Don't You Dare MOCK Us!

vike daddy

On 4/6/2024 at 2:58 PM, Purplepride323 said:

Four Round Mock: Sticking and Picking.

Contrary to popular belief, I think that it’ll be the best decision to stick and pick with our first four picks in order to rack up more talented players from this year’s draft. 

Pick #11 Michael Penix Jr. - One of my favorite QBs from this year’s class. He throws the best deep ball and has good athleticism that allows him to make tacklers miss and extend the play within or outside of the pocket. He’s probably the best pocket passer and can make NFL throws on every rep. After that Texas game I remember thinking, “Wow him and Jefferson would be an amazing tandem”. His throws just drop perfectly into the receivers hands and his touch on the ball is special. I think there’s no chance that he gets past the Raiders at #13 so we have to pick him at #11 in order for him to be our next franchise QB. 

Pick #23 T’Vondre Sweat- This dude is a monster. That’s all that needs to be said about him. He’s got rare twitchiness for a 365 pound man. Teams will not be able to single block him, and he dominates against the run, but he also had 26 QB hurries, which means that he’s valuable on pass rush downs as well. To me it’s a no brainer. I’d take him over Byron Murphy II, not because Byron Murphy II isn’t the best 3Tech in the draft but because a Nose Tackle like Sweat is extremely rare. 3Techs like Murphy are a dime a dozen but I can’t remember the last 365 pound Nose Tackle that had the strength, twitchiness, and technique of T’Vondre Sweat. He’d be a day one 0 tech starter in my opinion, with Phillips and Bullard to his sides. Tillery, Roy and Jonah Williams will be the back-ups.

Pick #108- Jarrian Jones- After addressing our biggest need on defense (Defensive Tackle) I think that our next biggest need on that side of the ball is at CB. We currently have Byron Murphy, Shaq Griffin, Mekhi Blackmon, Akayleb Evans, and Andrew Booth. Although that’s pretty solid, I often remember Mike Zimmer saying that you can never have too many corners, and it’s very true. With that being said, Mike Zimmer would love this pick because Jones is a physical freak and would instantly be the most athletic player in the secondary. He’s big and fast with great change of direction. PFF had him graded in the 90s as a nickel at FSU and that’s really tough with the competition at the SEC. He can play outside or inside and a lot of corners will tell you that playing inside is harder because you have to tackle and play the run well. Jones was arguably the best nickel corner in college football last year. He’s got that dog mentality so he’s not a slouch and will get physical, which is what Brian Flores demands from his CBs in his system. Another thing that I like about Jones is that he drastically improved every year, which is a great sign and shows how cerebral and coachable he is. One of my favorite sleepers in the draft. 

Pick #129- Hunter Nourzad- This a deep guard class and it makes sense why we haven’t resigned Risner or signed another guard to replace him. Blake Brandel might be an option at LG but I think that Nourzad has what it takes to be an immediate starter at the position and he is projected to go in the 4th round. Getting an immediate starter in the 4th is great value and this is a great draft. Which is the main reason why I’m all for sticking and picking, at least with our first four picks. Nourzad, besides having a great name (sounds like a Viking) has above-average strength and can block Nose Tackles, which Ezra Cleveland was never able to do. He played 2022 at LG and committed zero penalties, which is great because Ed Ingram has killed us over the years in that department. He did great at center last year but I think that LG would be an easier position for him to play in the beginning fazes of his career. 

This would be an ideal first four picks in my opinion and we’d get two immediate starters in Sweat and Nourzad with two future starters in Penix and Jones. After addressing these needs I think that we’d be pretty set and solid at every single position. That’ll be amazing and put the cherry on top of a great offseason by Kwesi. My favorite move in the offseason was letting Kirk go and being able to solidify the defense with all of that freed up money. The same money that would’ve went to Kirk was used to get Greenard, Van Ginkel, Cashman and Griffin. I’m all for it. 

Love this draft. The closer the draft gets, the more I hope this happens. Penix is more talented, or just as talented as the “top” QBs in the draft. 

His injuries are something to take into account but many college players with durability concerns get to the NFL and defy their usual vulnerabilities. They get stronger, bigger, train smarter. 

I strongly feel Penix is the best QB for the Vikings. Getting a monstrous DT is icing on a much needed cake in the middle of the D-Line. Those top teams are wanting far too much for a trade. If Patriots or Cardinals aren’t okay with just the 11 and 23, then ignore them. 

Even then, there are no QBs in that area that I’d want above Penix anyway. 

Great Mock Draft.

Edited by Morlee
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Last Chance Mock Draft

1.8 JJ McCarthy, QB
2.54 Cooper Beebe, OG
3.74 Ruke Orhorhoro, DT
4.109 Nehemia Pritchett, CB
5.143 Isaiah Davis, RB

6.177 Josh Karty, K

Picks remaining:

karty.jpg

Joshua Karty, Kicker, Stanford
6'2, 207
Burlington, NC

2x First-team All-American (2022, 2023)
2x First-team All-Pac-12 (2022, 2023)

Joshua Karty 2023 Stats:

• 21/21 extra points
  • 23/27 field goals
  • 5/5 inside 30 yards
  • 7/8 30-39 yards
  • 7/7 40-49 yards
  • 4/7 50+ yards
  • 56 long

Overview
After struggling in 2021, Karty kicked with impressive accuracy and consistency over the last two years. He hits the ball with repeatable process and repeatable ball flight from 40-plus yards out, and he never seemed to get into a mental funk. Karty has a strong enough leg to make field goals from 54 to 56 yards without having to drive them low, and his kickoff leg will take the return game completely out of the equation if teams want. He has middle-round draft value and could become a longtime NFL kicker.

Strengths

• Possesses deep range of 56-59 yards on tape.
  • Creates momentum into his strikes and generally gains big lift.
  • Made 91.1 percent of his field goals over the last two seasons.
  • Handles kickoffs with the same leg strength.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/joshua-karty/32004b41-5273-7693-d111-9d4c625e76c8

Joshua Karty: "I have an underdog, chip-on-my-shoulder type of mentality. I generally feel that way. We didn’t play very good football at Stanford these past few years, we didn’t have the success we wanted to have. I’m the only Stanford player who declared for the 2024 NFL Draft. I have that chip on my shoulder. We haven’t gotten much attention at Stanford as of late because we collectively didn’t win enough games. We all own the blame for that."

"I want to prove that I’m the best kicker in the draft. I have the leg power to match any kicker in the 2024 NFL Draft, and I match that power with consistent technique. I’m a fundamentally sound kicker, which has led to a lot of consistency for me. It’s helped me produce consistent outputs."

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2024/01/26/joshua-karty-senior-bowl-nfl-draft-interview

vike daddy: "i don't care what you numbnutz think about my obsession with kickers, i'm drafting one! Tell me what other 6th round draft picks are going to make the roster, let alone potentially be a major contributor. and then possibly for years. Karty is the undisputed best kicker in the country so let's give him a try. as an added bonus, his name starts with a J!"

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, marshpit23 said:

Now let’s grab Tory Taylor, P Iowa with one of your last two picks. Great draft so far. 

taken by the Saints at 190. what's wrong with our punter?

i thought i'd go for developmental guys with our last two picks, but with strong ST skills.

we're shut down for the night, and are at pick #208. we have 230 and 232.

i tried to trade down our 6th for another 6th and a 7th or two, but couldn't find a dance partner. two guys i had my eye on were drafted within ten picks of ours at 177, so i pulled the cord on the kicker. got the nation's top one.

Edited by vike daddy

This year, I don't have a clue what's going on inside Valhalla land.   The trade up to get #23 would appear very similar to a military mind amassing troops on the border before invading . . . Go offensive . . . Let 'em know you're coming and go take what you want.

On the other hand, deceit is a major part of maneuvering for long term success.   KAM and KOC could add a combo of players to contribute early.   A Randall McDaniel-level OG would surprise a lot of people, but be a good call.  A CB, DE/OLB/Edge or a Murphy/Newton pick would help the defense.

Personally, I'd be stoked if the following occurred:

#11:  McCarthy (less stoked if Penix is picked, but ok with it)

#23:  Byron Murphy, DT

#108:  Mason McCormick,OG

#129:  Cam Hart, CB

#157:  Isaiah Davis, RB

#167:  Ryan Flournay, WR

#177:  Kristian Boyd, NT

#188: Joshua Carty, K . . . Because VD said so!!😁

• Like 4

I ran a mock without having to trade up. I did trade back from 1.23 to 1.29 and picked up Detroit's 2nd round pick in 2025.

11 McCarthy

29 Newton

108 Rice

129 Mason McCormick 

157 Cedric Johnson

167 Erick All

177 Tarheeb Still

230 Drake Nugent

232 Joshua Karty 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

This year, I don't have a clue what's going on inside Valhalla land.   The trade up to get #23 would appear very similar to a military mind amassing troops on the border before invading . . . Go offensive . . . Let 'em know you're coming and go take what you want.

On the other hand, deceit is a major part of maneuvering for long term success.   KAM and KOC could add a combo of players to contribute early.   A Randall McDaniel-level OG would surprise a lot of people, but be a good call.  A CB, DE/OLB/Edge or a Murphy/Newton pick would help the defense.

Great draft. I wouldn’t mind any of the top 6 QBs, but Penix’s injury history and slow release does kind of worry me. McCarthy is my favorite, besides Caleb obviously, because he reminds me of Fran Tarkenton. His ability to create things and extend plays is special. When the play fell apart, I think he made his best decisions. Which is something that can’t be taught. You either have that improvisation skill or you don’t. Kirk Cousins never had that skill and J.J. would be a breathe of fresh air. He’s a winning QB, and to me that’s the most important intangible. The guy knows how to win. I really hope that he falls to #11 but if we have to trade our two first rounders this year in order to get him at pick #5 then so be it. QB is the most important position in all of sports. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

i also drafted Isaiah Davis, a team captain out of SD State, in the Last Chance forum wide mock.

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i also drafted Isaiah Davis, a team captain out of SD State, in the Last Chance forum wide mock.

I believe you're a MT State guy, right?   So, you may've watched him, and for me, I watched him a lot, including at this year's National Championship game, live in Frisco.   He's got way more wiggle than I saw on TV.   His power is hard to compare . . . Not AP level, but much better than Cook.  I'll be excited to see how he does in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I believe you're a MT State guy, right?   

Montana State...? Never! University of Montana Grizzlies, if you please!

We even lost a national championship to Randy Moss and Chad Pennington of Marshall!

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

We even lost a national championship to Randy Moss and Chad Pennington of Marshall!

Oh whoops!   So, you were witness to the mighty power of the Jacks🤣  I will say, sitting with some Grizz fans, everyone were good sports - except one kid . . . There's always one🙄

10 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Well...that's something to hang your hat on. 😁

Posted (edited)

Last Chance Mock Draft

1.8 JJ McCarthy, QB
2.54 Cooper Beebe, OG
3.74 Ruke Orhorhoro, DT
5.143 Isaiah Davis, RB
6.177 Josh Karty, K

7.230 Brennan Jackson, DE/LB EDGE

Picks remaining:

Jackson.jpg

Brennan Jackson, DE/LB EDGE, Washington State

6'4, 264
Temecula, CA

2021:

• Honorable Mention All-Pac-12 Conference. Played in 13 games with 12 starts (46 tackles, 6 TFL with 4 sacks, INT, 2 PBUs). 

2022:

• Second-team All-Pac-12 Conference. Led the team with 6 sacks, tied for the team lead with 12 TFL. Started all 13 games (41 tackles, 3 PBUs).
  • Team captain.

2023:

• Second-team All-Pac-12 Conference. Led the team with 12.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks. Started all 12 games (57 tackles, 3 PBUs, FF, 4 FRs).
  • Team captain.

Overview
Sixth-year senior who plays like he loves football and never wants the game to end. Jackson is a productive, effort-based pass rusher who wins with motor and force but is missing much-needed moves and counters to beat NFL tackles with skill. He plays with good bend and powerful hips to drive his way through a blocker's edge against run or pass blocks. Jackson is salty at the point of attack and will shed or spin off blocks to find his way to the football. Despite some limitations, Jackson is constantly near the football, thanks to his strength, effort and toughness, and he could become a reliable pro as a 4-3 end or 3-4 rush linebacker.

Strengths

• Plays with relentless energy that is beyond persistent on every snap.
  • Gets off the ball with bent knees and low pads into contact.
  • Above-average play strength with ability to consistently get off blocks.
  • Strong hips allow him to drive through a blocker's edges.
  • Hard-charging style creates production through secondary rush.
  • Possesses the footwork to further develop his spin counter.

Sources Tell Us
"Plays as hard as anyone in the conference. I think coaches will like him just a little bit more than scouts will, and maybe they will be right." -- AFC national scout

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brennan-jackson/32004a41-4305-5625-f062-306e30ea43cc

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Last Chance Mock Draft

1.8 JJ McCarthy, QB
2.54 Cooper Beebe, OG
3.74 Ruke Orhorhoro, DT
5.143 Isaiah Davis, RB
6.177 Josh Karty, K

7.232 Daequan Hardy, CB/PR

hardy.jpg

Daequan Hardy, Cornerback/Punt Returner, Penn State

5'9, 179
4.38 Combine 40
42.5" Combine vertical jump
Pittsburgh, PA

Strengths

• Special teams standout at Penn State.
  • Solid punt returner and can compete for gunner reps.
  • Returned two punts for scores in 2023.
  • Finesse nickel cornerback with above-average ball skills 
  • Phases deep sideline routes with optimal positioning.
  • Consistent to whip head around and find the deep ball.
  • Adequate short-area footwork to trail and ride underneath.
  • Maximizes pass breakups with well-timed hand attacks.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/daequan-hardy/32004841-5209-0900-d135-816afa52800e

• Primarily aligned in the slot as the nickel CB but played some snaps outside, depending on the scheme.
  • Good lateral quickness in his ability to elude blockers and then close on the ball carrier in run/screen game.
  • Explosive athlete with good return ability – vision and acceleration to find lanes as a punt returner.
  • Excels with turning and running with vertical routes from press coverage – excellent burst and speed.
  • Good technique in press alignment – moves feet to stay in position and then uses his speed to mirror WRs.
  • Stays in phase with good ball skills to get his head around and locate the ball downfield in coverage.
  • Solid blitzing off the slot, using his quickness to beat blocks and has the speed to pressure QB quickly.
  • Compact, controlled backpedal, allowing him to quickly redirect and use speed to accelerate out of breaks.
  • Instinctive player who quickly reads and recognizes quick game, rallying down with speed and aggression.

https://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/daequan_hardy_2024_nfl_draft_combine_results_scouting_report_for_penn_state_cb/s1_17304_40200484

Edited by vike daddy

Last Chance Mock Draft

1.8 JJ McCarthy, QB
2.54 Cooper Beebe, OG
3.74 Ruke Orhorhoro, DT
5.143 Isaiah Davis, RB
6.177 Josh Karty, K
7.232 Daequan Hardy, CB/PR

Vikings end their GM mock draft with this lineup. Keep in mind we started without a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Managed to do a slight trade up for McCarthy, get back into Rounds 2 and 3, and addressed our major needs including special teams additions.

got complaints..? bring 'em on. got praise..? send cash.

• Like 1