A 2024 OFF-SEASON PROJECTION (POST NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME)

Karnage84

9 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

It'd only add $6M to the cap hit, so around $80M to play with. 

They're going to keep between $10-$15M in reserve for free agents in-season; $10M+/- for the draft class. 

NEW CONTRACTS

St Brown - He's probably going to get a 4 year x $100M deal. He's making $1.25M this year (cap hit anyway). Looking ahead, we could arguably do either his deal (or Sewell's) this year as well.

Sewell: Decker's going to roll off in 2026 opening up about $15M (there's a dead cap hit of $3.9M on Decker that year). It would be a good time to replace Decker's deal with Sewell's

Hutchinson: He's a UFA in 2026 

I have a bad feeling St Brown moves on elsewhere. Been thinking about that for a bit.

13 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

I have a bad feeling St Brown moves on elsewhere. Been thinking about that for a bit.

I appreciate you, but keep your bad feelings to yourself in this situation, lol.

That'd be awful, but I see him as Detroit through and through.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Just a gut feeling. If Ben stays maybe he doesn't but players get attached to their coordinators a lot. 

I think its a bigger issue with what we do with Goff or whoever is the QB when he is up for a contract.  As well as other key players like Sewell. Guys seem to get attached to teammates that make them look good more than anything.  At minimum we have 2 years using the franchise tag.  If we extend him this year and move some of the future money into next year it could help cap wise.  But it is going to be really hard to have one of the highest paid WRs in the league as well as likely the highest paid OT in the league when Sewell re-ups.  Its great to have players develop but also tough when they all develop and then need contracts.  But I do feel like Sewell, ARSB, Hutch and now Laporta are key cogs that we need to keep around and build around.  If we can't keep all of those guys, I hope we franchise them and trade them like KC did Hill instead of just losing to free agency.  

11 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think its a bigger issue with what we do with Goff or whoever is the QB when he is up for a contract.  As well as other key players like Sewell. Guys seem to get attached to teammates that make them look good more than anything.  At minimum we have 2 years using the franchise tag.  If we extend him this year and move some of the future money into next year it could help cap wise.  But it is going to be really hard to have one of the highest paid WRs in the league as well as likely the highest paid OT in the league when Sewell re-ups.  Its great to have players develop but also tough when they all develop and then need contracts.  But I do feel like Sewell, ARSB, Hutch and now Laporta are key cogs that we need to keep around and build around.  If we can't keep all of those guys, I hope we franchise them and trade them like KC did Hill instead of just losing to free agency.  

Yes and that's why KC is a good organization. Beyond Mahomes they have good leadership so it would be ideal to get assets from losing players for sure 

5 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Yes and that's why KC is a good organization. Beyond Mahomes they have good leadership so it would be ideal to get assets from losing players for sure 

Problem is that Goff is not Mahomes.  And if he is paid like Mahomes and we lose out on ARSB and being able to keep our OL a strength, then Goff is in trouble and we will be too.  Goff is great when not pressured, and if we downgrade at LT or if Ragnow hangs it up early then Goff will not be able to escape and make plays like Mahomes.  So hopefully we can keep the core together and spread the money appropriately.  

• Like 1

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

Problem is that Goff is not Mahomes.  And if he is paid like Mahomes and we lose out on ARSB and being able to keep our OL a strength, then Goff is in trouble and we will be too.  Goff is great when not pressured, and if we downgrade at LT or if Ragnow hangs it up early then Goff will not be able to escape and make plays like Mahomes.  So hopefully we can keep the core together and spread the money appropriately.  

Yes I don't see 50m a year QB but that seems to be what's coming. 

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think the Lions drafted Hendon Hooker because they, like most people, didn't see Jared Goff playing at such a high level.  Now they have an interesting problem:  They have a starting QB playing like a top-5 QB and a very physically talented young QB behind him.  

I hate this for Jared Goff because he might become our version of Alex Smith despite everything he as done while he has been here.

1 minute ago, Just Want A Title said:

I think the Lions drafted Hendon Hooker because they, like most people, didn't see Jared Goff playing at such a high level.  Now they have an interesting problem:  They have a starting QB playing like a top-5 QB and a very physically talented young QB behind him.  

I hate this for Jared Goff because he might become our version of Alex Smith despite everything he as done while he has been here.

Hooker is not young. He's like 3.5 years younger than Goff. 

Edited by detfan782004

1 minute ago, detfan782004 said:

Hooker is not young. He's like 3.5 years younger than Goff. 

Yes but Hendon Hooker can add a vertical passing element that Goff isn't able to tap into.  If he steps in sometime in the near future, he will be relatively affordable while we extend ARSB, Sewell, Hutch, ect.

27 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Yes but Hendon Hooker can add a vertical passing element that Goff isn't able to tap into.  If he steps in sometime in the near future, he will be relatively affordable while we extend ARSB, Sewell, Hutch, ect.

To be fair, we have 3 years left with Hooker being cheap.  We would have to pay him the same time we have to pay Jamo, Hutch, Laporta, Branch and other non-1st round picks from this past draft.  I think our best window unless Hooker is Pat Mahomes is going to be the next two years while we still have guys on rookie contracts.  Really next year is the best bet with ARSB and McNeil as well as Barnes and Iffy being cheap.  We also will have Decker coming due and he likely will be replaced unless he signs really cheap.  I could see us making a move this year for a well established player or two like the Rams did with Ramsey and Von Miller to try and get over the hump while we have the most cheap contracts on the books.  

10 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

To be fair, we have 3 years left with Hooker being cheap.  We would have to pay him the same time we have to pay Jamo, Hutch, Laporta, Branch and other non-1st round picks from this past draft.  I think our best window unless Hooker is Pat Mahomes is going to be the next two years while we still have guys on rookie contracts.  Really next year is the best bet with ARSB and McNeil as well as Barnes and Iffy being cheap.  We also will have Decker coming due and he likely will be replaced unless he signs really cheap.  I could see us making a move this year for a well established player or two like the Rams did with Ramsey and Von Miller to try and get over the hump while we have the most cheap contracts on the books.  

Yes I think they need to take a QB in this draft or next honestly. Hooker and Goff have similar windows and it makes no sense to extend Hooker. Get him out there let him get some snaps in preseason. Then trade him away imo. Get a solid backup veteran and then have a younger QB in waiting for Goff decline 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

That's not going to happen. He's going to get an AJ Brown type of contract from the Lions. He's a homegrown player, he's not a diva and he's the heartbeat of this offense. 

Side note - Something we have never had to do but it sort of sucks drafting so late in rounds.  My mocks I have to either reach for guys I want or trade up, or just miss on them.  Much less ability to maneuver and target guys when picking so late in the rounds.  Good problem to have, but just not used to it.