. They've all got the talent to become a franchise QB, and I'm all about taking those swings.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 7:24 AM, minutemancl said:

Is there any chance it is us that trades out?

with the Vikings?

i have to think that our GM would rather enrich an AFC team like the Chargers more than you being a NFC team.

but then, he made a trade with the Lions two years back, so who knows?

23 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

there's yak out there that the G's could trade up with AZ at #4 for a QB, how do you guys feel about that and its implications? or is it just noise from bored sportswriters?

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if that happened. The Giants do want a QB very badly, that much is certain. Whether they like QB4 enough to do that, or have some knowledge that they can get their QB3 at 4, I'm not sure. It seems to me like that'd be something that happens on draft day, not soon.

19 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

with the Vikings?

i have to think that our GM would rather enrich an AFC team like the Chargers more than you being a NFC team.

but then, he made a trade with the Lions two years back, so who knows?

When you're trying to get a QB, I imagine you just try to find a trade partner, no matter who they are. If JJ is there at 6, nobody in the top 5 wanted to trade with the Vikings, and the Giants don't want JJ, I could absolutely see that happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

there's yak out there that the G's could trade up with AZ at #4 for a QB, how do you guys feel about that and its implications? or is it just noise from bored sportswriters?

Can you please post links to this yak, but no I have not heard that nor do I think they are doing that.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 11:05 AM, Acgott said:

Can you please post links to this yak, but no I have not heard that nor do I think they are doing that.

In the latest mock draft by Kyle Stackpole of CBS Sports, he predicts the Giants to trade up for the no. 4 pick with the Cardinals in order to select JJ McCarthy out of the University of Michigan.

Considering that it will be hard for the Giants to get to the Top 3 in order to select any of the top-rated quarterbacks in Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels and Drake Maye, they could opt for the next best option with McCarthy.

https://gridironheroics.com/new-york-giants-trade-arizona-cardinals-jj-mccarthy/

like i say, it's just yak out there from sportswriters who don't necessarily have a source, they're just meeting their quota of words per day they have to post.

which is why i am asking you guys if you see it as likely or not.

31 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

like i say, it's just yak out there from sportswriters who don't necessarily have a source, they're just meeting their quota of words per day they have to post.

which is why i am asking you guys if you see it as likely or not.

Lots of mocks are going to be throwing stuff against the wall seeing what sticks for clickbait. They are fun, but mean nothing as you know. If it’s a reporter’s source, than I look at that a little closely.

That mock was outdated anyway. Stackpole’s current one has the Vikings trading up for Maye.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024-nfl-mock-draft-patriots-trade-back-but-still-land-first-round-qb-steelers-fortify-ol-for-russell-wilson/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

and the Giants taking McCarthy at 6.

That wouldn’t surprise me. I don’t think the Giants will trade up with the Cardinals for the #4 QB, if they can get the #3 QB, they’ll do that or stay in their spot,

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Acgott said:

That wouldn’t surprise me. I don’t think the Giants will trade up with the Cardinals for the #4 QB, if they can get the #3 QB, they’ll do that or stay in their spot,

Trading up for Maye or staying at 6 and getting McCarthy would both be great outcomes. Trading up for McCarthy would feel a little worse. 

• Like 1

The Cardinals and Chargers -- who respectively own the fourth and fifth overall picks -- are two teams that may possibly be willing to trade first-round picks with the Vikings. The wild card here are the Giants, who own the fifth overall pick and are also reportedly interested in a quarterback. New York may also try to trade picks with either Arizona or Los Angeles in an effort to land McCarthy. 

Regardless of where, it appears like a forgone conclusion that McCarthy will be a top-10 pick. Where he ends up will likely come down to which team is able to pull off the trade to acquire him. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024-nfl-draft-rumors-vikings-expected-to-be-aggressive-in-trying-to-trade-up-to-select-this-top-qb-prospect/?fbclid=IwAR3Y2SMvLe4pSDLY5tcTWn6G_0MHC9hXz37b0gZB0IDncVnnOfjVgAINfN4

it's always heartening to see national sports outlets catch up to what we've been saying already for days.

I still think the Giants are better off getting another WR or more offensive help before getting a QB.

The last thing you want is to trade up for a QB, give them no help and then ruin them before they ever had a chance to succeed.

Or maybe the G-Men get someone in the mid rounds like Rattler or Pratt to see if they can get anything out of them. If not, it's not a huge investment and you guys get your QB in 2025.

• Like 1