2023 GDT Week #15 7-6 Steelers vs. 7-6 Colts

Steeler Hitman

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

AC3 is criminally misused by the Steelers.  When you watch the Ravens WR Zay Flowers, remember he is the same size as AC3.

AC3?

Calvin Austin?

I do worry that we may be potentially wasting him.   I have no idea if he is good or not, but the offense and our QBs are almost incapable of using his greatest attribute.   He may be limited, but Im not convinced he cant be an asset in the deep game.

nobody wants mitch playing for them, 

except the steelers of course

19 minutes ago, 43M said:

AC3?

Calvin Austin?

I do worry that we may be potentially wasting him.   I have no idea if he is good or not, but the offense and our QBs are almost incapable of using his greatest attribute.   He may be limited, but Im not convinced he cant be an asset in the deep game.

he hardly is out there stretching the field from what I remember other than twice. 

GP is being wasted here

dionte gets way more attention than he should here

canada is gone, but the team might be worse now with mitch and the routes they had GP running. Total waste, GP should ask for a trade

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

Calvin Austin is an expert route runner but the Steelers seem to only want to use him for gadget plays.  Zay Flowers is out running routes and being productive.  Same size as Austin but not as fast nor as good of a route runner.

so another player wasted. This never ends

8 hours ago, jebrick said:

Calvin Austin is an expert route runner but the Steelers seem to only want to use him for gadget plays.  Zay Flowers is out running routes and being productive.  Same size as Austin but not as fast nor as good of a route runner.

CA3 struggled getting open when his playing time increased with DJ out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

CA3 struggled getting open when his playing time increased with DJ out. 

Between our reluctance to take shots downfield, our INABILITY to throw deep and our WRs looking really meh under Frisman Jackson, Im not ready to write him off.

I still think he can be an asset....but if the offense isnt completely overhauled soon, they may as well just trade him.   Im sure some team would be intrigued enough by his speed to throw us a 4th or 5th for him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 43M said:

Between our reluctance to take shots downfield, our INABILITY to throw deep and our WRs looking really meh under Frisman Jackson, Im not ready to write him off.

I still think he can be an asset....but if the offense isnt completely overhauled soon, they may as well just trade him.   Im sure some team would be intrigued enough by his speed to throw us a 4th or 5th for him.

I’m not writing him off. But also we can’t keep circling back to the coaches are at fault. Like I would keep him just to see if he can be the 2-3 shots a game guy. One thing that sticks out with him is I remember the one game with a big late MOF throw to GP that CA3 was called for OPI because he clearly picked the defender. 

The other part is you need WRs to be willing to do things like block. I feel like with CA3 out there he’s unlikely to do that.  That limits in a way to having to use him certain ways. 

But if he has this ability then it should show up in punt returning - here he’s 52nd in average return yards. Behind 3 guys we’ve move on from in 18 months in Desmond King, Gunner Oszynski, and Ray Ray McCloud. His longest return is 21 yards. His big selling point was speed and ability with the ball in his hands and when he’s out there, it’s just not happening. 

I dunno. I think 4/5th WR who returns punts and you take a few potential shots with is just what he is in the NFL. 

Tuesdays media availability for players was interesting. 

Both sides of the ball said Tomlin doesn’t change messages, he stresses how important every opponent is. 

But the two side of the ball couldn’t make the next comments anymore different:

Offense - We’re not worried, we played down. We need a faster start. 

Defense - Hell yea we got to fix things. Leaders need to step up (Cam) and show how to get it done. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

is a really good returner worth the cost if going the UFA route? Good field position is nice, but the offence still has to do something once they get on the field

IMO no. Good returners who can play punt coverage are a dime a dozen in the draft. Spend a 6th on a guy, let him only do that, spend a 6th 3 years later. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I’m not writing him off. But also we can’t keep circling back to the coaches are at fault. Like I would keep him just to see if he can be the 2-3 shots a game guy. One thing that sticks out with him is I remember the one game with a big late MOF throw to GP that CA3 was called for OPI because he clearly picked the defender. 

The other part is you need WRs to be willing to do things like block. I feel like with CA3 out there he’s unlikely to do that.  That limits in a way to having to use him certain ways. 

But if he has this ability then it should show up in punt returning - here he’s 52nd in average return yards. Behind 3 guys we’ve move on from in 18 months in Desmond King, Gunner Oszynski, and Ray Ray McCloud. His longest return is 21 yards. His big selling point was speed and ability with the ball in his hands and when he’s out there, it’s just not happening. 

I dunno. I think 4/5th WR who returns punts and you take a few potential shots with is just what he is in the NFL. 

Im not saying his struggles are the coaches fault, but I dont trust we are getting the best versions of these players within the current offensive regime.   So I still have faith that he can improve.

And while you surely woukd like WRs to block, Id settle for a deep threat who can stretch the field.    I dont necessarily expect him to be a starter anyway.   

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, 43M said:

Im not saying his struggles are the coaches fault, but I dont trust we are getting the best versions of these players within the current offensive regime.   So I still have faith that he can improve.

And while you surely woukd like WRs to block, Id settle for a deep threat who can stretch the field.    I dont necessarily expect him to be a starter anyway.   

Fair enough. Personally I think the best version of CA3 is that with a QB who will go deep on shots 2-3 times a game to complete one. Mostly my thought is there are far more guys I worry about “bast versions” of long before CA3. 

To add:

The best version of CA3 doesn’t have a ton to do with coaching IMO. Other than calling PA, you need a line that can hold up for the 4 seconds/9step drop it would take, other WRs drawing enough attention to effect the defense, and a QB accurate/strong enough to get the ball out there. 

So doing the sweeps and screens IMO is the best thing coaches can do. But to put it on them again, teach catch onto it. So they need to find a way to play off of it. Whether that bee keep faking it to him until the defense creeps too much (using him as a decoy) then finally giving it to him, or do the inverse. Or keep putting him in trips running the bubble, and as soon as someone creeps up hit DJ/GP going over the top of it. They can use him as an asset that way, but it would require him being in there a lot, and I just don’t know he’s justified getting that many snaps. 

Edited by warfelg

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Mostly my thought is there are far more guys I worry about “bast versions” of long before CA3. 

Not sure I understand this comment.

CA3 is currently on the roster.  A roster that isnt exactly deep with WR talent.   He's young, has top end speed and agility, and still has room to grow.   We arent going to replace the entire WR corps in one offseason.

That's all it really comes down to.  

1 minute ago, 43M said:

Not sure I understand this comment.

CA3 is currently on the roster.  A roster that isnt exactly deep with WR talent.   He's young, has top end speed and agility, and still has room to grow.   We arent going to replace the entire WR corps in one offseason.

That's all it really comes down to.  

Sorry I ninja edited it on you to explain explain better. 

But I’m more worried we’re not getting the best from Muth, DJ, GP, QB Play, SS, ILB, DL outside Cam and Benton, CB3 between Sullivan and Rush much much more than CA3. 

Edited by warfelg

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Sorry I ninja edited it on you to explain explain better. 

But I’m more worried we’re not getting the best from Muth, DJ, GP, QB Play, SS, ILB, DL outside Cam and Benton, CB3 between Sullivan and Rush much much more than CA3. 

Okay....but those players arent really relevant in regards to CA3.  Like....its not as if getting the best version of CA3 prevents us from getting the best versions of those players.

Before we go down a bumpy road we really don't need to go down...all I am saying is that I want a COMPLETELY new offensive regime next year and that Id like to see CA3 be given a CHANCE to be a contributing part of that.