A 2024 OFF-SEASON PROJECTION (POST NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME)

Karnage84

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Vildor was in perfect position on his play, he just completely whiffed and let it bounce off his face mask.  That has nothing to do with the position they were in. If he catches that ball, the defense is stopping the shredding.  The biggest shredding of our defense was a fluke play.  

The 4th down drop by Reynolds he was wide open and the ball hit him in the chest.  That seems like being put in a pretty good situation.  If he makes that catch, DC is a genius for going for it and killing their momentum and the win probability after the catch would have significantly increased.  

The second down drop by Laporta and the third down drop by Reynolds they were both wide open going over the middle.  They were put in a great position by the coaching staff. 

This isnt even taking into account the other 4th down call.  That play did not have fluky impacts.  

Not to mention Ben getting cute with ArSB at Rb on 3rd down run or going away from running game.

Heck Dan needs to answer why Gibbs never got another rush attempt after fumble. Kid was good enough to ride all the way to Championship game and makes 1 mistake and you don't give him chance to rectify it.

that's a travesty. The kid was a huge mismatch to SF and they didn't give him another shot. 

Just now, detfan782004 said:

Not to mention Ben getting cute with ArSB at Rb on 3rd down run or going away from running game.

Heck Dan needs to answer why Gibbs never got another rush attempt after fumble. Kid was good enough to ride all the way to Championship game and makes 1 mistake and you don't give him chance to rectify it.

that's a travesty. The kid was a huge mismatch to SF and they didn't give him another shot. 

Again, ARSB's run got positive yards.  Also there is a thing called deception and doing things other teams haven't seen is usually a good idea.  There was nothing wrong with that play call. You are just making things up to be mad at. 

After the Gibbs fumble we ran the ball 2 more times in the game.  As we already went over, maybe one of those plays should have been a run but also if Reynolds or Laporta catch the balls they should have, we have more opportunities to run.  In the two runs Monty had he gained 22 yards.  He was gashing SF as well so it made sense to ride him.

Gibbs had three balls thrown to him after the fumble so we still tried to get the ball in his hands in other ways. 

There were a couple of questionable playcalls but I was good with the game-plan. They have got to figure out how to own the 3rd quarter. We were terrible in the 3rd for almost the entire season.

A lot of the problems were personnel related. We have gaping holes in a few spots and it's tough to cover them with scheme. We don't have a Mahomes (or even a Stafford. Or even Purdy) to make absolute magic happen. We have to continue to keep Goff clean and he'll continue to be a statuesque top 5 QB out of the pocket. We have to continue to stop the run. Now we need to stop the big play deep with a CB or another EDGE. We need a really good kicker we can rely on. We've got some contracts to give out, but I think we still have a decent amount of money to play with.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Again, ARSB's run got positive yards.  Also there is a thing called deception and doing things other teams haven't seen is usually a good idea.  There was nothing wrong with that play call. You are just making things up to be mad at. 

After the Gibbs fumble we ran the ball 2 more times in the game.  As we already went over, maybe one of those plays should have been a run but also if Reynolds or Laporta catch the balls they should have, we have more opportunities to run.  In the two runs Monty had he gained 22 yards.  He was gashing SF as well so it made sense to ride him.

Gibbs had three balls thrown to him after the fumble so we still tried to get the ball in his hands in other ways. 

So they ran two more times in the game. Running was how they got the lead. 

But somehow them abandoning what was successful and dominant is not the coordinators fault.

okay 

55 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

But somehow them abandoning what was successful and dominant is not the coordinators fault.

okay 

How about how this example of how bad execution messed up a well-designed play and created a big time management problem at the end of the game:

Trailing 34-24 with 1:05 left, the Lions were facing a third-and-goal from the 1-yard line. Campbell believed running back David Montgomery could pound the ball into the end zone, and still holding all three timeouts, Detroit would have a shot to force a three-and-out and get the ball back.

Instead, Jameson Williams blew a block on the play and Montgomery was dropped 2 yards in the backfield, forcing Campbell to burn a timeout. Williams caught a touchdown on the following play, but holding only two timeouts, the Lions had no recourse to stop San Francisco from burning the rest of the clock.

Dan Campbell's explanation:

“Yeah, look the easy thing to do is to throw it,” Campbell said. Probably should’ve been the right thing, but for me, I wanted to run it. I thought we would just pop it. We had just (run the 2-minute offense) all the way down the field, throwing the football, and they were in a four-down front and I believed we’d walk right in. And we just missed a block. So then, yeah, I’ve got to use a timeout.

“So, hindsight, throw it four times. But I believed in that moment it was going to be a walk-and-run, and it didn’t work out. So, I gambled and lost.”

Dan Campbell probably made the right call in that situation by trying to run but Jameson Williams messed up.  The mistake made by Jameson Williams cost the Lions dearly.  Clearly, not an HC/OC issue.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2024/01/dan-campbell-explains-late-third-and-goal-run-that-forced-detroit-to-burn-timeout.html

24 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

How about how this example of how bad execution messed up a well-designed play and created a big time management problem at the end of the game:

Trailing 34-24 with 1:05 left, the Lions were facing a third-and-goal from the 1-yard line. Campbell believed running back David Montgomery could pound the ball into the end zone, and still holding all three timeouts, Detroit would have a shot to force a three-and-out and get the ball back.

Instead, Jameson Williams blew a block on the play and Montgomery was dropped 2 yards in the backfield, forcing Campbell to burn a timeout. Williams caught a touchdown on the following play, but holding only two timeouts, the Lions had no recourse to stop San Francisco from burning the rest of the clock.

Dan Campbell's explanation:

“Yeah, look the easy thing to do is to throw it,” Campbell said. Probably should’ve been the right thing, but for me, I wanted to run it. I thought we would just pop it. We had just (run the 2-minute offense) all the way down the field, throwing the football, and they were in a four-down front and I believed we’d walk right in. And we just missed a block. So then, yeah, I’ve got to use a timeout.

“So, hindsight, throw it four times. But I believed in that moment it was going to be a walk-and-run, and it didn’t work out. So, I gambled and lost.”

Dan Campbell probably made the right call in that situation by trying to run but Jameson Williams messed up.  The mistake made by Jameson Williams cost the Lions dearly.  Clearly, not an HC/OC issue.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2024/01/dan-campbell-explains-late-third-and-goal-run-that-forced-detroit-to-burn-timeout.html

Running call at end of game was dumb as ever. Regardless of execution. That was worst call of gamE for him. As soon as they lined up to run I was like this isn't going to end well.

Even commentators were saying clock would keep running.

purely dumb call for sure 

you can't say it's not HC issue when he sai ld he made a mistake. 

Edited by detfan782004

9 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

okay 

We fumbled, we ran once on the next drive and had two dropped passes. If those passes are caught, we can run again.  We can’t run on 3rd and 9.  

The next drive we ran once, and this is where I have said after the flea flicker we probably should have ran but we ran a short pass to Gibbs that was overthrown by Goff.  Then on third and long again we had to pass. 

The next drive we were down 10 and needed to score quickly. So yes, the number of runs was sufficient given the total number of plays we ran after that other than maybe 1, and our guys didn’t execute. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

There were a couple of questionable playcalls but I was good with the game-plan. They have got to figure out how to own the 3rd quarter. We were terrible in the 3rd for almost the entire season.

A lot of the problems were personnel related. We have gaping holes in a few spots and it's tough to cover them with scheme. We don't have a Mahomes (or even a Stafford. Or even Purdy) to make absolute magic happen. We have to continue to keep Goff clean and he'll continue to be a statuesque top 5 QB out of the pocket. We have to continue to stop the run. Now we need to stop the big play deep with a CB or another EDGE. We need a really good kicker we can rely on. We've got some contracts to give out, but I think we still have a decent amount of money to play with.

So you were good with them abandoning the run game against a team that struggle ld to stop the run? 

1 minute ago, nagahide13 said:

Game-flow disallowed it. The fumble and series of drops ended drives that would likely have included runs. There were only 2 playcalls in the game that I hated and 1 of them was a run.

Game flow did not disallow it. They abandoned it. They were not  down when they abandoned it. They were ahead. 

The run game was why they got up 17. They were shredding them on the ground. 

Edited by detfan782004

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

Game flow did not disallow it. They abandoned it. They were not  down when they abandoned it. They were ahead. 

The run game was why they got up 17. They were shredding them on the ground. 

The drops disallowed it. We ran early in games because we completed passes and had multiple first downs in a single drive.  Not only because we could run, but because we could pass for them and then have another three chances to run. In the second half, we couldn’t catch balls and it killed drives and greatly reduced the chances to run the ball.  Like I showed earlier, we ran 45% of the plays in the second half until the last drive when we had to pass to move quickly. The game flow and dropped passes 100% took away the ability to run.  

8 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The drops disallowed it. We ran early in games because we completed passes and had multiple first downs in a single drive.  Not only because we could run, but because we could pass for them and then have another three chances to run. In the second half, we couldn’t catch balls and it killed drives and greatly reduced the chances to run the ball.  Like I showed earlier, we ran 45% of the plays in the second half until the last drive when we had to pass to move quickly. The game flow and dropped passes 100% took away the ability to run.  

Drops that would not have happened if they ran there ball. Facts remain they went away from run game that got them lead. Starting dropping balls because they weren't running.

it can be spun a million ways but facts are facts. They ran all over SF and stopped running.