WEEK 16: 7-7 Denver Broncos vs 3-11 New England Patriots - Sunday Dec 24th @ 6:15pm MST

Dbrog24

On 12/28/2023 at 1:18 AM, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

What’s ironic is the team that DID draft fields will likely have the 1.1 pick and won’t trade it away because THEY want a QB. I don’t know many Bears fans that don’t wish the broncos had drafted fields so that they could have PS2

Fields ended up in a bad situation in Chicago - they have been a dumpster-fire for at least the last 10 years. Put him in a better situation and he does a lot better - there is going to be a queue of teams looking for him if the Bears do decide to draft a new QB.

I am not saying that the Broncos should trade for Fields now - that boat has sailed and as AKRNA said I don't think he is the type of QB that Payton would want.

What I am saying is this - if we drafted Fields 2021 - we wouldn't have done the following -

1. Hired Hackett in a stupid attempt to get Rodgers (instead we would have probably interviewed Mike McDaniel, and hired someone who could actually coach a team - e.g. McDaniel, O'Connell, Quinn).

2. After the disaster of being stuck with Hackett and not getting Rodgers we would not have traded for Wilson, giving away two 1sts and 2 2nds and a 5th and three players

3. We also wouldn't have given Wilson a contract extension that is going to saddle the team with $89m in dead cap money when he is released in a couple of weeks.

4. We also likely would not have handed over a 1st and a 2nd to get Sean Payton and a 3rd.

5. We would have had $124m over four years in cap space

Yes - we would have been without PS2 (who still might be used as trade bait this off-season) - but what could have been done with 3 1sts, 3 2nds and $124m in cap space, a coach like McDaniel who would have been able to maximise Fields (just like McDaniel has been doing with Tua) and possibly have been in the play-offs for the past couple of seasons.

Fields may never be a good NFL QB - but even if he isn't - we would still be in a far better situation than we are now. We have a poor roster that hasn't been replenished with starter quality players, a HC that is not noted for undertaking a rebuild, dead cap money that is going to strangle any rebuild for the next couple of years - and no QB.

• Like 1

Finally got to watch a bit. Here's my short take.

BB decided to shut down our running game and force Russ to beat him from the pocket. He didn't.

Sean, similarly, decided to shut down the Pats run game and force their 2nd year QB in just his 4th start to beat us from the pocket. He did.