The 2023-2024 College Football Bowl Thread

MikeT14

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

That was a different situation. Mario could have taken a knee and run the clock out. He decided to run the ball to get his HB a 100+ yard rushing game, and they lost. Was an unbelievably stupid move. Washington did the normal thing we see every week. They needed a first down to run the clock out, so they tried to get the first with a safe play. HBs almost never get injured on a play like that. It was simply a freak occurrence. 

Oh I get the situations are slightly different in the sense that Miami could've run the clock out and Washington would've had about 14 seconds available to start 4th down. I personally would play the odds especially since Johnson has been hurt all game. Take the knee, punt, make them drive 90 yards in ~8 seconds after the punt time comes off. Good luck.

5 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Oh I get the situations are slightly different in the sense that Miami could've run the clock out and Washington would've had about 14 seconds available to start 4th down. I personally would play the odds especially since Johnson has been hurt all game. Take the knee, punt, make them drive 90 yards in ~8 seconds after the punt time comes off. Good luck.

I think if there's a critique, it's that Washington should have used a healthier HB. Although, maybe Johnson has the best ball security? And FWIW, the clock was at 1:02 at the start of the play. So they'd have had a bit more time than 14 seconds if Washington took the knee.

Running the ball there is common. You bleed more time off the clock (generally), and you have a shot at converting the first and ending the game instead of risking a punt. I just can't criticize a HC for doing what everybody else does in that scenario. Mario is different. He got greedy, and we all got to enjoy that at his expense lol.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I think if there's a critique, it's that Washington should have used a healthier HB. Although, maybe Johnson has the best ball security? And FWIW, the clock was at 1:02 at the start of the play. So they'd have had a bit more time than 14 seconds if Washington took the knee.

Running the ball there is common. You bleed more time off the clock (generally), and you have a shot at converting the first and ending the game instead of risking a punt. I just can't criticize a HC for doing what everybody else does in that scenario. Mario is different. He got greedy, and we all got to enjoy that at his expense lol.

OK so it would've been 14 seconds once the fair catch (shouldn't even kick it to the returner though) was made. But yes, use a healthy back. Still, w/ that circumstance, I'm taking the knee and telling them good luck although I completely agree w/ the other tactics majority of the time.