LA Rams: Gameday Thread

MDY10

1 hour ago, MDY10 said:

Looks like Kyren will be the punt returner. Interesting decision considering his inability to stay healthy. Thought Smith had a good pre season and deserved a shot at the final 53

Idiotic move. Almost as if McVay is trying to make things more difficult than they need to be.

So I get the anger over the trade but I have a question. Who is a player we traded away that went on to success with his new team that we regret? Goff doesn't count for 2 reasons. He was one of the most hated Rams and Stafford won a Lombardi.

I can't think of a guy we traded away that we regret. Woods is close but we replaced him and not only has he changed teams a time or two he has t matched his success with us.

20 hours ago, MDY10 said:

Looks like Kyren will be the punt returner. Interesting decision considering his inability to stay healthy. Thought Smith had a good pre season and deserved a shot at the final 53

19 hours ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

Idiotic move. Almost as if McVay is trying to make things more difficult than they need to be.

Yes so they have drafted Corum to lighten the workload of Williams and not to get him injured but now they asked him to do punt return ? 

1 ) Who's idea is that ? 

2) Are they stupid ?

3) How come, it has been like forever they can't find someone to punt and return kick ? 

On 8/27/2024 at 7:35 PM, Football_Bachelor08 said:

Or almost as if McVay doesn't give a rat's youknowwhat about returns - which given how we've had an abysmal return game basically since Pharoah Brown was our returner (and even then it wasn't that great), so he's kind of grown accustom to succeeding in spite of it.  People were freaking out about Kupp being our punt returner the season he hit the triple-crown.  Kyren's basically gonna be back there to fair catch the majority of the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr LBC said:

Or almost as if McVay doesn't give a rat's youknowwhat about returns - which given how we've had an abysmal return game basically since Pharoah Brown was our returner (and even then it wasn't that great), so he's kind of grown accustom to succeeding in spite of it.  People were freaking out about Kupp being our punt returner the season he hit the triple-crown.  Kyren's basically gonna be back there to fair catch the majority of the time.

Wow plan for special team is still the same. We have the weakest ST of all NFL for years now...

14 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Wow plan for special team is still the same. We have the weakest ST of all NFL for years now...

Sorry, but I'm going to side with the analytics guru who has won a Lombardi over random "I know better" guys off the internet.  Is it perfect?  No.  You don't get perfect in this league.

If you don't think that McVay hasn't factored the cost/benefit analysis (at minimum) of how necessary an average return-game is, with the new rules in play which we haven't seen but minimally in the preseason, versus the potential for turnovers off special teams... well, I don't know what to tell you other than you're failing at objectivity.

Notice that Kyren is listed as the PUNT returner, not the kick returner.  25% of punts, since the rule change that went into effect last season, resulted in fair catches; that's not accounting for the number that resulted in touchbacks.  The rule change actually was put in place to reward fair catches, largely as a concussion-preventative.  And... wait for it, for the first several games of last season before we did the right think and gave up on Akers to move on to Kyren, guess who our punt returner was?  Yeah, that'd be Kyren.

Sometimes the analytics say to just eliminate or minimize the risks - particularly if you trust your system (algorithm in any other statistics-dictated field).  You do that by putting your more surehanded guys back there to minimize the amount of muffed punts who still offer you the vision and physical ability, should a ++ situation crease present itself, to capitalize on such a situation.

You want to knock the quality of our ST coverage teams in recent seasons?  Go right ahead.  I don't think anyone's going to argue with you.  It was Blackburn's first season as a coordinator (entirely), so his seat is definitely hot, but you don't throw coach out after one poor season, particularly when it's his first season in the job and even more so when it's his first season ever doing the job.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, El Ramster said:

It’s crazy how we come at their necks. Yet, they always make it happen. I’m over IT, I’m just mad tight that trash Reeder got the green dot. Gosh Damm that dude is hot garbage. 

I think for me, it was being more upset that we have to watch Reeder play again. I have nightmares of 49ers players trucking this guy play after after play lol 

After a few days I’m back to just saying F it and just to trust them. At the end of the day it’ll be the end of the season and as usual we will be talking about how they somehow made it work. Mcvay has a lot of trust in what he sees on defense. 

Edited by MDY10

1 hour ago, MDY10 said:

I think for me, it was being more upset that we have to watch Reeder play again. I have nightmares of 49ers players trucking this guy play after after play lol 

After a few days I’m back to just saying F it and trust to trust them. At the end of the day it’ll be the end of the season and as usual we will be talking about how they somehow made it work. Mcvay has a lot of trust in what he sees on defense. 

The fear of Reeder is also more based on if we were actually sticking with a carbon-copy or near-abouts of Morris' scheme and I'm not at all convinced that that's what Shula is doing.  He's been the LB coach with us for several seasons; he's well aware of Reeder's deficiencies.  The absence of AD should actually facilitate Reeder potentially being on the field less because we're going to need to pop more guys in there to pass-rush, which means less numbers in terms of linebackers to just sit back and is likely to mean more base nickel or 3-safety shell looks.  And I still think it's possible that they give Hoecht some shading toward the inside - similarly to how Ernest was moved from EDGE to ILB, because we have more depth (not fantastic, but depth with upside) there than we've had in previous seasons that necessitated keeping him out wide.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

Sorry, but I'm going to side with the analytics guru who has won a Lombardi over random "I know better" guys off the internet.  Is it perfect?  No.  You don't get perfect in this league.

If you don't think that McVay hasn't factored the cost/benefit analysis (at minimum) of how necessary an average return-game is, with the new rules in play which we haven't seen but minimally in the preseason, versus the potential for turnovers off special teams... well, I don't know what to tell you other than you're failing at objectivity.

Notice that Kyren is listed as the PUNT returner, not the kick returner.  25% of punts, since the rule change that went into effect last season, resulted in fair catches; that's not accounting for the number that resulted in touchbacks.  The rule change actually was put in place to reward fair catches, largely as a concussion-preventative.  And... wait for it, for the first several games of last season before we did the right think and gave up on Akers to move on to Kyren, guess who our punt returner was?  Yeah, that'd be Kyren.

Sometimes the analytics say to just eliminate or minimize the risks - particularly if you trust your system (algorithm in any other statistics-dictated field).  You do that by putting your more surehanded guys back there to minimize the amount of muffed punts who still offer you the vision and physical ability, should a ++ situation crease present itself, to capitalize on such a situation.

You want to knock the quality of our ST coverage teams in recent seasons?  Go right ahead.  I don't think anyone's going to argue with you.  It was Blackburn's first season as a coordinator (entirely), so his seat is definitely hot, but you don't throw coach out after one poor season, particularly when it's his first season in the job and even more so when it's his first season ever doing the job.

Yes, doing nothing is safer that doing something, thanks Analytics ! 

If you have a weak ST, of course it's safer to not return the punt or the kick. And i understand Mcvay to do nothing because of the weakness of the ST.

But for team, that invest in ST, it could be an asset to kick or return team. 

But that's Mcvay choice to not care about ST after the departure of Bones.