Off-season

Beck Bristow

On 1/3/2024 at 7:06 PM, sparky151 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the team tags Tee but would be surprised if they sign a top tier free agent from outside. We have a lot of cap space but Chase expects an extension before next season and we don't have many obvious cap cuts, except perhaps for Mixon. 

Chase's extension will only affect this year's cap with prorated portion of his signing bonus.  His 4th and 5th year salaries are locked in

That's if they keep his rookie deal in place. Usually extensions are done as new contracts rather than add-ons. 

He'll want top of the market money. Currently that's about 30 mil per year for Tyreek Hill. If Ceedee Lamb or Justin Jefferson do deals before Ja'Marr, then it could be higher. IMO he deserves top 5 pay but not to be the highest paid.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

That's if they keep his rookie deal in place. Usually extensions are done as new contracts rather than add-ons. 

He'll want top of the market money. Currently that's about 30 mil per year for Tyreek Hill. If Ceedee Lamb or Justin Jefferson do deals before Ja'Marr, then it could be higher. IMO he deserves top 5 pay but not to be the highest paid.

The literal definition of "extension" is to add on.  Every extension adds on to what is already in place.  If they tore it up for a new deal, they have re-signed that player.  Just about every big money second contract is an extension.  Burrow was,  Mahomes was.  Herbert was.  I could do this for quite awhile, but I think the point is there.  Lamar Jackson was re-signed.  

Top money and top real money are two entirely different things as well.  Tyreek Hill and AJ Brown both got a last year escalation, over $40 mill, that will never be paid.  So those $30 mill averages are like $25.6  mill averages in "real" years.  This was the biggest hangup from extending Higgins last year.  Mulaghetta was using the inflated average, but we all know Mike Brown isn't doing that.  I guess with Chase they will have to put that in there if he doesn't sign last.  They could do it with Tee as well, if they re-sign him.  

Lol, that's not how it works. Burrow's new contract replaced his 2024 base salary from his rookie deal with a new amount, $10,714,000. His rookie deal was 4 years for 36 mil with almost 24 mil of that in signing bonus. 

We'll see if Uno is amenable to playing on his rookie deal for 2 more years while collecting a big signing bonus for his next contract. He may well be but it's more likely other terms change. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Lol, that's not how it works. Burrow's new contract replaced his 2024 base salary from his rookie deal with a new amount, $10,714,000. His rookie deal was 4 years for 36 mil with almost 24 mil of that in signing bonus. 

We'll see if Uno is amenable to playing on his rookie deal for 2 more years while collecting a big signing bonus for his next contract. He may well be but it's more likely other terms change. 

I'm not quoting Burrow's new deal or Chase's rookie deal.  I'm quoting the structure of the top 2 current second contracts of WRs in the NFL as of this moment (which go back two offseasons  back after the trade of Hill to Miami and Brown to Philly).

Since you obviously don't think I know I'm talking about, feel free to read the links below and then explain to me how I don't understand how it works.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/tyreek-hill-19119/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/aj-brown-29087/

And since I was going off of memory since last offseason (and suffered a severe concussion in the interim) I stand corrected on Browns base the last year.  It's only $30 mill not $38 mill

Well, Tyreek Hill is on his 3rd contract, not his second. That's not counting his restructuring, which is actually a new, amended contract but it doesn't change the length of the deal or how much the player gets in the current year. 

Anyway, the point is that if Chase is extended, his new contract will cover the 2024 and 2025 seasons and replace his rookie deal, which currently covers 2024 and his 5th year option which will cover 2025. For instance rookie contracts usually don't have many incentives in them as they have to be counted as LTBE. But the team would no doubt prefer to pay for performance so his new deal may well have incentives tied to production or honors won or availability. 

24 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Well, Tyreek Hill is on his 3rd contract, not his second. That's not counting his restructuring, which is actually a new, amended contract but it doesn't change the length of the deal or how much the player gets in the current year. 

So how does it being second or third contract change the fact that in 2026, the final year on this deal, has a final year with a base salary of $43.9 million?  And it isn't guaranteed?  Meaning it will never be paid out.  That final year is so high it actually raised the AVERAGE $5 mill per season.  

27 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Anyway, the point is that if Chase is extended, his new contract will cover the 2024 and 2025 seasons and replace his rookie deal, which currently covers 2024 and his 5th year option which will cover 2025. For instance rookie contracts usually don't have many incentives in them as they have to be counted as LTBE. But the team would no doubt prefer to pay for performance so his new deal may well have incentives tied to production or honors won or availability. 

Well, let's have at this as well.  When Joey B signed his EXTENSION, he added years to the existing two years remaining as well as including the current 5th year option price of $29 mill.  The contract doesn't escalate into the $45 mill range until 2025.  Why?  Because they added on to the existing structure.  And pretty much all top players who get extended keep the remaining years on while also getting a ton of guaranteed money up front that some teams absorb immediately, while others push it evenly into future years.  If Chase gets extended this year, they will keep the fourth year of the contract intact, and will undoubtedly add the fifth year option (as he is a first rounder) as his based salary next year.  Then comes the extension years after that, where his base will jump in the $25-30 mill range.

And if Higgins gets an extension, ghuess what he doesn't have?  Years remaining, so his contract would include a high signing bonus now with a reduced salary this year to even out the cap hits, unless they decide to just bite the bullet this year with a high salary on top of it, reducing his future cap hits so that they can actually afford both him and Chase when Chase's new years kick in at that high salary.  TYhat's how I'd structure it anyway.

You continue to claim, incorrectly, that an extension doesn't alter the current contract. It replaces the current deal. It's possible the player and team will agree to keep the current years exactly the same but it's also an opportunity for changes and usually some are made. Burrow's increased base salary (in addition to the new signing and roster bonuses) for 2023 is an example of that. Chase will most likely want similar treatment if at a lower scale. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

You continue to claim, incorrectly, that an extension doesn't alter the current contract. It replaces the current deal. It's possible the player and team will agree to keep the current years exactly the same but it's also an opportunity for changes and usually some are made. Burrow's increased base salary (in addition to the new signing and roster bonuses) for 2023 is an example of that. Chase will most likely want similar treatment if at a lower scale. 

And you continue to ignore that the years left become part of the extension.  Burrow's BASE salary didn;'t jump.  His cap hit did because of the huge signing bonus.  Burrow's base salary next season is $29 plus million.  Why?  It was the fifth year option already established.  If Chase gets extended, his base salary will remain as is...the increased money money will be from guaranteed bonuses.  If you don't believe that, we will revisit the numbers after said extension is signed.   

The word extension literally means to add on.  They will activate Chase's fifth year option, then extend him, be it this offseason or next.  And if it it this season, those two base salaries (this and next on said 5th yr option ) will not change.  

Extension as not a straight synonym of re-signing in contract talk.  

Sorry, I should have said Burrow's 2024 base salary changed with the new contract. The team exercised his 5th year option last spring. Because he had made the probowl, the guaranteed salary was close to 30 mil. In his extension that number was dropped to 10.7 mil. In other words, his base salary for a year he was already under contract for changed. 

Congrats to Callahan on getting the much deserved head position in Tennessee. Much deserved and a good fit I think. I hope he does well there, just not too well. Now to see who fills that role and why is it Dan Pitcher, plus any other movement in the coaching staff as a result. I know they aren't being proactive about coaching changes but I don't hate the idea of a few tweaks this year.

I hope Brian hires Bill as his O-line coach for the Titans. But Bengals should move fast and hire the Browns assistant O-line coach or the Eagles to replace Pollack. 

Bengals will certainly offer Pitcher the OC job but some other teams will offer as well and they may let him call plays.

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I hope Brian hires Bill as his O-line coach for the Titans. But Bengals should move fast and hire the Browns assistant O-line coach or the Eagles to replace Pollack. 

Bengals will certainly offer Pitcher the OC job but some other teams will offer as well and they may let him call plays.

Calling the plays is a tad over-rated.  Pitcher would get to design/create the playbook, set aside specific packages each week preparing for specific opponents, and tweak what doesn't work through the season.  

What many are underselling is the Burrow factor.  Would he prefer building his resume with Burrow, McConnell, Mac Jones or Derrick Carr?

13 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Calling the plays is a tad over-rated.  Pitcher would get to design/create the playbook, set aside specific packages each week preparing for specific opponents, and tweak what doesn't work through the season.  

What many are underselling is the Burrow factor.  Would he prefer building his resume with Burrow, McConnell, Mac Jones or Derrick Carr?

Calling the plays is really an ego thing. (Right, Zac?) The success of the offense can be determined by the work during the week more than calling the right play. It's making sure everyone is ready to execute plays and you know what plays will work. If the players execute offensively like I expect them to next season, Pitcher should stay here.