WEEK 16: 7-7 Denver Broncos vs 3-11 New England Patriots - Sunday Dec 24th @ 6:15pm MST

Dbrog24

Just now, The Helicopter said:

I mean, it’s good to see the fight, but I’d prefer a higher draft pick.

Ah come on man. If we pulled this one out somehow and end up going to the playoffs, that's something we desperately need from a culture perspective 

1 hour ago, Dbrog24 said:

Ah come on man. If we pulled this one out somehow and end up going to the playoffs, that's something we desperately need from a culture perspective 

A one and done in the playoffs doesn't improve anything, especially if Wilson is back. Would rather miss the playoffs and get rid of Russ. This team should be 3-12 instead of 7-8 at this point, anyway. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

That was one of the worst coaching jobs I've seen in a long time.

I'd rather get Sean out of here than George. This team is loaded with talent and notoriously underperforms.

I mean, let's be honest, Sean's the reason the O is even functional.   Russ is that limited.

But yes, tonight, the L really does sit on Sean Payton's shoulders for the O - for 3+ quarters, Sean decided he wanted to run, run & pass.    Against a top 5 run D (something I did call in my OP).   Not only was it not successful, it made defending the pass SO MUCH EASIER.  

I get it, Russell Wilson is so limited.  But you can't just pound the rock on 1st/2nd down when it's not working, and then decide it's time to throw on 3rd down.   Or just design screens and flat throws.   It's no coincidence that when forced to air it out in the 4Q, we had some limited success.  Now, to be clear - our pass O is just too limited.   Russ can't make the bread & butter slant throw that a Payton O lives on, and he can't throw to spots, or over the middle.  Even though the stats and 4Q highlights look great, hopefully everyone here, and more importantly, everyone in the FO, is ready to move on.   

I'm on record as saying I didn't mind if we lost, and were eliminated - because we need the illusion that this team can go anywhere as it's currently constructed.  And yes, Sean Payton deserves a massive F for the game plan - NE's D had to be attacked in the air, and without total predictability.  Simply put, for 3Q, Sean Payton called a scared game plan.   Scared to let Russ take the game into his own hands.   And yes, he has good reason to most weeks - but this wasn't one of them.

Of course there's more than enough blame to go around - Marvin Mims' mega-blunder with the KR (you can just fair catch it and start from the 25, dude).   The horrible pass pro from the OL.    The absolute leaky coverage today (Douglas I knew would cause problems, but Devante Parker?   Man, tough night for PS2).   The lack of pressure.   So yeah, it's a team L.   But Payton can't look at his game plan and think it was the right way to go when he sees the film on Monday.

Still, no one got hurt long-term (Sutton will be OK, knock on wood, his first concussion, even if he misses next week, all good long-term).    The comeback was nice to see.   Hopefully we can see an O that's not shackled with a QB that's so limited Payton calls the absolute worst game plan vs. an elite run D that is vulnerable to the pass.    

One final comment - I know it seems like the midseason win streak was meaningless.   I would prefer a higher draft position too.  But this is more of negative variance which equals out the crazy bounces we got to beat BUF, CLE and yes, even MIN.    We don't win any of those games without the crazy TO margin, and today, some of the fumble luck went against us.  It happens.

On to next week.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

Jeudy is incapable of making a play.

My most disappointing bronco ever and I go back to the 70's.   Honestly when we started 1 and whatever I had us losing out due to the schedule and how we were playing.  I had this game ear marked as the unofficial tank bowl.  That clearly wasn't the case but tank we have in these last two games and man oh man there is so so much work ahead of us and my son reminded me that we have no second rounder this year to boot.  Tis the season of hope though and that season of hope is feeling like it is eternal with this team..............

Lose the battle, win the war…

The public campaign to set up parting ways with Russell Wilson next offseason begins.   So the part of the fanbase that was dreaming playoffs with the mirage W streak will accept this is needed in the long run if we want to succeed long-term.       It’s IMO just a question it’s a painful cut (post June 1 dead cap of 68M split over 2 seasons) or a trade that drops it down to 46M.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Lose the battle, win the war…

The public campaign to set up parting ways with Russell Wilson next offseason begins.   So the part of the fanbase that was dreaming playoffs with the mirage W streak will accept this is needed in the long run if we want to succeed long-term.       It’s IMO just a question it’s a painful cut (post June 1 dead cap of 68M split over 2 seasons) or a trade that drops it down to 46M.   

can we do an osweiler type of deal to get a higher PICK? I still think Russ to Atlanta would be a match made in heaven.

17 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

can we do an osweiler type of deal to get a higher PICK? I still think Russ to Atlanta would be a match made in heaven.

We’re not getting a great pick.   The salary relief alone and a 3rd-4th would be most likely.   The only reason that’s even possible is how bad QB is nowadays.   But keeping Russ and letting the 37M salary guarantee in 2025 would be pure madness.   

I do agree with those who say we’d have to have a vet bridge as we are in no position to bank on QB in R1.     I think Kirk Cousins stays in MIA and Baker Mayfield stays in TAM.   My longshot call remains Jameis Winston (again SSS but before he injured his ACL under Payton he was 14/3 TD:INT & 7.3 YPA, 12.3 YPC and on the eye test could make all the throws in his system).   A “neutered” Winston in a run-first O would work exactly how Payton envisions.   Not this abortion of a pass O.   That’s literally all due to what Russell Wilson can’t do.    

2 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

Would Sam Darnold be a viable stop gap option?

Sign him see if there’s anything there, trade back in the 1st and accumulate more picks if need be and lean into this rebuild 

Absolutely viable.   Just there’s no history with Payton unlike with Jameis Winston.   That’s all.  I also think Jameis is ready to step in and play from Day 1 guven his 2+ years in the Payton system.   But you’re in the right area solution-wise for 2024.  

The flip side to moving on from Russell Wilson is that we should be ready for a non-glamorous solution for 2024.   As long as it’s cheap I’m ok with it.  If we find the right spot to get QBOTF great.   But otherwise I’m dead serious when I say Jameis, Darnold etc. put us in a similar or better position than Russell Wilson - simply because they are cheap and can actually throw to all parts of the field and make slant / timing throws.   Russ is just that limited right now.   It’s not exciting for the long term and I would absolutely support going after that QBOTF if he’s there but if it isn’t there - doesn’t mean we should stick with Russ.   We’re dead in the water with him.   

Edited by Broncofan