Week 14: San Francisco 49ers vs Seattle Seahawks

J-ALL-DAY

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Dude's footwork is so good and smooth compared to last season. One good thing about his elbow injury was that since he could not throw for most of the offseason, he was able to spend time working on his footwork and it clearly shows. 

This makes me feel pure extasy given that one of my main gripes with Garoppolo was that during covid (no practices, must do everything on his own, knee was finally healthy) his footwork regressed to the point he looked like a middle school QB. 

To have a QB actually improve in an offseason, an offseason where he was injured mind you, brings me so much joy. Pure extasy. 

What a time to be a niners fan. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

But you don't incentivize your own players.

That's amateur league.

I mean...ehhh???? It's not headhunting. Football is a mental game, and trash talk happens whether a coach incentivizes it or not. I don't really see the rub. It's not like it hinders Metcalf from making a play on the field, and the trash talk will stop if he scores TDs. 

I would have to be in the room to hear how Shanahan put it. At least he's not making references to terrorists. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Is that first two games of the season or career? 

I'm not sure what constitutes a big time throw but i seem to remember some good throws against the Dolphins/Bucs if its career, or Steelers/Rams if its this season. 

First two games this year he came up empty in their metrics for BTT. I remember Sam, and Steve talking about it earlier in the year on the podcast. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

I think that he found one really pretty data point that confirmed everything that he wanted to believe already and now lives on that one data point in the ocean of other evidence as his position dies from lack of nourishment.

Even the pff grade is just turnover worthy plays that are holding Purdy back. That's it. He'd be at the top otherwise. And for me, a lot of that is the anticipation that the offense is built on. I mentioned this on the Pat Pete near pick to start the season. Same thing for the pick this week with Aiyuk. Man is letting the ball go based on the timing and feel of the offense. It's a pretty concert, but the choreography can go wrong and he shouldn't be faulted for that while not getting credit for making the dance work at such a high level in the first place. I have no idea what Purdy looks like with less help. But like, even Patrick Mahomes - who I think is all time awesome - didn't come near this level of efficiency. With two Hall of Famers outside, a quality offensive line, and some useful supporting pieces. You can come down from 10 yards an attempt to 9 and still have an unholy monster offense.

Steve Young was doo doo in Tampa without help. No one calls fraud once he went to the 49ers, and had "help" for the next decade. HOFer. Kurt Warner looked like crap in New York without the "help" he had in St. Louis and Arizona. HOFer. Now with Purdy it's a problem??? Lunacy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/12/11/kyle-shanahan-promised-christmas-present-49er-who-get-under-dk-metcalf-skin

Could easily see them at least fining Shanny for this, if not some other penalty. You can't incentivize your team to get under the skin of an opposing player and make them "lose their mind" 

Shanny has been around the NFL his entire life, even if nothing comes out of this, why even take the risk?

I don't see anything wrong with this.  You know Philly was doing the same thing with Greenlaw.

As long as there is no risk of physical injury, or off field stuff, I think targeted trash talk is ok.

46 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Is that first two games of the season or career? 

I'm not sure what constitutes a big time throw but i seem to remember some good throws against the Dolphins/Bucs if its career, or Steelers/Rams if its this season. 

Of the season. 

Not sure how the throw to Aiyuk wasn't a BTT in week 1 unless they think that was more the WR making a great play? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, N4L said:

This makes me feel pure extasy given that one of my main gripes with Garoppolo was that during covid (no practices, must do everything on his own, knee was finally healthy) his footwork regressed to the point he looked like a middle school QB. 

To have a QB actually improve in an offseason, an offseason where he was injured mind you, brings me so much joy. Pure extasy. 

What a time to be a niners fan. 

I wanted Lance to be good so bad because of the big play potential… and we are getting exactly that with Purdy along with his other strengths. Couldn't be happier. 

I no longer need to beg for deep shots in the GDTs now 😂😂.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Steve Young was doo doo in Tampa without help. No one calls fraud once he went to the 49ers, and had "help" for the next decade. HOFer. Kurt Warner looked like crap in New York without the "help" he had in St. Louis and Arizona. HOFer. Now with Purdy it's a problem??? Lunacy. 

So, I like YPA as a very rough “how good is the pass offense functioning” metric because it is more era independent than more advanced stuff like ANY/A (modern offense try to avoid sacks and INTs but YPA doesn’t care about sacks and INTs) and is easily tracked compared to more modern metrics. If you look down the all time YPA list, you’ll find the quarterbacks of killer offenses of just about every era. Long story short, ANY/A is better for comparing current apples to current apples, but YPA gives you good historical context.

In YPA terms - 9.5 = Breaking the NFL, 9 = Strong MVP, 8.5 = MVP Candidate, 8 = Strong Starter, 7.5 and Lower = Average and below. These numbers also map nicely to our western preference for 0-10 metrics. 

Joe Montana in 1989 posted a 9.1 YPA; Steve Young in 1991 posted a 9.0 YPA for context.

This offensive architecture is a YPA kickstarter. Like, it was getting Jimmy G to a little over 8 yards an attempt on the regular and he’s Jimmy G. So it’s fair to question just how much the offense and skill position players are doing for Brock. To begin the season, I expected Brock to post 8.25 YPA (given that he wasn’t hitting any deep throws at the time, I had him as a pretty good Jimmy G season). And I told myself if he got to 8.75 or 9 or so we’d really have something. Matt Ryan had 9.3 in his MVP season. 

Brock Purdy is at 9.9 yards an attempt. And the usual caveats that put guys at that stratospheric level don’t apply. He has done it on volume. He has done it without an unusually high turnover rate just YOLOing the ball deep. He’s done it while hitting every kind of throw and attacking the whole field. There’s only one dude on the YPA map since 1960 in that rare air around 10 yards an attempt on the same volume with so few turnovers and its Greatest Show on Turf Kurt Warner in 2000. That’s the list.

Oh, and for ANY/A, this season is 3rd all time behind 2004 Peyton Manning and 2011 Aaron Rodgers.

Edited by JIllg
1 year off for Kurt Warner.
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, JIllg said:

So, I like YPA as a very rough “how good is the pass offense functioning” metric because it is more era independent than more advanced stuff like ANY/A (modern offense try to avoid sacks and INTs but YPA doesn’t care about sacks and INTs) and is easily tracked compared to more modern metrics. If you look down the all time YPA list, you’ll find the quarterbacks of killer offenses of just about every era. Long story short, ANY/A is better for comparing current apples to current apples, but YPA gives you good historical context.

In YPA terms - 9.5 = Breaking the NFL, 9 = Strong MVP, 8.5 = MVP Candidate, 8 = Strong Starter, 7.5 and Lower = Average and below. These numbers also map nicely to our western preference for 0-10 metrics. 

Joe Montana in 1989 posted a 9.1 YPA; Steve Young in 1991 posted a 9.0 YPA for context.

This offensive architecture is a YPA kickstarter. Like, it was getting Jimmy G to a little over 8 yards an attempt on the regular and he’s Jimmy G. So it’s fair to question just how much the offense and skill position players are doing for Brock. To begin the season, I expected Brock to post 8.25 YPA (given that he wasn’t hitting any deep throws at the time, I had him as a pretty good Jimmy G season). And I told myself if he got to 8.75 or 9 or so we’d really have something. Matt Ryan had 9.3 in his MVP season. 

Brock Purdy is at 9.9 yards an attempt. And the usual caveats that put guys at that stratospheric level don’t apply. He has done it on volume. He has done it without an unusually high turnover rate just YOLOing the ball deep. He’s done it while hitting every kind of throw and attacking the whole field. There’s only one dude on the YPA map since 1960 in that rare air around 10 yards an attempt on the same volume with so few turnovers and its Greatest Show on Turf Kurt Warner in 2000. That’s the list.

Oh, and for ANY/A, this season is 3rd all time behind 2004 Peyton Manning and 2011 Aaron Rodgers.

Yes the Warner 2000 metric comp really sticks out even in difference to era. And Warner didn't even play a full season that year due to injury. We'll see if Purdy manages to keep up on a 17 game slate. Games against the Cardinals, and Commanders (if he plays the entire game) will help. 

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1ynJOynOADlKR

-Wish hit 20+ mph on that run!

-Lot of praise for Oliver. Good to see he's come around

-Explained what happened at the end of the half. They didn't expect the clock to keep running. NBD but good learning lesson.

-Deebo is so happy

-Fred is the man. He is such a great leader for this defense and really the whole team. 

-lol, CMC jokingly bur actually kind of seriously was pissed Mason robbed a TD

-CMC is never satisfied. Says there were plays left on the field and mistakes they have to clear up

-Purdy and CMC look like college freshmen from 1975 with these outfits

-Media is obsessed with "the deep ball"

-Brock is definitely a franchise QB behind the mic

-Bosa is very, very stoned

• Like 1