Game Pricing Model Changes vs. Quality at Launch

AkronsWitness

13 hours ago, iknowcool said:

This is a fitting thread to drop this nugget in. I don't mind games going up in price, it is bound to happen, but splitting it into 3 parts is crazy, especially if they aren't adding more content to the single-player.  $50 for Spider-Man multiplayer seems crazy.

https://nichegamer.com/playstation-reportedly-planning-on-selling-games-in-parts-for-50-each-raising-overall-prices-to-80-100/

Chief among the leaks is an internal presentation that revealsHasnot only is Sony planning on increasing game prices again from $70 to $80-100, they’re also planning to release the next Spider-Man game in three parts, for $50 each.

This would probably be the end my gaming as a hobby. Or the beginning of becoming a full-time PC gamer and part-time pirate. 

• Like 1

I've found myself just waiting and getting games at a big discount. For Madden, I waited until the price dropped to $30.. which with the sports games only takes a couple months.

Just about 2 weeks ago I saw Far Cry 6 on the shelf for $15 and finally grabbed it. Loving every minute of this game, but I didn't miss out on anything by waiting a year or however long it's been

• Like 3

On 12/23/2023 at 1:23 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

This would probably be the end my gaming as a hobby. Or the beginning of becoming a full-time PC gamer and part-time pirate. 

I can tell you that when I switched to PC, I became more frugal with my game purchases. There are just soooo many more games on PC compared to console that it really puts in perspective buying a $70 games. I have had tons of fun playing little indie studio games for $10-$20, Free to play games, or games on discount down to $35 that I cant even think about spending $70 on a game anymore.

My new thought when a game comes out now is 'Im definitely getting that when it goes on Sale' instead of just buying it lol I have enough games that I occupy my time with to not feel pressured to spend full price on anything at launch

Its at the point where if I spend $40 on a game I must reaaaaaally want it

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, adamq said:

I've found myself just waiting and getting games at a big discount. For Madden, I waited until the price dropped to $30.. which with the sports games only takes a couple months.

Just about 2 weeks ago I saw Far Cry 6 on the shelf for $15 and finally grabbed it. Loving every minute of this game, but I didn't miss out on anything by waiting a year or however long it's been

Yeah.   Ive been doing this for years.   I just got Mass Effect Legendary Edition for $6.   I got both Divinity Original Sin games cheap on Black Friday, etc...

In fact, I just bought the first "full priced" game Ive bought in over 10 years this Christmas, and that was Mario for Switch....and thats only because stupid Nintendo doesn't lower their game prices, even for older games.

• Like 3

On 12/27/2023 at 10:25 AM, 43M said:

Yeah.   Ive been doing this for years.   I just got Mass Effect Legendary Edition for $6.   I got both Divinity Original Sin games cheap on Black Friday, etc...

In fact, I just bought the first "full priced" game Ive bought in over 10 years this Christmas, and that was Mario for Switch....and thats only because stupid Nintendo doesn't lower their game prices, even for older games.

A buddy of mine worked at Best Buy and said that every Black Friday nearly all EA Sports games are discounted to half price. So he would always wait 2-3 months after the games release, like FIFA or Madden and get 2 for the price of 1 on Black Friday. Good tip for sports game fans.

Also, I hate that Nintendo thing. I waited like 3 years to get BOTW because I refused to pay full price for it lol

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 7:25 AM, 43M said:

Same here. Generally the only time I buy anything remotely new in terms of a video game is black friday. There's an outlier here and there, but not common at all. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 2:15 PM, AkronsWitness said:

A buddy of mine worked at Best Buy and said that every Black Friday nearly all EA Sports games are discounted to half price. So he would always wait 2-3 months after the games release, like FIFA or Madden and get 2 for the price of 1 on Black Friday. Good tip for sports game fans.

Also, I hate that Nintendo thing. I waited like 3 years to get BOTW because I refused to pay full price for it lol

Good tip for sports gane fans for sure....but at this point, I wouldn't even pay $20 for Madden.   $15 maybe....but thats my personal stance.   I dont feel Madden has improved more than $15 since I last bought it (2018), and $5 of that is roster update.  😆

Yeah...Nintendo is ruthless.   I want to get the Xenoblade games, Tears of the Kingdom and a Pro controller, and that will set me back nearly $300.   Not a huge deal...but 2 of those games are about 5 years old and still full price.  🤬

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 43M said:

Good tip for sports gane fans for sure....but at this point, I wouldn't even pay $20 for Madden.   $15 maybe....but thats my personal stance.   I dont feel Madden has improved more than $15 since I last bought it (2018), and $5 of that is roster update.  😆

Yeah...Nintendo is ruthless.   I want to get the Xenoblade games, Tears of the Kingdom and a Pro controller, and that will set me back nearly $300.   Not a huge deal...but 2 of those games are about 5 years old and still full price.  🤬

Oh I know the feeling. Every 3-4 years I get the itch for Madden. I go buy it, play it for like 2 days and never pick it back up. I always think something is going to lure me back into it but its just the same old same old crap. I do the same with COD and 2K. I spent from 2007-2018 playing nothing but those 3 games and its sad that they all seem to have run their course.

Edited by AkronsWitness

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 10:17 PM, 43M said:

I'm not sure sports games improve at all year over year.  It's basically just a $70 roster update.  Period.  Or whatever they cost these days.  idk.  I haven't bought a sports game in a very long time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm not sure sports games improve at all year over year.  It's basically just a $70 roster update.  Period.  Or whatever they cost these days.  idk.  I haven't bought a sports game in a very long time.

Every now and then (well, at least years ago), a sports game might reinvent itself and add/change enough to justify a close to full pricetag.   But lets be real....the sports they represent dont change much year to year, and basics of each sport pretty much never change....so after the base games are made, all they can do is update rosters, add new features and modes and tweak and improve AI and other aspects of gameplay.

Problem is, there is pretty much never enough added and improved year to year to justify what they charge....for any sports title.

NFL2K5 exposed the exploitative practice of full priced annual sports games when they released one of the best sports games ever for $20.    Thats what prompted the greedy NFL and EA to do the exclusive deal...and essentially started the trend of sports game monopolies with only one title for each sport every year.

They dont care though.   They have a stable group of customers who are willing to pay for it every year, and they make up for the customers theyve lost with terrible microtransactions.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Every now and then (well, at least years ago), a sports game might reinvent itself and add/change enough to justify a close to full pricetag.   But lets be real....the sports they represent dont change much year to year, and basics of each sport pretty much never change....so after the base games are made, all they can do is update rosters, add new features and modes and tweak and improve AI and other aspects of gameplay.

Problem is, there is pretty much never enough added and improved year to year to justify what they charge....for any sports title.

NFL2K5 exposed the exploitative practice of full priced annual sports games when they released one of the best sports games ever for $20.    Thats what prompted the greedy NFL and EA to do the exclusive deal...and essentially started the trend of sports game monopolies with only one title for each sport every year.

They dont care though.   They have a stable group of customers who are willing to pay for it every year, and they make up for the customers theyve lost with terrible microtransactions.

I've had a hard time with this forever.  Because sure...the sport doesn't evolve much.  So i don't necessarily need them to reinvent their game either.  Just little tweaks is more than fine, since neither Madden or especially the NHL franchise has any real similarity to the real thing anyway.  But it's tough for me, because when i play a game like Madden or NHL...the most fun thing for me to do, is tinker around with some sort of custom team or Franchise Mode.  Where those roster updates become critical to the one thing i actually enjoy about the games.  Actually playing the game is usually just an annoying letdown.  So it leaves me in an awkward spot where...do i want to pay an absurd amount for that roster update?  Or do i just stop playing altogether.

I guess i've mostly just chosen the latter.

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I've had a hard time with this forever.  Because sure...the sport doesn't evolve much.  So i don't necessarily need them to reinvent their game either.  Just little tweaks is more than fine, since neither Madden or especially the NHL franchise has any real similarity to the real thing anyway.  But it's tough for me, because when i play a game like Madden or NHL...the most fun thing for me to do, is tinker around with some sort of custom team or Franchise Mode.  Where those roster updates become critical to the one thing i actually enjoy about the games.  Actually playing the game is usually just an annoying letdown.  So it leaves me in an awkward spot where...do i want to pay an absurd amount for that roster update?  Or do i just stop playing altogether.

I guess i've mostly just chosen the latter.

I dont need it to reinvent itself either,  but an annual game that is only worked on for 9 months at a time and usually barely improves and adds disingenuous new features that usually have zero substance should not be charging full game price every single year.

Ive completely stopped playing myself.    I used to get the itch every year to play franchise mode, usually in the offseason...but its so bad I do not even care anymore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 43M said:

I dont need it to reinvent itself either,  but an annual game that is only worked on for 9 months at a time and usually barely improves and adds disingenuous new features that usually have zero substance should not be charging full game price every single year.

Ive completely stopped playing myself.    I used to get the itch every year to play franchise mode, usually in the offseason...but its so bad I do not even care anymore.

Yeah.  This is pretty much me with sports games.  Since i don't actually love all the goofy gimmicky mechanics they build in these days in the actual gameplay...if i can't tinker around playing with rosters or making a custom roster or whatever with current, up to date players...i pretty much just don't bother anymore.  I haven't bought a Madden since...idk when.  And the last sports game i got was NHL...something?  Which was a free download at some point that i grabbed, probably 8 years ago now.  lol.

I wish they'd sell a discount version of the games that don't have any of the multiplayer or other weird stuff.  Just the bare bones to let me play around, make a roster, and play out a season with it.  But they'd obviously never do that.  Especially since all the multiplayer and other weird stuff is their real "cash cow" in sports games these days.