Off-season

Beck Bristow

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Hypothetical: Would you trade #18 overall and a franchised Tee Higgins for Justin Jefferson on the condition that a long term contract for Jefferson is worked out as part of the deal?

No. As much fun as it is to put that group back together, there's some dimishing returns there since we already have Chase. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Hypothetical: Would you trade #18 overall and a franchised Tee Higgins for Justin Jefferson on the condition that a long term contract for Jefferson is worked out as part of the deal?

Only if everyone involved agreed.  But I'd try to make it for a second.

Either way, it isn't happening.

Pitcher was promoted as expected. Most likely going to bump up the assistant QB coach Kragthorpe. I'd really like to see them bring an external in sooner than later. I'm wondering if we don't end up losing Walters as the OC under Callahan. I'd like both oline coaches replaced but that's unlikely. Still, as much as I'm pretty ok with the rest of the coaching staff, I'd like some outside perspective. And not so much at the low end as a generic offensive assistant or an assistant wide receiver coach in line to take over for Walters soon. The podcasts have floated the idea of adding a passing game coordinator position which I don't hate. Someone with fresh eyes who's been doing other things for the past few years.

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

Pitcher was promoted as expected. Most likely going to bump up the assistant QB coach Kragthorpe. I'd really like to see them bring an external in sooner than later. I'm wondering if we don't end up losing Walters as the OC under Callahan. I'd like both oline coaches replaced but that's unlikely. Still, as much as I'm pretty ok with the rest of the coaching staff, I'd like some outside perspective. And not so much at the low end as a generic offensive assistant or an assistant wide receiver coach in line to take over for Walters soon. The podcasts have floated the idea of adding a passing game coordinator position which I don't hate. Someone with fresh eyes who's been doing other things for the past few years.

Tennessee kept a few younger positional coaches that might be coordinator options as well.  Not sure if Callahan will have as much choice with the slate not wiped completely clean.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty quiet around here. Other than losing Callahan not too much happening in Bengalsland. 

I'll guess we tag Tee and let Jonah, Chido, and Boyd leave. Not sure about Reader, depending on when he can play again. 

Reader is really going to depend on how his medicals look.  If healthy, we have to have him back, but if the injury issues are going to become a problem (which is often the case on guys that big as they get older) then it may just not work.

Unless Chido and Boyd are coming back cheap, it's time to move on.  I'd hope that we could let them test the market and maybe be given an option to match, but I wouldn't hold it against either one if they just went elsewhere nor would I hold it against the Bengals if they just move on.

Tee is a bit trickier.  He's undoubtedly worth it based on talent.  But he's missed a fair amount of games in four years and extending Chase is priority 1 for the WR group.

Tee's market value is less now than a year ago but he may not see it that way. Bengals can certainly afford to give Chase a big contract, along the lines of what Tyreek Hill makes and tag Tee or extend him for a similar amount per year. But being able to do it doesn't mean the team will get it done. 

On 2/2/2024 at 2:42 PM, sparky151 said:

Pretty quiet around here. Other than losing Callahan not too much happening in Bengalsland. 

I'll guess we tag Tee and let Jonah, Chido, and Boyd leave. Not sure about Reader, depending on when he can play again. 

I do think we let Chido and Boyd go. Honestly I don't think either performed well enough to stay. I'd like to see us add a veteran corner to replace Chido though, feels awfully inexperienced back there. 

Boyd is interesting. Assuming he does leave, are we looking at replacing him as a receiver or do we give more two tight end looks? 

I hope we keep Reader, but if he has a shot getting paid multiple years somewhere else he should take it. I'd be very frustrated with him on a cheap one year deal somewhere else. Whether he stays or goes, I think we need to add at least two more playable DTs, either draft or free agents.

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

I do think we let Chido and Boyd go. Honestly I don't think either performed well enough to stay. I'd like to see us add a veteran corner to replace Chido though, feels awfully inexperienced back there. 

Boyd is interesting. Assuming he does leave, are we looking at replacing him as a receiver or do we give more two tight end looks? 

I hope we keep Reader, but if he has a shot getting paid multiple years somewhere else he should take it. I'd be very frustrated with him on a cheap one year deal somewhere else. Whether he stays or goes, I think we need to add at least two more playable DTs, either draft or free agents.

I want three DTs.  Two  3ts and a NT.  Or flip flopped.  Heck, keep TReader and still get three of them.  That room needs an overhaul.  Plus Hill is entering the final year of his deal.  

6 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I want three DTs.  Two  3ts and a NT.  Or flip flopped.  Heck, keep TReader and still get three of them.  That room needs an overhaul.  Plus Hill is entering the final year of his deal.  

You could easily justify drafting a DT in the first two rounds. We had nothing last year after DJ and BJ and it was one of the most glaring issues. That and inexperience at safety probably, at least defensively.

12 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals safety coach Rob Livingston has been hired by Deion Sanders to be his DC at Colorado. 

My guess is Bengals promote from within. 

Good for him. I hate to admit that I wasn't really thinking about him being gone but obviously all these guys want to advance there career. I don't see an obvious in house candidate to replace him though. Lots of older coaches like Coiffi and Duffner taking up those defensive assistants positions. I don't think they're position coach candidates.

Edited by Beck Bristow

34 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

And I'm immediately wrong 🤣

https://www.bengals.com/news/justin-rascati-pass-game-coordinator-brad-kragthorpe-jordan-kovacs-promoted

I forgot Jordan Kovacs existed. Kragthorpe was the expected move and a passing game coordinator is pretty forward thinking.

God willing he will do a much better job than the current run game coordinator has to this point.