A 2024 OFF-SEASON PROJECTION (POST NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME)

Karnage84

44 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Drops that would not have happened if they ran there ball. Facts remain they went away from run game that got them lead. Starting dropping balls because they weren't running.

it can be spun a million ways but facts are facts. They ran all over SF and stopped running. 

I do feel like we should have run the ball on 4th and 2 instead of the pass. Who knows what SF was presenting or what the Lions saw that led to a pass but that was my only question mark at the time. Especially because of how effective we had been. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I do feel like we should have run the ball on 4th and 2 instead of the pass. Who knows what SF was presenting or what the Lions saw that led to a pass but that was my only question mark at the time. Especially because of how effective we had been. 

That's the point. Run game was effective entire first half and then Ben must have gotten bored winning that way 

2 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

That's the point. Run game was effective entire first half and then Ben must have gotten bored winning that way 

That's not going to be it... they're playing to win. There's stuff they are trying to set up and/or stuff they see that has them make decisions to do things in a certain way. If KC had been playing the run, we rush and he gets stuffed then we have the same result and a different way to complain about it. If the catch is made, this is a non-discussion because it was a gamble that paid off. We probably get another 7 points out of that. 

Could Johnson have expected the Niners to go all in on the rush and thought he could sneak one out with a pass? Sure. Was he wrong? Yes. I don't believe he made that call because he was "bored". 

24 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

That's not going to be it... they're playing to win. There's stuff they are trying to set up and/or stuff they see that has them make decisions to do things in a certain way. If KC had been playing the run, we rush and he gets stuffed then we have the same result and a different way to complain about it. If the catch is made, this is a non-discussion because it was a gamble that paid off. We probably get another 7 points out of that. 

Could Johnson have expected the Niners to go all in on the rush and thought he could sneak one out with a pass? Sure. Was he wrong? Yes. I don't believe he made that call because he was "bored". 

I'm not talking about just that call. I'm talking the entire second half going away from run.

He literally went into halftime up 17 and came out with a different game plan and lost 

So I was just watching the latest St.Brown Bros podcast on YouTube and Amon Ra mentioned multiple times trying to get EQ to come to Detroit since he's a free agent.

Is he allowed to do that? Isn't trying to recruit a guy before the start of free agency considered tempering?

As cool as it would be having a pair of brothers on the same offense I'm not sure EQ would really have much value.

We could use a bigger body and he is 6'5 215 but he's never really been more then a bottom of the depth chart WR so I'm not sure how much help he would really offer.

Edited by rob_shadows

15 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

So I was just watching the latest St.Brown Bros podcast on YouTube and Amon Ra mentioned multiple times trying to get EQ to come to Detroit since he's a free agent.

Is he allowed to do that? Isn't trying to recruit a guy before the start of free agency considered tempering?

As cool as it would be having a pair of brothers on the same offense I'm not sure EQ would really have much value.

We could use a bigger body and he is 6'5 215 but he's never really been more then a bottom of the depth chart WR so I'm not sure how much help he would really offer.

I would sign EQ to a 5 year deal for $3M a year if ARSB will sign a 5 year deal at $22M per year. He could take over the DPJ role and just be here to keep our primary WR happy. Unfortunately I think ARSB will be signing for $28+ per year though and no room for brothers if thats the case. 

20 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would sign EQ to a 5 year deal for $3M a year if ARSB will sign a 5 year deal at $22M per year. He could take over the DPJ role and just be here to keep our primary WR happy. Unfortunately I think ARSB will be signing for $28+ per year though and no room for brothers if thats the case. 

I feel like it'll be more like $25M a year. Over The Cap has him around $24M

Just now, idoubtit said:

I think he is suggesting a discount for signing his brother.

Well @Sllim Pickens suggested $28M. He could be right but it feels a bit rich. 

EQ has been a subpar blocker and average WR. OTC has a valuation of $400k while his 2023 cap hit was under $1.2M. DPJ was $1.5M. So we could arguably swap DPJ out for EQ. It'd be a slight drop off as a blocker but essentially a lateral move. 

11 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Well @Sllim Pickens suggested $28M. He could be right but it feels a bit rich. 

EQ has been a subpar blocker and average WR. OTC has a valuation of $400k while his 2023 cap hit was under $1.2M. DPJ was $1.5M. So we could arguably swap DPJ out for EQ. It'd be a slight drop off as a blocker but essentially a lateral move. 

The way the league goes, top players sign the biggest deals at their position when they re-sign.  Tyreke Hill is making 30M a year and Devante Adams is making 28M, Cooper Kupp is at 26.7, AJ Brown at 25M, Diggs and Metcalkf at 24M, and Deebo at 23.9M.  I can see him not getting 30 or more but I fully expect him to be the 2nd or 3rd highest paid WR until JJ and Chase sign new deals. 

2024 COACHING CHANGES VS LIONS SCHEDULE

NEW HC'S

HOME

• Seattle - Mike MacDonald (ex-BAL DC)
  • Tennessee - Brian Callahan (ex-CIN OC)

AWAY

None

NEW COORDINATORS

HOME

• Green Bay - Jeff Hafley, DC (ex- Boston College HC)
  • Buffalo - Joe Brady, OC (ex-BUF QB coach/interim OC)
  • Chicago - Shane Waldron, OC (ex-SEA OC); Eric Washington, DC (ex-BUF DL coach/Asst HC)
  • Jacksonville - Ryan Nielsen, DC (ex-ATL DC)
  • Dallas - TBD, DC

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The way the league goes, top players sign the biggest deals at their position when they re-sign.  Tyreke Hill is making 30M a year and Devante Adams is making 28M, Cooper Kupp is at 26.7, AJ Brown at 25M, Diggs and Metcalkf at 24M, and Deebo at 23.9M.  I can see him not getting 30 or more but I fully expect him to be the 2nd or 3rd highest paid WR until JJ and Chase sign new deals. 

Valid points

I was listening to The Ticket the other day and host Jon Jansen had a great suggestion for free agency:

Miami Dolphins OG Robert Hunt

He grades out pretty well overall (including in both zone and gap run blocking). He's projected at around $12M/year which is about the same money as Jonah. However, he offers versatility as he can also play OT. 

The show also suggested re-signing Glasgow (which I agree with) based on his play and his versatility to play LG, OC, RG. 

So the Lions starting OL group would be (assuming Ragnow returns):

LT - Decker, Skipper

LG - Hunt, Awosika

OC - Ragnow, Glasgow

RG - Glasgow, Sorsdal

RT - Sewell

If Ragnow retires, then that would increase the urgency to draft an OC or bring someone in via FA. However, we should consider adding someone in the draft either way that can play OC. 

• Like 1