Off-season

Beck Bristow

It's weird seeing fans and coach crying about hip drop tackles when our quarterback has a guy land on top of him, injuring his wrist and ending his season. That and the gamblers threatening to sue are so ridiculous I can't believe it.

I thought this was a Championship caliber team coming into the year. We should still win some games. We play a lot of teams with backup QBs coming up. Offensive play calling needs to represent. Might be a good time to let Callahan call plays. Unless Taylor wins a Superbowl, I'll always think he needs to pass that on.

Our defense is good, they just need the offense to give them some rest. Short drives that get them back on the field are killing them.

There are a bunch of interesting DTs in the draft. I think we need two even if we keep Reader.

I think it's fun we signed the local guy to the practice squad. 

I'm still going to be watching and rooting for wins. I'll care about draft picks once the order is set.

Edited by Beck Bristow
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

It's weird seeing fans and coach crying about hip drop tackles when our quarterback has a guy land on top of him, injuring his wrist and ending his season. That and the gamblers threatening to sue are so ridiculous I can't believe it.

I thought this was a Championship caliber team coming into the year. We should still win some games. We play a lot of teams with backup QBs coming up. Offensive play calling needs to represent. Might be a good time to let Callahan call plays. Unless Taylor wins a Superbowl, I'll always think he needs to pass that on.

Our defense is good, they just need the offense to give them some rest. Short drives that get them back on the field are killing them.

There are a bunch of interesting DTs in the draft. I think we need two even if we keep Reader.

I think it's fun we signed the local guy to the practice squad. 

I'm still going to be watching and rooting for wins. I'll care about draft picks once the order is set.

The ravens, especially Harbaugh, whine like little girls trying to create the narrative that suits them best.  Mama harbaugh sure raised two good ones there... one that cheats then cries when caught, the other that cries when he loses, and worse, even when he wins.

The ravens would be so much less of a heated rival if JH wasn't there.  More like a competitive rival.

As a season ticket holder, I have given up any hope or expectations for this season.  It makes it more enjoyable when they do win.  

Agreed about Callahan being given the reigns. 

Our defense is above average, and relies too heavily on turnovers to bail them out.  Case in point... Pratt trying to strip the ball against the TE at the end of the Houston game.  Get him down 12 yards prior (the yards he gained after breaking free) and that FG is longer than any kick the kicker had ever made.  And if yuou saw the kick, it was going wide left.  12 yards further out and it is definitely wide.  Take our chances in OT.

We need two DTs in the draft with Reader returning, 3 if not.  

As far as draft picks, I'm fine with moving way up.  My guy would be Newton, the only top end 3t in this draft.  Harrison will be long gone, so that temptation won't be there wherever we pick.  I also like the 1t from Texas and Stackhouse, the 1t from Georgia.  

Plitt is a fun story.  I never want to see him on the field in a regular season game.

I'm also done with Mulaghetta clients.  Tee signed a four year deal.  Injuries happen, but treating this year like he has (and I definitely blame the agent) isn't giving four years of effort.  I'd still love to keep him around, but his agent prefers going to teams that overspend.  So tag Tee and trade him if you can get a first back.

With Pitt coming in, I can totally see Browning having a great game, us putting up way better numbers, yet somehow one call flips it and Pitt gets a win.  Ugly, but that's how I see it playing out.

What exactly happened to the AFC?  Rodgers and Burrow out, the Bills regressing, Miami still can't beat winning teams, the Chargers are beyond dysfunctional.  Mahomes having a down year and still they sit in the top spot.  The eagles are destined to romp the SB.

Oh, and my reply button only works about 20% of the time on here.  No idea what that's about

Our defense isn't very good. We've come up with a lot of turnovers so that makes things look better than the reality, that other teams can move the ball on us and score on us at a better than average rate. 

Having Burrow to make plays for us covered for a lot of sins. Now we have to try to win games with a subpar running game, inexperienced QB, and mediocre defense. I'd be surprised if we win more than 2 of the remaining games and not surprised if we lost them all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

The ravens, especially Harbaugh, whine like little girls trying to create the narrative that suits them best.  Mama harbaugh sure raised two good ones there... one that cheats then cries when caught, the other that cries when he loses, and worse, even when he wins.

The ravens would be so much less of a heated rival if JH wasn't there.  More like a competitive rival.

As a season ticket holder, I have given up any hope or expectations for this season.  It makes it more enjoyable when they do win.  

Agreed about Callahan being given the reigns. 

Our defense is above average, and relies too heavily on turnovers to bail them out.  Case in point... Pratt trying to strip the ball against the TE at the end of the Houston game.  Get him down 12 yards prior (the yards he gained after breaking free) and that FG is longer than any kick the kicker had ever made.  And if you saw the kick, it was going wide left.  12 yards further out and it is definitely wide.  Take our chances in OT.

We need two DTs in the draft with Reader returning, 3 if not.  

As far as draft picks, I'm fine with moving way up.  My guy would be Newton, the only top end 3t in this draft.  Harrison will be long gone, so that temptation won't be there wherever we pick.  I also like the 1t from Texas and Stackhouse, the 1t from Georgia.  

Plitt is a fun story.  I never want to see him on the field in a regular season game.

I'm also done with Mulaghetta clients.  Tee signed a four year deal.  Injuries happen, but treating this year like he has (and I definitely blame the agent) isn't giving four years of effort.  I'd still love to keep him around, but his agent prefers going to teams that overspend.  So tag Tee and trade him if you can get a first back.

With Pitt coming in, I can totally see Browning having a great game, us putting up way better numbers, yet somehow one call flips it and Pitt gets a win.  Ugly, but that's how I see it playing out.

What exactly happened to the AFC?  Rodgers and Burrow out, the Bills regressing, Miami still can't beat winning teams, the Chargers are beyond dysfunctional.  Mahomes having a down year and still they sit in the top spot.  The eagles are destined to romp the SB.

Oh, and my reply button only works about 20% of the time on here.  No idea what that's about

I have that reply issue on my phone. Laptop maybe not, although I rarely open that up but it worked this time.

I really think those comments about Wilson were just to get head of the fact that they are constantly injuring players. "sometimes tendons tear against  us" right? Can't believe he's the better sibling.

I am hoping for some fun games.  I have gotten a little worked up with us having a good Bengals team to root for. No expectations can be a relief.

I have absolutely done mock drafts with DTs in the first three rounds.

Plitt I wouldn't mind seeing in garbage time. Depends on the circumstances.  But I don't know if I were a ticket holder I would be happy to see it.

You think Tee is milking his injury?  I hadn't got that vibe. But I definitely think the agent is more about "see how much money I got my last guy" Than getting a good deal for his clients. But simple fact is we can't pay two number one receivers and that is what Tee will want. So Tag and trade is fine or tag and play out the season works too

Of course we play PItt after the season is over.  Yuck. Although we might have the  better QB for that game.

I'm probably rooting for Eagles to win. I was made to watch the Kelce documentary recently.  I'd like to see that guy retire. And also I still wish the Bengals had drafted him.

On 11/20/2023 at 6:57 PM, sparky151 said:

Our defense isn't very good. We've come up with a lot of turnovers so that makes things look better than the reality, that other teams can move the ball on us and score on us at a better than average rate. 

Having Burrow to make plays for us covered for a lot of sins. Now we have to try to win games with a subpar running game, inexperienced QB, and mediocre defense. I'd be surprised if we win more than 2 of the remaining games and not surprised if we lost them all. 

Pretty much this. Our turnover rate on D is unsustainable.

• 1 month later...

Jake Brrr gave us some fun, probably earned a few more years in the league and hopefully gave the offensive game plan developers and the QB who executes it a little perspective on things. That, the 4th place schedule and a higher draft pick are pretty good take aways from a lost season. But I'm already thinking what I'd like the off-season priorities to be:

Our free agents

Tag Tee. Try to sign him if you can, but Jamar has a huge contract coming. Doubt that we can figure out how to pay a premium for both that they can get elsewhere.

Jonah, Chido, Irv Smith and Boyd should get let go. I'd like a veteran corner but Chido has been bad. It hurts to lose Boyd, but he doesn't look effective at all, even with one of the big guys out. I'd like to keep Drew Sample. He does lots of little things that help the offense. Hudson too. If its feasible, I'd get Reader back for one more year. We have no DT depth and that position basically needs rebuilt.

For draft I'm heavy on offensive line and defensive tackle. If we let Jonah go, we'll need a right tackle replacement unless we think that's Jackson Carman or Cody Ford. Interior offensive line needs depth at least and maybe starters. I'd like to add a TE, Wide receiver, corner and running back also. 

I'm pretty certain it's time to change offensive line coaches. Frank isn't getting the job done. We need to draft better too, but there's been an awful lot of money spent on this line for the consistently poor results.

Extend Chase and McPherson.

Tag Tee and either work out an extension or trade him for a high enough draft pick to replace him or for a starting RT or DT.  I'd prefer extending him, even though that puts a lot of money at WR.  Joe wants him.  Chase wants him.  It is a slippery slope either way.

Make a decision on Reader.  I'd try to get a low guaranteed salary with a ton of games played incentives.  Maybe two years.  But with his injury, he might not be ready until Halloween.

Make one splash signing in free agency.  Needs to be a 3t DT.  I'd start with Justin Madubuike.  There are a few other guys if that doesn't work out.  While some will say grab a starting RT, the top OL in free agency is...................... Jonah Williams, so the pickings are extremely slim.

Irregardless of what happens with Tee, I'm drafting a starting RT in the first (if they trade Tee, then that pick can draft a replacement), then multiple DTs and a TE in the mid rounds, with a RB, LB and WR late.  Now, if they can get a true centerfielder type, maybe draft that and slide Dax to slot CB and Hilton to nickel safety.

The consistent thing I get when doing simulators:

1.  Fuaga or Mims for RT

2.  Sweat NT

3.  TE or 3t

4.  whichever we didn't get in the third

5.  Stackhouse another NT

6.  WR (I've looked at the Texas AM Wr who also plays RB and is an explosive returner

7.  RB

We have 2 comp picks (5/7) that can be used on DBs

9 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Jake Brrr gave us some fun, probably earned a few more years in the league and hopefully gave the offensive game plan developers and the QB who executes it a little perspective on things. That, the 4th place schedule and a higher draft pick are pretty good take aways from a lost season. But I'm already thinking what I'd like the off-season priorities to be:

Our free agents

Tag Tee. Try to sign him if you can, but Jamar has a huge contract coming. Doubt that we can figure out how to pay a premium for both that they can get elsewhere.

Jonah, Chido, Irv Smith and Boyd should get let go. I'd like a veteran corner but Chido has been bad. It hurts to lose Boyd, but he doesn't look effective at all, even with one of the big guys out. I'd like to keep Drew Sample. He does lots of little things that help the offense. Hudson too. If its feasible, I'd get Reader back for one more year. We have no DT depth and that position basically needs rebuilt.

For draft I'm heavy on offensive line and defensive tackle. If we let Jonah go, we'll need a right tackle replacement unless we think that's Jackson Carman or Cody Ford. Interior offensive line needs depth at least and maybe starters. I'd like to add a TE, Wide receiver, corner and running back also. 

I'm pretty certain it's time to change offensive line coaches. Frank isn't getting the job done. We need to draft better too, but there's been an awful lot of money spent on this line for the consistently poor results.

Can't say I disagree with any of this, but considering the strength of this WR class I'd also be open to letting Higgins walk. I also think Iosivas can be good enough to start on the perimeter.

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Can't say I disagree with any of this, but considering the strength of this WR class I'd also be open to letting Higgins walk. I also think Iosivas can be good enough to start on the perimeter.

I wouldn't let Tee walk. He's either traded on the tag or kept. We aren't losing anyone else you would tag 

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Extend Chase and McPherson.

Tag Tee and either work out an extension or trade him for a high enough draft pick to replace him or for a starting RT or DT.  I'd prefer extending him, even though that puts a lot of money at WR.  Joe wants him.  Chase wants him.  It is a slippery slope either way.

Make a decision on Reader.  I'd try to get a low guaranteed salary with a ton of games played incentives.  Maybe two years.  But with his injury, he might not be ready until Halloween.

Make one splash signing in free agency.  Needs to be a 3t DT.  I'd start with Justin Madubuike.  There are a few other guys if that doesn't work out.  While some will say grab a starting RT, the top OL in free agency is...................... Jonah Williams, so the pickings are extremely slim.

Irregardless of what happens with Tee, I'm drafting a starting RT in the first (if they trade Tee, then that pick can draft a replacement), then multiple DTs and a TE in the mid rounds, with a RB, LB and WR late.  Now, if they can get a true centerfielder type, maybe draft that and slide Dax to slot CB and Hilton to nickel safety.

The consistent thing I get when doing simulators:

1.  Fuaga or Mims for RT

2.  Sweat NT

3.  TE or 3t

4.  whichever we didn't get in the third

5.  Stackhouse another NT

6.  WR (I've looked at the Texas AM Wr who also plays RB and is an explosive returner

7.  RB

We have 2 comp picks (5/7) that can be used on DBs

I see similar draft options. It really seems like we have to lock in on a first round tackle for next year. I feel like we should keep Boyd if we tag and trade Higgins. I'm not sure we can expect a rookie to come in and be Higgins. This feels like an all in year to me 

If we don't tag Tee, then I think it's a high probability we take a WR in round 1, which i'm not that against, because we do well drafting WR high.  It also frees up money for the lines in FA without that 2nd big WR contract, because Chase is about to get the Brinks truck.

If we do tag Tee, I think we do that with the idea that the only way we reach a long term deal is if we get a favorable contract for the team, which I don't think Tee will do.  I'm ok running it back one more year and then letting him walk in 2025.  Tee has missed a lot of games to be that secure in tying him to a long term deal.

DT and CB we definitely need a starter level of player.  Chido battled this year coming back from injury, but clearly wasn't the same guy.  Dax can still improve, but losing Jesse Bates hurt more than any of us want to admit.  BJ Hill had a good year, but pretty much no one behind him was above replacement level.

Same reason we have to resign Reader, even coming off an injury, or go into the top of the NT market again in FA.  No one we've put behind him has been good.

QB - All set with Burrow and Browning

RB - I think it's time to move on from Mixon and keep getting more speed at RB.  I say take a fast RB on day 3 every year until one hits.  Mixon hasn't averaged 4 ypc or above since 2021 and hasn't been over 4.1 ypc since 2018.  This should be a minimum cap hit position for that production

WR - Either Tee is back or we are taking one high.  Yoshi showed some promise as depth, Charlie Jones, not so much, might need to look for a slot in FA or the mid rounds of the draft assuming Boyd is gone.  Only way Boyd is back is if it's a wildly lower contract number.  His stats have been declining since he hasn't been force fed targets as WR1

TE - Absolutely bring back Hudson and Sample, it shouldn't cost much, and look for an upgrade wherever it can be found.

OT - Honestly, it might make more sense to tag Jonah than to tag Tee, WR's are everywhere, even serviceable OT's are hard to find.

IOL - Maybe a depth signing, but I think you swing for a mid round home run on a C/G type with physical traits and hope you nail the pick.

Edge - With Hendrickson extended, I think they stand pat with Hubbard and an improving Murphy.  Sample is an adequate 4th DE

IDL - Need to either resign Reader or sign a top of the market NT.  Don't trust our ability to draft one.  Maybe try to draft a backup, but we suck at that too.  Need at least 2 3 techs in the draft and FA.  Hill has been solid, but needs less snaps, we're leaning on him way too much

LB - Stand pat, maybe draft an athletic freak for depth late in the draft

S - Need one more good one, hopefully Battle Dax keeps improving

CB - Need another boundary CB for depth and need slot CB depth as Hilton is noticably aging.

K - Extend McPherson, nuff said

P - Robbins ain't it.  Sign someone for competition, wouldn't be opposed to a 7th rd punter as opposed to relying on a UDFA choosing to sign here.

We should look for a new O-line coach. Pollack hasn't really developed anyone. Volson is probably the closest but we've not gotten expected results with Carman or Smith.

The team has the highest paid D-line in the NFL and 6th highest paid O-line in 2023. So it's not a matter of resource allocation, we just aren't getting particularly good results for the money. 

We should extend Reader if he'll be available at the start of the year. Even then it would be hard to pass on Sweat in round 2 if he's available. Let Jonah, Chido, Boyd, and Irv go. Boyd will certainly have a market from teams which need a reliable receiver such as KC or Chicago. Jonah will be overpaid by someone.

Bengals should re-sign depth guys like Bailey, Irwin, Tupou. I'd bring back Tre Flowers, he took a paycut to go to Atlanta. We need someone who can cover TEs. Unless they want to sign Isaiah Simmons as a coverage specialist but he'll probably be too expensive. I don't expect a top tier outside free agent.

The team should certainly tag Tee and try to extend him. They can do an extension for Uno during the summer after they exercise his 5th year option. If we don't get a deal done with Tee, so be it. WR would be a higher draft priority then but we shouldn't trade Tee. 

My ideal draft would be something like this:

1 A quality RT who could also play LT if needed. So someone more like Paul or Morgan rather than Fuaga or Latham.

2 Probably a DT. Sweat would be the target here. Maybe Taylor from Miami or Murphy from UT.

3 This would be a good spot for a TE if there is value. Maybe Stover. 

4 A DB or RB would make sense here. Mikey Sainristil as the heir to Hilton would be a good fit.

5 A RB with power to replace Mixon and complement Brown

5-7 More depth, probably including a punter. 

All if our linebacker depth is free agents. Sneaky need to address this off-season, most likely in the draft.

I'm not sure that we don't need to sign a veteran to start at corner. The secondary feels up in the air. Do we trust Battle, Hill, Turner and CTB as the starting group along with Hilton? Do we need depth or someone to start?