Draft Thread (Giants have picks #6,47,70)

Acgott

5 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

Its clear to me we need a QB.. Whether or not they are willing to use that #6 pick on a guy is what im concerned about. If hes gonna go higher than 6, for that trade, they better be in love with the prospect. Because if he's in the top 3??? ... that compensation is gonna be huge. If they stay pat.. as much as i sound hypocritical and would want an olineman like Alt or Fashanu.. we need a right tackle. Not a left.. so with that being said if they stay pat, i think were eyeing a guy like Nabers. 

We need a veteran RT. I don’t want to draft another LT in the top 10, that needs to convert to RT. Teams don’t need two top 1O OT. We just need one that’s not horrible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Acgott said:

We need a veteran RT. I don’t want to draft another LT in the top 10, that needs to convert to RT. Teams don’t need two top 1O OT. We just need one that’s not horrible.

For sure. Drafting ANOTHER top-10 tackle is awful draft asset allocation. We'll need to wait for some cap casualties unfortunately, because the FA T market right now is slim pickings.

27 minutes ago, Acgott said:

No, we can’t rely on Jones, but panicking to trade for another QB on the final year of his deal isn’t the answer. Use those 2nds to trade up for a rookie, either into the top 5 or the low first. How often does the top 5 change from January to April? I rather take a chance on the 2024 Will Levis. We need to restock the roster, not play for one year.

While I agree...This is fan think. Now put yourself in the minds of Daboll and Schoen. This is year three of the administration you went from playoffs to starting 2-8. You absolutely cannot afford another ugly 6 win season. You need to make an impactful move that guarantees next year you will be back in playoff contention or you are facing being fired. Which rookie are you putting your faith in to start day 1?  

28 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

While I agree...This is fan think. Now put yourself in the minds of Daboll and Schoen. This is year three of the administration you went from playoffs to starting 2-8. You absolutely cannot afford another ugly 6 win season. You need to make an impactful move that guarantees next year you will be back in playoff contention or you are facing being fired. Which rookie are you putting your faith in to start day 1?  

It’s not fan speak, it’s logical. I don’t think it's playoffs or bust, but they have to show improvement. I don’t see how trading for an average QB on the final year of his contract is the answer to that. It may get you a win or two, but nothing for a consistent future. We will just be in the same spot as last year, giving a huge contract to Fields.

• Like 1

Worst case scenario for the Giants:

1 Caleb Williams

2 Drake Maye

3 Jayden Daniels

4 Marvin Harrison Jr

5 Malik Nabers

You'd have your choice of defensive players and OL, but the top 3 QBs and top 2 WRs being gone would be awful. Who would you guys prefer in this situation? Brock Bowers would undoubtedly be the best player available, but I'd hate drafting a TE that early when we've got 2 good ones already on the team. Alt and Fashanu are 2 great tackle prospects, but investing that much draft capital into Tackle just isn't wise. Maybe it is a trade back with a team who wants one of those 3 guys? Or do we buck the trend and grab the pass rusher we want- Verse, Latu, or Turner?

While I don't see the Chargers taking Nabers at 5 given they just took Quentin Johnston last year, with a new front office coming in, anything could happen. I think if the top 3 QBs are gone at 6 and Nabers is there, he is the pick.

17 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Worst case scenario for the Giants:

1 Caleb Williams

2 Drake Maye

3 Jayden Daniels

4 Marvin Harrison Jr

5 Malik Nabers

You'd have your choice of defensive players and OL, but the top 3 QBs and top 2 WRs being gone would be awful. Who would you guys prefer in this situation? Brock Bowers would undoubtedly be the best player available, but I'd hate drafting a TE that early when we've got 2 good ones already on the team. Alt and Fashanu are 2 great tackle prospects, but investing that much draft capital into Tackle just isn't wise. Maybe it is a trade back with a team who wants one of those 3 guys? Or do we buck the trend and grab the pass rusher we want- Verse, Latu, or Turner?

While I don't see the Chargers taking Nabers at 5 given they just took Quentin Johnston last year, with a new front office coming in, anything could happen. I think if the top 3 QBs are gone at 6 and Nabers is there, he is the pick.

I think it be Rome or one of the pass rushers right now. We badly need top tier talent at both those positions,

• Like 1

Why not Penix? I'd be ok with taking him at 6. Depending how tonight goes and the combine alot can change. Some injury concerns early on in is college career but he's been a stud since he transferred to Washington in 2021. The kid seems to have all the right tools. Having a lefty puts emphasis on getting a stud RT though. 

22 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Why not Penix? I'd be ok with taking him at 6. Depending how tonight goes and the combine alot can change. Some injury concerns early on in is college career but he's been a stud since he transferred to Washington in 2021. The kid seems to have all the right tools. Having a lefty puts emphasis on getting a stud RT though. 

It definitely be something to consider if he rises up the board. We don’t want to overdraft a QB like we did with Jones. The injury concerns are scary and he’s not a mobile QB that Daboll likes. His evaluation will be extremely important.

22 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Penix would certainly be interesting. Tonight should weigh a lot on his evaluation though. This Michigan defense is easily the best he will play this year; if he can ball out tonight, and his medicals check out, I'd be fine with him at 6.

I really am interested to see what plays out in FA. We have got to make an all out assault on olinemen. Namely Robert Hunt from Miami. Give him a pay day and lock up 1 guard spot at least. After the FA / Combine are over i think well have a better perspective of what we can get. All i know is this team has a lot of holes and if JS and Dabes wanna be around they better bring in a QB. 

• 1 month later...

Here’s where I stand:

1. Trade up from 6th for a QB- No brainer. Do what must be done if possible for one of the top 3.
  2. Draft JJ McCarthy/Trade down- if you think he can be the franchise, draft him, if not see if one of the top 15 want him.
  3. Draft Nabers/Rome

Daboll is on the hot seat, I don’t see him sitting back and waiting for a QB to fall into his lap in the second round nor banking on a second rounder to save his job if Jones struggles. Use the high resources we have to build the team. He’ll likely won’t see that second rounder a year later.

Since 2019, there has been 11 QBs selected in the 2nd and 3rd round. Only 1, Jalen Hurts can be considered a success. The majority of the HCs were even fired a year or two after drafting the QB. I understand this is a correlation does not imply causation situation, draft is a crapshoot, quarterbacks are the hardest to find, keeping throwing darts until you hit one, there’s only 6 coaches hired before 2019, etc. but where the Giants are as a team today, it doesn’t make sense to use a pick on one. Build the team with players that we want playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

Here’s where I stand:

1. Trade up from 6th for a QB- No brainer. Do what must be done if possible for one of the top 3.
  2. Draft JJ McCarthy/Trade down- if you think he can be the franchise, draft him, if not see if one of the top 15 want him.
  3. Draft Nabers/Rome

Daboll is on the hot seat, I don’t see him sitting back and waiting for a QB to fall into his lap in the second round nor banking on a second rounder to save his job if Jones struggles. Use the high resources we have to build the team. He’ll likely won’t see that second rounder a year later.

Since 2019, there has been 11 QBs selected in the 2nd and 3rd round. Only 1, Jalen Hurts can be considered a success. The majority of the HCs were even fired a year or two after drafting the QB. I understand this is a correlation does not imply causation situation, draft is a crapshoot, quarterbacks are the hardest to find, keeping throwing darts until you hit one, there’s only 6 coaches hired before 2019, etc. but where the Giants are as a team today, it doesn’t make sense to use a pick on one. Build the team with players that we want playing.

I can get behind this.

Giants have way too many holes on the team to trade away a bunch of first and second rounders.  I would trade down and get as many 2nd and 3rdround picks as in can. The Draft is very deep and can fill many holes with starters doing it this way.  These qbs coming out are very overrated and to throw the future away like Carolina did is unexceptable.