QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

21 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

In hindsight, maybe. 

But again, Rattler was the #1 QB recruit in the nation. He was supposed to be Caleb before Caleb was Caleb. And Caleb didn't beat Rattler out for the job, Rattler was benched due to underwhelming and poor performances. This wasn't a matter of Lincoln Riley going "Oh man, I've got 2 5* QBs, which one do I go with?", it was Lincoln Riley benching Rattler because he wasn't good. 

You seem to be conflating Rattler and Williams as if there was some major competition between the two at Oklahoma prior to Williams getting the nod. That simply wasn't the case. Rattler was the solidified and incumbent starter and was prematurely (as all are) placed on the Heisman and Maxwell watch lists and was already being heralded as a top 10 pick. Rattler flopped, plain and simple. Had Rattler not flopped, he doesn't get benched, Caleb likely doesn't  play a snap for Oklahoma and Riley possibly doesn't bring him to Southern Cal, rather Riley convinces Rattler to come to LA. 

Fact is Caleb didn't win the starting job from Rattler, he was put in after Rattler stunk up the field for half a season and had Oklahoma very close to collapsing. 

It's easy to bench a 5 star player when you have another 5 star player waiting in the wings. And again Caleb would start over every QB in the draft. Not conflating the matter just seeing it for what it is. Spencer Rattler is not better than Caleb Williams. It's that simple.

Rattler was undefeated that year and only lost 2 games the year before so I mean how bad was he really playing. He wasn't complete garbage there like we all remember. In order to make that claim we would have to ignore everything he did his sophomore season.

Also something that I didn't pay attention to at the time was that his completion percentage actually went up. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

It's easy to bench a 5 star player when you have another 5 star player waiting in the wings. And again Caleb would start over every QB in the draft. Not conflating the matter just seeing it for what it is. Spencer Rattler is not better than Caleb Williams. It's that simple.

Rattler was undefeated that year and only lost 2 games the year before so I mean how bad was he really playing. He wasn't complete garbage there like we all remember. In order to make that claim we would have to ignore everything he did his sophomore season.

Also something that I didn't pay attention to at the time was that his completion percentage actually went up. 

1. That's relatively irrelevant. Why didn't outright beat Rattler out then? 

2. Lincoln Riley sure though so before the Texas game so.....

3. Bad. I hate using NY's "tape" argument, but if you're asking this question with sincerity, I sincerely question whether you actually watched any of Rattler's games that season. Oklahoma was heavily favored in every game and he was mediocre to downright dreadful. At first it was seen as a bad one-off, then a bad couple of games, then it became apparent that Oklahoma wasn't going to compete with the big boys with Rattler's performances at all. 

4. I remember him being garbage for that half season, and upon reviewing his games, I definitely remember correctly. 

5. Ir was his sophomore season he was benched. You're talking about his redshirt freshman season, which was ok for a redshirt freshman but nothing outstanding. He was expected to take a leap and simply never did and actually managed to regress. Christian Hackenburg was the same thing. Shea Patterson. KJ Costello. Joe Milton. Danny O'Brian. Phil Jurovich. Brandon Peters. Mitch Mustain. That dude who started outnat USC and wound up playing for like 7 schools. 

6. Yay for checkdowns. 

You 100% are conflating it though. You're making the argument that it couldn't mean much because he lost his job to Caleb Williams. 

He did not. 

He was benched because of poor performances. He would've been benched whether Caleb Williams was there or not. Trying to somehow tie Rattler getting yanked for sucking to Williams, who at the time was an unknown commodity who couldn't beat Rattler out for the job, is the very definition of conflating the two. 

Oklahoma's backup could  have been Jimbob Bangshissister, if he played even remotely adequate football, much less up to par for Oklahoma QBs, Rattler wasn't getting his job back. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

It is obvious that Williams was outperforming Rattler in practice to the point you couldn’t keep him off the field. Eventually the cream rises to the top 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Didn't have anyone but Legette and a revolving door at each position on the offensive line. Didn't look that way at the senior bowl week when all of the talent was equal. 

The reality is about three months ago I would've agreed with everything that's being said. But when you watch the senior bowl week he look like a completely different player because of what he had to work with was equitable. 

Jake Haener tore up Senior Bowl practice and won the MVP last year. Comparable prospect. 

Mond, Daniel Jones, Laulatte, Webb.... the list goes on.  

Trust the game in season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Jake Haener tore up Senior Bowl practice and won the MVP last year. Comparable prospect. 

Mond, Daniel Jones, Laulatte, Webb.... the list goes on.  

Trust the game in season. 

Particularly as it pertains to Jake Hainer, last year was a bad year for quarterbacks in general. For example, the only quarterback that went in the first round last year was Kenny Pickett. So I'm not referring to when someone does good in a year where none of the quarterbacks are good.

I'm talking more about when there are touted prospects like Penix and Bo Nix and this other guy shows up and looks better than both of them somehow. To me, that's when you have to go back and look at the tape and see what the heck happened and how does that lineup with what happened in the regular season? Not all senior bowl years are created equal in the same way that not all draft years are created equal.

I cannot believe that we're having a multi page discussion about Spencer Rattler on Day 2 in March of 2024. This is some next level Twilight Zone ish. 

He wasn't terrible, Caleb Williams simply beat him out in practice, he has all sorts of untapped potential, he only had a couple.of bad games before Lincoln Riley knew Caleb Williams would be far better for Oklahoma, Kenny Pickett was drafted in 2023....how many inaccuracies can one thread have before it's locked?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I cannot believe that we're having a multi page discussion about Spencer Rattler on Day 2 in March of 2024. This is some next level Twilight Zone ish. 

He wasn't terrible, Caleb Williams simply beat him out in practice, he has all sorts of untapped potential, he only had a couple.of bad games before Lincoln Riley knew Caleb Williams would be far better for Oklahoma, Kenny Pickett was drafted in 2023....how many inaccuracies can one thread have before it's locked?

2 years ago* lol. 

10 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

It is obvious that Williams was outperforming Rattler in practice to the point you couldn’t keep him off the field. Eventually the cream rises to the top 

Rattler has sucked for 3 straight seasons 

• Like 1

Zach Wilson could be a steal, and we should offer a day 3 pick. 

• Still only 24 
  • 2021 - came in raw 
  • 2022-  came in with a cocky attitude 
  • 2023- NATHANIEL HACKETT - becomes OC

If he came in with the right attitude, would be an interesting camp battle with Minshew 

35 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Zach Wilson could be a steal, and we should offer a day 3 pick. 

• Still only 24 
  • 2021 - came in raw 
  • 2022-  came in with a cocky attitude 
  • 2023- NATHANIEL HACKETT - becomes OC

If he came in with the right attitude, would be an interesting camp battle with Minshew 

I'd rather trade a 2nd to Pittsburgh for Fields in that case. 

Zach Wilson and his SunBelt ascension was never going to be a good QB. People just needed someone other than Sunshine to fawn over and the other alternative was an Ohio St QB with mediocre quarterbacking skills that, at least, played a schedule harder than  top tier high schools. 

• Like 2