Coach of the year

Steelersfan43

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He's literally a ST's background guy. And do you think Stefanski doesn't oversee the entire team as well just because he was an offensive guy?

I mean, Stefanski is the offensive playcaller. How much oversight of the entire team can he have on gameday? 

There's no evidence harbaugh has anything to do with our defense, either.

So if you cancel both fo those out for whatever it's worth, both teams performed well but CLE overachieved under significantly more adversity.

I'm not arguing for Harbaugh as COTY, though. 

I'm for Ryans or McVay. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

For me, the two clearest coach of the year candidates are Sean McVay and DeMeco Ryans.

Both had preseason win over/unders of 6.5, and got 10 wins to make the playoffs. 

I'm not really sold on Stefanski simply because the Browns were projected to win 9.5 wins and be a wild card team. They outperformed their projection by 1.5 games. That's not even the best overachievement in the division. The Ravens were projected to be a wild card with an over/under of 10.5 wins, and they won 13 and were the most dominant team in the entire league and 1 seed. 

I want to join you on a hot take against Stefanski, but I think you are sinking the ship by leading with McVay and Ryans for reasonability and to avoid homerism.

If the idea is "exceeding bad expectations", I just don't see how we can make the argument in good faith that the 9.5 win u/o wouldn't shift without Chubb + Watson. So finishing with 11 wins in the toughest division feels like he's just a rich man's McVay or Ryans this year, who have better QBs imo than either Watson or Flacco with less wins in easier divisions.

Instead, I want to fight the good fight to shift the COTY criteria towards the current MVP criteria of "best coach on best team". We always seem to think "its easy to win with a good team" but I think there is an underrated argument that wins 10-13 are harder than wins 5-8 because there are usually so many obvious things to fix on a < 5 win team and consistency is the highest measure of success.

So, while I like Harbaugh's case over Stefanski -I think we have to argue him #1.

Because while, sure, he has the MVP on offense - its not like Lamar's pumping out gaudy numbers (sans mia) and the team is a product of all 3 phases. And this year, Harbaugh has simply produced the best results. 

I know I'm crying into the ether here as currently weighted, but it's just really hard for me to see an argument against Stefanski so we gotta get creative.

Edited by Soggust

50 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Th Ravens rotate their 3rd and 4th OTs in the game regularly with little drop off from the starters and had a top 5 offense. Am I supposed to be in awe of Cleveland using their 4th and 5th tackles on their way to a bottom 5 offense? 

The Browns rotate their 5th and 6th OTs in the game regularly with little drop off from their 4th and 5th OTs. But somehow we don’t have a top 5 offense. 

Actually you may be on to something. Fire Stefanski?🤔

19 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I mean, Stefanski is the offensive playcaller. How much oversight of the entire team can he have on gameday? 

I'm not arguing for Harbaugh as COTY, though. 

I'm for Ryans or McVay. 

Your logic doesn't track at all!

McVay is a play caller, at least LAR is good offensively.

Ryans is also a play caller - Houston is not good defensively.

So by your logic, they don't oversee the entire team either!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

I’m not sure why McDermott isn’t being mentioned in this conversation. Bills were 5-5 with many injuries to key players and won 6 of 7 games to storm back to win the division and secure the second seed. I mean, my vote would go to Ryans but my point remains. Not even a mention for him. Seems weird considering the circumstances. 

Because everybody expected the Bills to accomplish what they have this year. The fact that they were 5-5 was a result of the team massively underperforming. You don't get props for putting out the fire you started.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

I’m not sure why McDermott isn’t being mentioned in this conversation. Bills were 5-5 with many injuries to key players and won 6 of 7 games to storm back to win the division and secure the second seed. I mean, my vote would go to Ryans but my point remains. Not even a mention for him. Seems weird considering the circumstances. 

lol can't believe I missed this. 

I don't remember who was making the case specifically on here (national media/reddit were), so please don't take this as directed at you WHATSOEVER, but I remember going out on a hot take earlier this year that this dude shouldn't be on the hot seat and I certainly felt like I was in the minority. 

Now, he's a coty mention in the thread. It's just funny how the universe always seems to come around.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Because everybody expected the Bills to accomplish what they have this year. The fact that they were 5-5 was a result of the team massively underperforming. You don't get props for putting out the fire you started.

Oh….. I thought the narrative was the Bills were expected to regress this season. Also, are injuries “fires” that the Bills started??? Maybe I’m confused here but the bottom line is the Bills were 5-5 and counted out by nearly everybody and came back to win the division and take the number two seed. Those are the facts. If you don’t believe McDermott should be mentioned here then maybe Josh should be  getting some MVP votes. 

9 minutes ago, Soggust said:

lol can't believe I missed this. 

I don't remember who was making the case specifically on here (national media/reddit were), so please don't take this as directed at you WHATSOEVER, but I remember going out on a hot take earlier this year that this dude shouldn't be on the hot seat and I certainly felt like I was in the minority. 

Now, he's a coty mention in the thread. It's just funny how the universe always seems to come around.

I wanted him fired myself!!!!! No offense taken. 

* I’m the only person who mentioned him for COTY so take it with a grain of salt. 

Edited by BillSabre
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

Oh….. I thought the narrative was the Bills were expected to regress this season. Also, are injuries “fires” that the Bills started??? Maybe I’m confused here but the bottom line is the Bills were 5-5 and counted out by nearly everybody and came back to win the division and take the number two seed. Those are the facts. If you don’t believe McDermott should be mentioned here then maybe Josh should be  getting some MVP votes. 

He will get MVP votes.

But the fact is, once he stopped turning the ball over at a Zach Wilson rate they started winning. Shocking.

14 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why would him winning it in the past have any bearing on this year?

You think these awards are awarded the way they should be… how cute. Just like Joker should have won MVP, but NBA likely thought it was bad marketing to have the same guy 3 years in a row. 

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He will get MVP votes.

But the fact is, once he stopped turning the ball over at a Zach Wilson rate they started winning. Shocking.

All those turnovers and he still leads the league in TD’s and total yardage. 🤷🏻‍♂️