Why are the Chiefs not trying to get better at WR?

mdonnelly21

21 minutes ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

They may need some better receivers, but am I the only one who thought Mahomes missed on a lot of passes in the Monday Night game against the Eagles?  His accuracy didn't look near as good as it usually does.

I think he’s pressing a bit because his receivers are garbage. But I mean he had 6 drops Monday night, most hitting receivers in their hands or only where they could get it. 

It would be nice if the receivers could help him out more and not need a perfectly placed football every time. Like make a play, be a pro, idk

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

I think he’s pressing a bit because his receivers are garbage. But I mean he had 6 drops Monday night, most hitting receivers in their hands or only where they could get it. 

It would be nice if the receivers could help him out more and not need a perfectly placed football every time. Like make a play, be a pro, idk

I imagine Mahomes is putting alot of pressure on himself, especially now after this game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

They may need some better receivers, but am I the only one who thought Mahomes missed on a lot of passes in the Monday Night game against the Eagles?  His accuracy didn't look near as good as it usually does.

Some of it is complicated, because most weeks it hasn't just been the receivers are dropping passes. There's some of that, but aside from the Lions and Eagles games, where the drops have legitimately lost us the game, the drops have been at least normal levels of bad. It's not really talent or athleticism either, the whole corp really are plus athletes. The biggest issue most weeks is just the lack of precision and refinement.

While Mahomes is still known for the creativity and athleticism and all that, that hasn't really been the core of the offense for a couple years now. Since teams decided two or three years ago that they just weren't going to let us win deep, no matter the cost, the offense switched back to a lot more west coast style stuff. Similar stuff to what we ran when Alex was here, but because that's what teams are giving us now, rather than that being all we could do under Smith. So the offense is much less win with athleticism, and much more, if it's man coverage you need to be at this spot at this time, if it's zone you need to be at that spot at that time, and you need to be able to tell what the defense is doing. And none of our current corp can do that.

You get Skyy Moore running slants or crossers into a defender's zone, rather than sitting down in the open spot where he should. Guys not coming back to the ball on curl routes (this was probably the bigger issue with the 4th and 25 attempt than Watson not catching it. He had like 2 or 3 yards to work back so Slay couldn't make that play.) There was a deep shot to Watson that looked nowhere close, and it's because it was a go route on the sideline and Watson worked back inside towards the hash, basically running towards the coverage and away from the ball. Toney wants to outjuke everyone instead of running forward. Rice looks lost on scramble drills. MVS is basically running cardio, running deep routes that we can't trust him enough to make it worth actually throwing them. Our receivers are kind of just dumb, from a football perspective. Except Kelce, who is still crazy cerebral, but man the injuries are impacting him way more than he's willing to admit.

We really do miss JuJu. And I don't think anyone expected that to be a thing. But he was that one guy at WR we had who would be where he was supposed to be, when he was supposed to be there, and would catch the ball every time. Kelce, JuJu, and McKinnon were really the key corp for that last year.

And Mahomes hasn't been perfect. He responds to pressure by trying to do more, and that leads to mistakes. He's had some INTs that I wouldn't say are uncharacteristic, but the times he has thrown them has been uncharacteristic. His risks are normally very calculated, but less so this year. And I think there's frustration there. But, in terms of bad throws and turnover worthy plays, he's actually been better this year than many others, at least statistically. It just all adds up to more this year. All the bad things going on in our offense magnifies the more basic stuff like the odd errant pass or bad pass pro rep.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Every time I see Mahomes throw a deep pass to MVS, I die a little inside. That guy might be the worst deep ball tracker/catcher I've ever seen, and I've watched some BAD deep ball guys on the Ravens during the Flacco years.

You have to know what you are getting with MVS.  He is super fast, and almost always will require a safety over the top to help out.  He is a very good downfield blocker for other receivers and running backs.  He also is only going to catch 50% of passes that come his way.  And in that, he will have a 3 catch 150 yard 2 TD game, followed by an 8 target, 2 catch, 25 yard game.  He is a very good complimentary piece, but he is still a complimentary piece.  

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Every time I see Mahomes throw a deep pass to MVS, I die a little inside. That guy might be the worst deep ball tracker/catcher I've ever seen, and I've watched some BAD deep ball guys on the Ravens during the Flacco years.

He's just here to get his cardio in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, General Tso said:

Feels like KC has a lot of decisions in the offseason with not that much cap space and "only" their normal amount of picks.

Do you resign Chris Jones?

Do you target a big name WR?

Who is going to protect Mahomes' blind side?

We're actually probably as well off as we've been cap-wise since the first superbowl win. We'll have like $65M with the presumed cut of MVS. I think Wanya Morris will be the likely plan at LT, they just didn't want to go into the season this year counting on a mid-round rookie outside. Smith was the higher floor, lower ceiling stopgap there.

The big question will be Jones or Sneed. I don't think they keep both. I think Jones has been better over his career for us, but Sneed is trending up while Jones is likely trending down. We haven't historically paid CBs, but we haven't historically paid guys past 30 either, save for Kelce. Though it could be argued Kelce has been a bargain for years on a technicality.

I don't think we need a big name WR, we just need someone reliable that Mahomes trusts. We were fine with this corp plus JuJu last year. JuJu isn't much to write home about, but he runs good routes, catches the ball consistently, and was very reliable. We need that back. I don't think it will be a big name, but with how Moore turned out, I do think there will be at least one noteworthy veteran in the mix, there. Just for some stability and predictability. If they can get a game changer, by all means, cool. Someone like Tee Higgins would be transformative. But I honestly think you could throw guys like Hunter Renfrow or Diontae Johnson or Zay Jones in this offense and it would solve so much (not commenting on free agency, necessarily, just the caliber of player that we need.)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

We're actually probably as well off as we've been cap-wise since the first superbowl win. We'll have like $65M with the presumed cut of MVS. I think Wanya Morris will be the likely plan at LT, they just didn't want to go into the season this year counting on a mid-round rookie outside. Smith was the higher floor, lower ceiling stopgap there.

The big question will be Jones or Sneed. I don't think they keep both. I think Jones has been better over his career for us, but Sneed is trending up while Jones is likely trending down. We haven't historically paid CBs, but we haven't historically paid guys past 30 either, save for Kelce. Though it could be argued Kelce has been a bargain for years on a technicality.

I don't think we need a big name WR, we just need someone reliable that Mahomes trusts. We were fine with this corp plus JuJu last year. JuJu isn't much to write home about, but he runs good routes, catches the ball consistently, and was very reliable. We need that back. I don't think it will be a big name, but with how Moore turned out, I do think there will be at least one noteworthy veteran in the mix, there. Just for some stability and predictability. If they can get a game changer, by all means, cool. Someone like Tee Higgins would be transformative. But I honestly think you could throw guys like Hunter Renfrow or Diontae Johnson or Zay Jones in this offense and it would solve so much (not commenting on free agency, necessarily, just the caliber of player that we need.)

Also Kelce looks checked out this season. Non zero chance he retires after this year.

22 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Also Kelce looks checked out this season. Non zero chance he retires after this year.

He’s been injured all year more than usual, you could be right. Idk we’ll see if he wants to retire then Godspeed my boy can do what he wants he’s done enough already. He’s 34 that’s ancient in TE years 

Edited by Chiefer