Thursday Night Football: Chargers (5-8) @ Raiders (5-8) - Why do schedule makers hate us?

RaidersAreOne

1. Who takes home the W?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Who takes home the W?

• Raaaaaaaaaiiiiiiddddddeeeeerrrrrsssssss
    • The Herbert-less iPhone accessories
    • I just hope everyone has fun

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Eli Manning was right.

I never understood the hate that Chargers fans have for Eli. Maybe because I was too young to witness the debacle as it happened. But at every possible point over the past 20 years, Eli and Archie have been proven justified in their refusal.

5 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I think this is the key issue with who the Chargers get as their next HC.

People speculating they'll trade for Belichick or go after Harbaugh are probably going to be disappointed. That would require Spanos to do something he's never done before, which is pay the going rate for a top Head Coach. He just doesn't do it.

Maybe the likes of last night have embarrassed him enough that he might finally go there - but I'd say more likely LAC are looking at another young coordinator as a first-time coach. Which isn't the worst thing in the world because there are plenty of good prospects out there like that. Staley just wasn't one of them.

Yup. It is frustrating. Belichick, Harbaugh, Vrabel, hell even Dan Quinn are the guys they should be looking it. Guys who are experienced and know how to run a team. It is hilarious how Dean doesn't see this. His team had it's most success in recent memory under Marty and Norv, guys who had been in the league since the  stone age. Both also had credibility (People can laugh at Norv, but he was a well respected OC and even in his last year here, he never lost the locker room). 

But the Chargers are going to do the lazy and cheap thing and go after another hot shot coordinator and will argue he will get more out of Herbert. But that doesn't fix the actual problem.

4 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Hopefully everybody truly understands now. If they don't, they will next week when it's 56-7.

Anybody keeping Herbert out of their top 5-6 because "he just can't get it done" is arguing in bad faith.

He has been saddled with the worst ownership and GM in the NFL.

I hesitate to call Staley the worst coach in the NFL, because even though he is bad, the Spanos are some of the most meddling owners and are likely constricting his own roster building. He's not the answer, but God the problem runs so, so much deeper than just our 3rd first-time HC in a row.

I mean, I don't think "he has a bad GM and owner" should be used as some sort of elevation of his status, though. That's bass ackwards thinking. And I'm not sure who would argue against Herbert in bad faith...he seems to be pretty unanimously liked by like 99% of fans, including myself.

But independent of his GM and owner I haven't been nearly as impressed with Herbert in the last ~2 years as most people seem to be. I don't think he's one of the best 5-6 QBs in the league, but I also don't solely blame him for their bad record.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I mean, I don't think "he has a bad GM and owner" should be used as some sort of elevation of his status, though. That's bass ackwards thinking. And I'm not sure who would argue against Herbert in bad faith...he seems to be pretty unanimously liked by like 99% of fans, including myself.

But independent of his GM and owner I haven't been nearly as impressed with Herbert in the last ~2 years as most people seem to be. I don't think he's one of the best 5-6 QBs in the league, but I also don't solely blame him for their bad record.

My point was that Herbert isn't the reason the Chargers lose so many one-score games, he's the reason they're even in those games in the first place.

A fair bit of fans, and a lot of the media think he's a choke artist and barely top 10, if that.

Herbert's last 2 years have definitely been the worst of his career; he's regressed. In part due to bad OCs, in part due to injury, in part due to just his own error.

You're entitled to your opinion on Herb and he's certainly not above criticism; the point I was just trying to make is that there are arguments to Herbert being in the 6-9 range rather than the 3-5 range, and his W-L record is NOT one of them.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

My point was that Herbert isn't the reason the Chargers lose so many one-score games, he's the reason they're even in those games in the first place.

A fair bit of fans, and a lot of the media think he's a choke artist and barely top 10, if that.

Herbert's last 2 years have definitely been the worst of his career; he's regressed. In part due to bad OCs, in part due to injury, in part due to just his own error.

You're entitled to your opinion on Herb and he's certainly not above criticism; the point I was just trying to make is that there are arguments to Herbert being in the 6-9 range rather than the 3-5 range, and his W-L record is NOT one of them.

Yeah, that's fair. I can agree with all this. Hopefully he takes another step under the new HC/OC because like I said, dude is very likeable.

• Like 1