Why are the Chiefs not trying to get better at WR?

mdonnelly21

2 hours ago, Danger said:

The other WRs he took high were Freddie Mitchell, DeSean Jackson, and Jeremy Maclin

1 hit
1 miss
1 meh

Years with said WR before being traded to Washington. 

Desean 2 (08-09')

Maclin 1 (09')

Freddy GD Mitchell ...4 years (01-04)

Let's not forget 2nd rd pick 35th overall and true #1 WR Reggie Brown after Freddy (05-09)

5 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Why didn't Mahomes just make MVS catch that pass? That's what the true greats do...

Somehow thats what greats do. Unless the receivers forget how to play football with Mahomes. Call it the LeBron syndrome. When players play with LeBron they forget how to shoot. When they are on other teams they shoot the lights out. All I know is the Chiefs have a serious receiver problem that even the great Mahomes cant solve. They thought he could help solve it thus not paying Hill. Now they see Mahomes cant solve the receiver issues so its time to go get him one. This offseason is going to be interesting to see what the Chiefs do at receiver.

12 hours ago, Broncofan said:

First it was Toney, then it was Moore another week....now it's MVS.   Good lord.

Like what are his options? You’ve got Rice who’s not targeted at all, Watson can’t catch, Richie James can’t run routes correctly and is recovering from injury, Ross is suspended and Hardman sprained his thumb 

8 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Like what are his options? You’ve got Rice who’s not targeted at all, Watson can’t catch, Richie James can’t run routes correctly and is recovering from injury, Ross is suspended and Hardman sprained his thumb 

Not great, I agree.

1 simple thing - start playing Rashee Rice more than 50+ percent of the snaps.  Like 70-80%.   

The other, is use more McKinnon & Gray.   They went to 11 personnel last night to get more PHI DB's in the game, but IMO Gray is their 3rd best receiver on the team (4th if you include McKinnon).  But yeah, it's rough.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Not great, I agree.

1 simple thing - start playing Rashee Rice more than 50+ percent of the snaps.  Like 70-80%.   

The other, is use more McKinnon & Gray.   They went to 11 personnel last night to get more PHI DB's in the game, but IMO Gray is their 3rd best receiver on the team (4th if you include McKinnon).  But yeah, it's rough.

I think they’re afraid of Rice hitting the rookie wall, this team has post season aspirations and needs him fresh by seasons end. 

Mahomes refuses to check it down like 90% of the time, so using more TEs and RBs really doesn’t help the situation. 

24 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I think they’re afraid of Rice hitting the rookie wall, this team has post season aspirations and needs him fresh by seasons end. 

Mahomes refuses to check it down like 90% of the time, so using more TEs and RBs really doesn’t help the situation. 

Gray can definitely get to the 2nd level though.    But yes, I get the issue with McKinnon.

Reality is they have 1 slot guy they like (Rice) and 1 guy who can be the deep clearout guy reasonably effectively (Watson).  Asking Watson to do more is how you see his limitations that were on display last night.   It's tough to see how they address in-season.  Next off-season, pretty easy to see it wil be a priority.

Edited by Broncofan

Veach gambled last year with trotting out an average to below average WR group and we won the SB so I can't help but think he gambled again and bet that Mahomes could make chicken salad out of a bigger pile of chicken sh*t again which would allow him to allocate free agent resources elsewhere. Add in the uncertainty surrounding the Chris Jones holdout and salary cap impact....and Veach took his chances on looking elsewhere in the offseason for upgrades. Combine that with the fact that Andy Reid seems perfectly content with making bizarre coaching staff decisions (remember Juan Castillo being moved from OL position coach to DC?!)...such as having an inexperienced WR position coach Conner Embree (with a defensive back coaching background) while Todd Pinkston (played WR in the NFL and IIRC had some coaching experience with WRs) coaching.....the RBs. Add in Nagy that seems to not be able to call a consistent offensive gameplan, and it is no wonder that the WR position has been such a sh*t show. Most of us saw it coming from a mile away. Imagine DeAndre Hopkins as a Chief.

• Like 2

Every week it's Metal Gear Solo for Mahomes. 

Reid: I'll instruct you by codec after you reach your target.

Mahomes: Anyone going with me?

Reid: As usual this is a one-man infiltration mission.

Mahomes: Weapons and equipment OSP?

Reid: Yes, this is a top secret black-op. Don't expect any official support. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

Chris Jones holdout

I think this is an underrated part of this. I have a feeling the front office was banking on CJ taking the "non Donald" contract extension like he said, and was offered, and I feel like the extra funds were going to get a vet WR, maybe even a Nuk type of player. There was too much interest there to not seal the deal imo. Also Nuk could've just priced himself out too, so idk but I feel like we wanted to add somebody.

Edited by Chiefs_5627