Why are the Chiefs not trying to get better at WR?

mdonnelly21

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

We're actually probably as well off as we've been cap-wise since the first superbowl win. We'll have like $65M with the presumed cut of MVS. I think Wanya Morris will be the likely plan at LT, they just didn't want to go into the season this year counting on a mid-round rookie outside. Smith was the higher floor, lower ceiling stopgap there.

The big question will be Jones or Sneed. I don't think they keep both. I think Jones has been better over his career for us, but Sneed is trending up while Jones is likely trending down. We haven't historically paid CBs, but we haven't historically paid guys past 30 either, save for Kelce. Though it could be argued Kelce has been a bargain for years on a technicality.

I don't think we need a big name WR, we just need someone reliable that Mahomes trusts. We were fine with this corp plus JuJu last year. JuJu isn't much to write home about, but he runs good routes, catches the ball consistently, and was very reliable. We need that back. I don't think it will be a big name, but with how Moore turned out, I do think there will be at least one noteworthy veteran in the mix, there. Just for some stability and predictability. If they can get a game changer, by all means, cool. Someone like Tee Higgins would be transformative. But I honestly think you could throw guys like Hunter Renfrow or Diontae Johnson or Zay Jones in this offense and it would solve so much (not commenting on free agency, necessarily, just the caliber of player that we need.)

Minimal upgrades to WR corps with another year older Travis Kelce seems like a risky bet, that they also made this year. I doubt they make that bet again.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Minimal upgrades to WR corps with another year older Travis Kelce seems like a risky bet, that they also made this year. I doubt they make that bet again.

Yeah we need a Superstar talent out there. Every good team has one, that can’t be a coincidence. Chiefs fan love to point to last year to say we don’t need Tyreek or a superstar receiver, but Kelce was the superstar receiver and Juju was certainly a 1000 yard caliber player. 

you can’t carry that same mindset when Kelce is 35, juju is long gone and praying on the continued development of Rashee Rice. Teams have obviously studied this new offense without Tyreek, and after a year of tape have found some effective strategies to deal with it

45 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Also Kelce looks checked out this season. Non zero chance he retires after this year.

I wouldn't say checked out, because he's simultaneously more frustrated than I've ever seen him. I think things are just harder for him than they have been in a long time. The injuries, the youth of the WR room, just getting older in general. And I think he probably thought everything would've worked itself out by now (which is kind of what we thought as fans, too.) Things haven't been this difficult for the offense since like 2016, and I'm not sure he knows how to deal with that now.

I would agree, I would not be surprised if he retires, though. He's in that stage where he has nothing left to prove, really. He could record chase if he wants to, but he really doesn't need to.

23 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

I would disagree a little. I think the bet they made this year was on youth and talent. They looked at Moore, Toney, Rice, even MVS to an extent, and said there's enough talent there it'll work out. I don't think they'll gamble on pure youth like that again. They really don't need a gamebreaker, though. We'd be like 11-1 right now if you literally just had a guy or two with good hands who can run the right routes on half a dozen key plays this year. Someone reliable but not flashy would be a substantial upgrade, honestly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I wouldn't say checked out, because he's simultaneously more frustrated than I've ever seen him. I think things are just harder for him than they have been in a long time. The injuries, the youth of the WR room, just getting older in general. And I think he probably thought everything would've worked itself out by now (which is kind of what we thought as fans, too.) Things haven't been this difficult for the offense since like 2016, and I'm not sure he knows how to deal with that now.

I would agree, I would not be surprised if he retires, though. He's in that stage where he has nothing left to prove, really. He could record chase if he wants to, but he really doesn't need to.

Yea plus he has.. other interests off the field.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Yeah we need a Superstar talent out there. Every good team has one, that can’t be a coincidence. Chiefs fan love to point to last year to say we don’t need Tyreek or a superstar receiver, but Kelce was the superstar receiver and Juju was certainly a 1000 yard caliber player. 

you can’t carry that same mindset when Kelce is 35, juju is long gone and praying on the continued development of Rashee Rice. Teams have obviously studied this new offense without Tyreek, and after a year of tape have found some effective strategies to deal with it

I do think there's a chicken/egg element to this, though. You reference JuJu being a 1000 yard caliber player, but he pretty clearly only was for us. He sure isn't doing that for the Pats. Rice's last 7 games would have him at a 1000 yard, 7 TD pace. To some extent, when you pass as much and as well as Mahomes does, that production is going to come naturally as long as someone justifies being a #1. Hell, Justin Jefferson went down and like instantly Jordan Addison was on a 1000 yard, 10 TD pace. Get a good enough WR, give him a good enough QB, the production will be there. Mahomes doesn't need a superstar to have a productive WR, he just needs someone consistent.

Not saying I wouldn't take a superstar. Just that it's not necessary, and I don't want to like, move on from Jones and Sneed to save money just to throw it all at one WR hoping that fixes the offense. I think you start with a veteran with a higher floor, take another guy through the draft, and go from there.

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I do think there's a chicken/egg element to this, though. You reference JuJu being a 1000 yard caliber player, but he pretty clearly only was for us. He sure isn't doing that for the Pats. Rice's last 7 games would have him at a 1000 yard, 7 TD pace. To some extent, when you pass as much and as well as Mahomes does, that production is going to come naturally as long as someone justifies being a #1. Hell, Justin Jefferson went down and like instantly Jordan Addison was on a 1000 yard, 10 TD pace. Get a good enough WR, give him a good enough QB, the production will be there. Mahomes doesn't need a superstar to have a productive WR, he just needs someone consistent.

Not saying I wouldn't take a superstar. Just that it's not necessary, and I don't want to like, move on from Jones and Sneed to save money just to throw it all at one WR hoping that fixes the offense. I think you start with a veteran with a higher floor, take another guy through the draft, and go from there.

yea but juju was the second option to our actual superstar receiver, Travis Kelce. Those two combined for like 2300 yards and 20 TDs, and opened up all the trickeration, sweeps and screens for the offense. 

Kelces old though, he’s not gonna get any younger, he will continue to slow and break down it’s inevitable. Not surprising to me the offense is stalling now that he can’t be amazing constantly. 

like everybody recognizes we need a star receiver to be successful, except for you. Keep fighting the good fight, but uh yeah I guess I’ll keep eating up this somewhat bad offensive product until they can find one. 

11 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I do think there's a chicken/egg element to this, though. You reference JuJu being a 1000 yard caliber player, but he pretty clearly only was for us. He sure isn't doing that for the Pats. 

Im not sure Tyreek would be a 1000 yard receiver for the Pats right now. They haven't had a 1000 yard receiver since Brady left.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I think the two dumbest trades I've seen in years has to be the AJ Brown and the Tyreke Hill trades. I get the Chiefs won the Super Bowl and honestly with Mahomes you always have a chance but man that trade just seems so bad. 

I get that Tyreek is dominating, but saying it's one of the worst trades in years when the team who made the trade won the Super Bowl is kind of wild.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I get that Tyreek is dominating, but saying it's one of the worst trades in years when the team who made the trade won the Super Bowl is kind of wild.

I mean if the Niners win the SB this year, you would still have to say the Lance trade up/pick was one of the worst ever, right. 

Not saying it is to that extent but I don't think the Chiefs winning a SB means you can't say the trade was bad. I would like to hear @Jakuviousopinion on this and who the Chiefs were able to sign after trading away Hill. 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean if the Niners win the SB this year, you would still have to say the Lance trade up/pick was one of the worst ever, right. 

Not saying it is to that extent but I don't think the Chiefs winning a SB means you can't say the trade was bad. I would like to hear @Jakuviousopinion on this and who the Chiefs were able to sign after trading away Hill. 

Ignore the compensation for a moment because I think that works in the Chiefs favor of the argument (meaning, we got extra value for Tyreek where the Rams had to give up value).

Speaking purely from a player for player perspective and ignoring draft picks:

Was the Stafford/Goff trade a bad trade for the Rams because Goff is playing really well now?

I see KC monitoring the pre-draft workout and medical records of Georgia TE Brock Bowers. Going from Kelce to Bowers would be a seamless transition for Mahomes, as Bowers is very similar athletically to Kelce.

If that ankle injury causes Bowers to drop outside the top 6-8, KC should jump on it with a quickness.