WEEK 16: 7-7 Denver Broncos vs 3-11 New England Patriots - Sunday Dec 24th @ 6:15pm MST

Dbrog24

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Absolutely viable.   Just there’s no history with Payton unlike with Jameis Winston.   That’s all.  I also think Jameis is ready to step in and play from Day 1 guven his 2+ years in the Payton system.   But you’re in the right area solution-wise for 2024.  

The flip side to moving on from Russell Wilson is that we should be ready for a non-glamorous solution for 2024.   As long as it’s cheap I’m ok with it.  If we find the right spot to get QBOTF great.   But otherwise I’m dead serious when I say Jameis, Darnold etc. put us in a similar or better position than Russell Wilson - simply because they are cheap and can actually throw to all parts of the field and make slant / timing throws.   Russ is just that limited right now.   It’s not exciting for the long term and I would absolutely support going after that QBOTF if he’s there but if it isn’t there - doesn’t mean we should stick with Russ.   We’re dead in the water with him.   

Oh I’d be fine with Jameis.   At least would make the season entertaining.  Win some games you shouldn’t, lose some because of 3 defensive TDs in the same quarter

2 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

Oh I’d be fine with Jameis.   At least would make the season entertaining.  Win some games you shouldn’t, lose some because of 3 defensive TDs in the same quarter

To be fair that’s the full Jameis experience.    But Payton wanted him there in NO post-Brees for a reason.   “Neutered” Jameis under Payton was super efficient and safe with the ball in 2021.    

Jameis post-Payton is the same ol’ roller coaster ride we saw in TAM.    But if Payton is getting him (or Darnold) he’ll put the same type of checks and balances that have limited Russ’ TO’s this year compared to his 2022 Hackopalypse.    The difference is that all the throws will be do-able with Jameis / Darnold (and they won’t cost a fortune while we look for a long term solution).  

Edited by Broncofan

9 hours ago, MontanaBronco said:

Would be shocked if another team gave up any significant draft capital/anything for Russ given his contract. While his numbers are actually relatively similar to the rest of his career numbers/"his prime", I think the cat is out of the bag. No bamboozling another team for us.

Sadly I think you may be right, but it’s not a crazy notion to have someone trade for him.   I’d put it at 65 percent cut designated as post-June 1 (to split the 68M hit over 2024-25) / 35 percent trade (and not for anything crazy back other than salary relief).  

If there is a team that is desperate 2/54M (2024-25 salary) isn’t crazy (Geno Smith resigned at 1/27M).   It’s tricky because we needed Russell Wilson to show to the FO and fanbase he doesn’t have enough, but only desperate / bad FO’s will ignore that and look at his numbers / history and think they can fix it.  

Still, we’re in a league where Trevor Siemian, Tommy Devito, Taylor Heinecke, Nick Mullens, Adrian O’Connell & Mason Rudolph are starting games.   As bad as Wilson is, he’s clearly better than those guys (after that…not sure TBH).   Payton’s system allows us to find a stopgap vet bridge QB that other teams won’t see as an obvious fit (Jameis, Darnold, even Jake Browning).       Even with the rookie QB class and Burrow / A-Rod / Cousins coming back from injury there may be a team desperate enough.    Only 2 teams will get a week 1 starter with a rookie.  Cousins, A-Rod & Fields will fill up 3 spots.   So the QB landscape could be bleak enough someone bites.   But yeah, even in that scenario salary relief is likely the best case outcome.  No premium picks are coming back our way IMO even if we find a trade partner.   And it’s by no means a lock we find a trade partner.   

Edited by Broncofan

A disaster of a game, and frankly a disastrous last 4 games. After a big win against Cleveland, this team has been fairly bad, particularly on offense. That's on Russ and it's on Sean Payton. I'm frankly done with both of them. Payton is overrated and we should never have traded the draft capital for him. Whatever we do with Russ is irrelevant. We're going to end up with a middling R1 pick and have no cap space to maneuver because of the Russ contract.

Get rid of Paton after this year. While I think he's got some decent personnel chops, the reality is the results haven't been there and this team is not in good shape roster or cap wise right now. We're a complete mess and we're not a good team. Losing to New England was flat out unacceptable. Completely anemic offense because of piss-poor playcalling, Russ is washed, Javonte Williams is especially bad, and the kicker is every single thing we needed to go our way did. Another failed season - same story as always.

Sean Payton, by the way, will do a masterful job of convincing everyone it's someone else's fault. Four home losses against four of the worst teams in football is pathetic. It's time to dump Russ, and let Payton build whatever it is he envisions. It's a sunk cost with him anyway, might as well let him figure it out.

Well Payton is cutting the cord and avoiding any injury risk.   

That pretty much eliminates any chance of a meaningful trade (even a 3rd-4th is a pipe dream knowing where we stand).    But I’m still relieved.  

Stidham isn’t the answer IMO  and we should learn from other teams that didn’t bring in actual QB depth and get another cheap vet - Jameis, Darnold, Browning.   Cheap vet QB, Stidham in final year.   Doesn’t prevent us from getting a rookie QBOTF if the right opp presents itself but doesn’t force us to reach.   

Edited by Broncofan

We don’t move on from Russell Wilson this early if we won the game.   We’d have a 40+ percent chance of making playoffs.   We’d also be stuck in purgatory with this abortion of an O.   

Lose the battle, win the war.   Anyone who ever says true fans never are happy with a team’s L - point them here.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

We don’t move on from Russell Wilson this early if we won the game.   We’d have a 40+ percent chance of making playoffs.   We’d also be stuck in purgatory with this abortion of an O.   

Lose the battle, win the war.   Anyone who ever says true fans never are happy with a team’s L - point them here.   

I'm more happier from the L than the Krull Td real talk .

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

A disaster of a game, and frankly a disastrous last 4 games. After a big win against Cleveland, this team has been fairly bad, particularly on offense. That's on Russ and it's on Sean Payton. I'm frankly done with both of them. Payton is overrated and we should never have traded the draft capital for him. Whatever we do with Russ is irrelevant. We're going to end up with a middling R1 pick and have no cap space to maneuver because of the Russ contract.

Get rid of Paton after this year. While I think he's got some decent personnel chops, the reality is the results haven't been there and this team is not in good shape roster or cap wise right now. We're a complete mess and we're not a good team. Losing to New England was flat out unacceptable. Completely anemic offense because of piss-poor playcalling, Russ is washed, Javonte Williams is especially bad, and the kicker is every single thing we needed to go our way did. Another failed season - same story as always.

Sean Payton, by the way, will do a masterful job of convincing everyone it's someone else's fault. Four home losses against four of the worst teams in football is pathetic. It's time to dump Russ, and let Payton build whatever it is he envisions. It's a sunk cost with him anyway, might as well let him figure it out.

Completely disagree re: Payton. I understand him not being someone’s favourite human, but as a football coach, there are clearly not many better. 

As for Paton, he’s probably gone, but I don’t think that’s a fair outcome by any means. 99% of the football world was enamoured with the Russ trade, but the talent level of just about any team will be dismantled if they throw away 3 premium picks for what instantly turns into an expensive net negative asset. Firing Paton is hindsight mongering and I hate it. 

• Like 1

When the Broncos traded for Wilson I promised I would never mention Justin Fields again - but why the hell didn't we draft Fields when we had the chance - just look at the resources that would have been available to build the roster.

Any chance that Payton will use PS2 as trade bait + picks to try and move up to the 1.1 spot for a QB.

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

When the Broncos traded for Wilson I promised I would never mention Justin Fields again - but why the hell didn't we draft Fields when we had the chance - just look at the resources that would have been available to build the roster.

Any chance that Payton will use PS2 as trade bait + picks to try and move up to the 1.1 spot for a QB.

What’s ironic is the team that DID draft fields will likely have the 1.1 pick and won’t trade it away because THEY want a QB. I don’t know many Bears fans that don’t wish the broncos had drafted fields so that they could have PS2

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

I don't think so. Also, what we need as a QB isn't the modern prototype/dual threat that's become so popular. What Sean wants is a strong arm and accurate but above all, mentally equipped for rapid processing, reading defenses, good decisions and the ability to recognize situations where an audible will attack any holes the defense presents. Much of this O revolves around calls at the LOS.

Dan Fouts was pretty much a statue but had all the listed qualities and led the NFL in passing for 4 or 5 straight years. 

17 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Completely disagree re: Payton. I understand him not being someone’s favourite human, but as a football coach, there are clearly not many better. 

As for Paton, he’s probably gone, but I don’t think that’s a fair outcome by any means. 99% of the football world was enamoured with the Russ trade, but the talent level of just about any team will be dismantled if they throw away 3 premium picks for what instantly turns into an expensive net negative asset. Firing Paton is hindsight mongering and I hate it. 

We'll agree to disagree on this, but I think the jury is still out on Payton. Obviously he had a ton of success with Brees. He also has/had 7 season at or below .500 in his career. A number of early playoff flame outs as well. He's been a guy who has coached a dome team (or within a warm weather/domed environment) for most of his career - something I called out when we signed him. I believe his dome/non-dome splits are fairly different through his career.

I view him a bit like John Fox - a guy the Broncos have hired to right the ship after years of poor coaching and mismanagement. I think the price paid to acquire him is still insane, and I think the amount he's making is equally insane. Time will tell if he can cement his legacy here. 

• Like 1