Off-season

Beck Bristow

11 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

All if our linebacker depth is free agents. Sneaky need to address this off-season, most likely in the draft.

I'll be shocked if Bailey isn't back, and on the cheap.  ADG may get more than we are willing to spend with Wilson and Pratt under contract.  I do think we take at least 1 LB in the draft this year.

I think we sign at least one CB in FA.  I don't know if we go the rebound type looking to re-establish his value on a 1 year deal or the ascending type like we did with Chido though.

The first of many...

CIN
    JC Latham
    OT Alabama
    CIN
    T'Vondre Sweat
    DT Texas
    CIN
    Ja'Lynn Polk
    WR Washington
    CIN
    Braelon Allen
    RB Wisconsin
    CIN
    Theo Johnson
    TE Penn State
    CIN
    Aaron Casey
    LB Indiana
    CIN
    Woodi Washington
    CB Oklahoma

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I'll be shocked if Bailey isn't back, and on the cheap.  ADG may get more than we are willing to spend with Wilson and Pratt under contract.  I do think we take at least 1 LB in the draft this year.

I think we sign at least one CB in FA.  I don't know if we go the rebound type looking to re-establish his value on a 1 year deal or the ascending type like we did with Chido though.

I'm thinking a talented vet who isn't being offered a starting position. The Eli Apple pickup from a few seasons back fits this role 

7 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Chido was both actually, coming off the ACL injury in Dallas.  We need to get a guy, and an Apple type signing would do wonders.  But it has to be a reliable guy, not a Sydney Jones type.

I won't be surprised if they kept both Bailey and Batchie honestly.  Then one of the practice squad guys maybe takes a leap next year as the 5th LB.  I know we have 9 picks, but there are a ton of early needs that have to be addressed, and free agency might only fill one or two needs if they even go for a top guy or two from outside.  I firmly believe this draft will probably net at least 2 OL and 3 DL and I wouldn't be shocked if all three DL were DTs.  Keep Tee, maybe sign the RT from New England (Onwenu) and fill in with the rest.  Then if Newton (Illinois) makes it to us, we pounce.  Grab Sweat in the second (even if we have to trade up) and another NT in the 4th or 5th.   TE in the third.

If they trade away Tee, it almost has to be for a pick to replace him in the first for Odunze or Coleman, and maybe Brian Thomas.  I think it's easier (but more expensive obviously) to just extend him and keep the 3 amigos together (Joey Brr, not Boyd).

I wouldn't be surprised if the team tags Tee but would be surprised if they sign a top tier free agent from outside. We have a lot of cap space but Chase expects an extension before next season and we don't have many obvious cap cuts, except perhaps for Mixon. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the team tags Tee but would be surprised if they sign a top tier free agent from outside. We have a lot of cap space but Chase expects an extension before next season and we don't have many obvious cap cuts, except perhaps for Mixon. 

I believe you are correct. Probably mid tier signings, but that cap space will shrink very quick.

18 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I believe you are correct. Probably mid tier signings, but that cap space will shrink very quick.

It depends on how they manage it. They'll no doubt exercise the 5th year option on Chase by the early May deadline. What they could do is sign him to a 5 year/150 mil extension but it starts in 2026. If they give him a 30 mil signing bonus, it gets pro-rated over the first 5 years so 2024-2028. So his cap number this year only goes up 6 mil. And that's without any financial gymnastics. Bengals could afford to replace Reader with Chris Jones if they wanted to, I just doubt they are aggressive in free agency. 

20 hours ago, sparky151 said:

If we sign an outside free agent or two, it will be a defensive tackle and maybe a starting RT.  Tee gets tagged either way, whether they extend him or not. Then they try to keep as many role players as they can.  Once there, the rest will de devoted to the rookies and Chase's extension.  There won't be much rollover this year.

11 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Callahan getting a head coach interview with Carolina. If he goes, Pitcher is probably the replacement in house.

He joins a big list, but I think with that owner, a top level guy might pass for another job or wait till next year.  I think he has a better chance than most just based on that.

Agree the Panthers job is one of the less desirable in the NFL. But it's hard to see Callahan as a strong candidate. He's connected to the Bengals success with Burrow and Browning was ready to go when called upon. But Callahan doesn't call plays so he won't get full credit over someone like Ben Johnson. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Agree the Panthers job is one of the less desirable in the NFL. But it's hard to see Callahan as a strong candidate. He's connected to the Bengals success with Burrow and Browning was ready to go when called upon. But Callahan doesn't call plays so he won't get full credit over someone like Ben Johnson. 

I don't suspect he was first choice over Johnson ,but the offense not completely melting down really is a really good credit to him.

It's Mock Draft Monday!

18. CIN JC Latham OT Alabama

we seem to be in good shape for a starting RT at this pick. I fully expect a Cody Ford re-sign as the nominal starter going into the draft with the expectation that you can get someone to start here, whether it be Latham in this scenario or Mims or Fuaga 

49. CIN Leonard Taylor DT Miami (FL)

need to improve pass rush and run defense at the tackle position. BJ Hill is the only one to bring back here.

80. CIN Ben Sinnott TE Kansas State

111. CIN Braelon Allen RB Wisconsin

142. CIN Drake Nugent OC Michigan

178. CIN DeWayne Carter DT Duke

209. CIN Nehemiah Pritchett CB Auburn