Week 15 Thread: 4-9 Commanders @ 6-7 Rams - 4 PM on CBS

MikeT14

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Are you pointing out that we passing in Trey Smith?

I refuse to believe that any OL who blocks for Mahomes would be good on another team. Mahomes is magical in avoiding the rush, extending plays & avoiding sacks. 

My hunch is if we had drafted Trey Smith that he'd be meh with us and maybe just a backup.

Quite possibly. But we needed a Guard back then. We didn't need a LS

• Like 1

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Are you pointing out that we passing in Trey Smith?

I refuse to believe that any OL who blocks for Mahomes would be good on another team. Mahomes is magical in avoiding the rush, extending plays & avoiding sacks. 

My hunch is if we had drafted Trey Smith that he'd be meh with us and maybe just a backup.

In defense of Trey Smith, he was a badass at Tennessee. He fell down the board due to some pretty serious medical concerns — blood clots in his lungs or something like that. He was originally a 1st round projection though, and teams just didn’t want to take on the risk. Sort of reminiscent of Maurice Hurst, the DT from Michigan who went to the Raiders in the 5th after they found significant heart issues a few years back.

One of the lessons here is that teams probably vastly overreact to potential health/injury issues in drafting players. It’s a little bit silly — most of the late 3rd and 4th round players don’t amount to anything anyway, so are you really taking that much risk in gambling on a very talented but damaged prospect? I think the eventual draft position for Zak Zinter will be interesting to track on this point.

The other lesson is that it’s probably best that the SnyderSkins didn’t get involved in any of that. Knowing the way everything we touched (touch?) went to absolute hell, it’s probably important that we didn’t try to take on the guy with serious stroke/embolism risk.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 1:33 AM, offbyone said:

I still believe (and maybe I am completely off base) that we have a good number of good players and talented ones.  The problem is, the next staff will have to essentially reevaluate all of them since there is wholesale failure.  Hard to measure individual players when everything around them is wrong.  3 more weeks and we can move on.

Depends on what you mean by talented.  If you measure it in “elite talent” I’ve long been saying for people to name me three players outside of Howell, Terry and Payne who have a chance to be here in five years and be considered “face of the franchise.”  You could say Howell might not be, and you could put Allen in there, but for the same reason I discounted Allen (age), you can discount Terry.  

The roster has less talent than it did at the end of Club Jay.  It is not in a good situation, and I imagine a good coach and front office churn through 85-90% of it by the time 2025 rolls around.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Depends on what you mean by talented.  If you measure it in “elite talent” I’ve long been saying for people to name me three players outside of Howell, Terry and Payne who have a chance to be here in five years and be considered “face of the franchise.”  You could say Howell might not be, and you could put Allen in there, but for the same reason I discounted Allen (age), you can discount Terry.  

The roster has less talent than it did at the end of Club Jay.  It is not in a good situation, and I imagine a good coach and front office churn through 85-90% of it by the time 2025 rolls around.  

You gotta tread carefully with truth around these areas. Not a lot of people want to hear anything resembling a "rebuild". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

5 years is a lifetime in football.  There aren't many teams that have more than a handful of elite players who will be there in 5 years.  Either age catches up or their contracts do.

An nfll roster churns over 50% on average year to year.  

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

You gotta tread carefully with truth around these areas. Not a lot of people want to hear anything resembling a "rebuild". 

I’m fine with a rebuild. I have wanted a full-fledged rebuild for 15 years. We never got one. Snyder would always step in and make some stupid trade. But if you’re going to do a full rebuild then anyone of value needs to be dealt. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m fine with a rebuild. I have wanted a full-fledged rebuild for 15 years. We never got one. Snyder would always step in and make some stupid trade. But if you’re going to do a full rebuild then anyone of value needs to be dealt. 

For me, it's not anyone of value, it's anyone on a contract they aren't earning. I think you keep anyone that you want to be a cornerstone of the new team. 

But I do think we are headed for a full rebuild. (As you said, finally)

• Like 1