End of Season Rookie Report

onejayhawk

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

I made forward-thinking comments but I graded based on this season. How can you give a grade on the future?

It's what we do the day after we draft them. Now, we can revise the ratings based on experience. 

Draft grades given at the time of the draft are based on how teams execute draft strategy. In terms of what that player's going to be in the NFL they are purely speculative and usually very inaccurate. Jahmyr Gibbs for instance was the most derided first-round pick, and now that pick gets a fairly indisputable high grade.

Once you have a player's actual performance in the league, you grade based on that. Grades could still be very inaccurate compared to what they might be five years from now, but you go on what you have. That's the way I see it anyway

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

And give players that played snaps in all games incomplete grades…

It's not a course that I would take but I might suggest it to someone as a shortcut.  

In any event, FAU will likely play the full game against the Chargers. We can see what he learned. Here's a write-up on his progress.
https://arrowheadaddict.com/posts/why-chiefs-fan-should-be-patient-felix-anudike-uzomah-draft

10 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Draft grades given at the time of the draft are based on how teams execute draft strategy. In terms of what that player's going to be in the NFL they are purely speculative and usually very inaccurate. Jahmyr Gibbs for instance was the most derided first-round pick, and now that pick gets a fairly indisputable high grade.

Once you have a player's actual performance in the league, you grade based on that. Grades could still be very inaccurate compared to what they might be five years from now, but you go on what you have. That's the way I see it anyway

This is much more in line with the OP than the posts grading the one season.

5 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Now you are simply wrong.

The exact words were, "Incomplete if you must."

But you chose that over a D. Key words “try and take it”. You’ve been wrong this whole thread. People have pointed it out to you. No where in the Op do you talk about these being grades for the end of their rookie contract which you can’t predict. But the moment someone gave a player a grade you didn’t like you tried to dog walk it backwards. No rookie end of season review grades that way. It’s graded on how they performed in the season. Do better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

But you chose that over a D. Key words “try and take it”. You’ve been wrong this whole thread. People have pointed it out to you. No where in the Op do you talk about these being grades for the end of their rookie contract which you can’t predict. But the moment someone gave a player a grade you didn’t like you tried to dog walk it backwards. No rookie end of season review grades that way. It’s graded on how they performed in the season. Do better.

This has devolved into arguing semantics. 

FWIW, whether it was this thread or any article/thread about rookie grades, I never thought that the implication was “end of the rookie year report…how will they look by Year 5?”

Like, I also wouldn’t expect my kid to have a “freshmen report card” with anything talking about senior year….

Doesn’t really make sense. INC is for guys who were injured or couldn’t play. Not for guys who weren’t good enough to get on the field. If we were doing this as projections for 4 years down the road, then everyone’s grade would be INC…

Edited by Soko
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Soko said:

FWIW, whether it was this thread or any article/thread about rookie grades, thought that the implication was “end of the rookie year report…how will they look by Year 5?”

Like, I also wouldn’t expect my kid to have a “freshmen report card” with anything talking about senior year….

Doesn’t really make sense. INC is for guys who were injured or couldn’t play. Not for guys who weren’t good enough to get on the field. If we were doing this as projections for 4 years down the road, then everyone’s grade would be INC…

Thank you

Ravens

1.22 - WR Zay Flowers. A. Explosive playmaker with good hands and toughness. Knows how to play the position. The question remains whether Addison would have been better here, but I think most Ravens fans are thrilled with Flowers. Given Ravens history of drafting WRs, nobody is complaining. 

3.86 - ILB Trenton Simpson. C+. Hard to evaluate as he mostly played special teams. Looked a bit lost in preseason at LB, but played well in the last game of the season when the Ravens rested many starters. I can't fault him for not getting playing time over Roquan and Queen, who play every down. We can evaluate him better next year since Queen will probably leave in free agency. 

4.124 - OLB Tavius Robinson. B. Core special teamer and played almost 30% of defensive snaps on a top defensive unit. Can't really remember any special plays, but he seems like he can be a competent cog in the defense. Not bad for a 4th round pick. 

5.157 - CB Kyu Blue Kelly. F. Ravens cut him, he went to the Seahawks, Packers, then Commanders. Seems like nobody wants him. 

6.199 - OT/G Malaesala Amumavae-Laulu. N/A. He made the roster but I don't think he played a single snap all season. 

7.229 - G Andrew Voorhees. N/A. He was drafted to redshirt and rehab an ACL injury he suffered during the combine. 

Jags

Round 1 Harrison OT: I feel like he's been a great replacement for Taylor at RT in the pass pro sense but he needs to get stronger and develop in the run block.

Round 2. strange TE:  essentially a TE3 on this roster.  Farrell is our blocking TE and strange might replace engram in Run plays but he don't play much if at all.  I think his best play came today on tackling the punter who dropped the snap. 

Round 3 Bigsby RB: started the year with some decent run but during his touches/ targets there were a lot of turnovers and he was pretty much phased out offensively.  Maybe he gets more PT and fixs the turnover problem but RB3 in round 3 is gross. 

round 4a Miller LB: I will give incomplete cuz he tore he tore his Achilles before the season and maybe would have been ILB 4.  Still seems like a Luxury pick. 

Round 4b Lacy DL: played lil snaps due to lots of bodies on the roster.  Didn't look horrible but he added some youth to a Vet heavy DL. 

Round 5a Abdullah EDGE: showed some pass rush ability in limited snaps early just to get inactive weekly after Smoot come off a list.   I think he has potential to be a rotational edge tho his size is definitely not traditional. 

Round 5b Johnson DB: I'm giving him DB cuz he's listed at Safety but he didn't play much early due to a hamstring but gradually started seeing more time during the Bengals game and hasn't looked back.   Could be a Future starting NB or S. 

Round 6a Washington WR/RS:  he was the backup for Kirk in the slot so didn't play much till Agnew got hurt the first time(took over the PR role till he got hurt).  Should be a decent slot guy with some return ability. 

Round 6b Braswell CB: didn't really play much and got injured and it and designated to return but didn't return. 

Round 6c Hallet DB: practice squad all year. 

Round 7a Hodges G: looked okay in preseason but got hurt in preseason and IR all year 

Round 7b vohasek IDL: didn't make the PS. Unsure if hes in the league. 

Round 7c parish Edge/FB: was on the PS for a lil bit but didn't stick. Was edge converting to FB then we started giving him some practice snaps at edge. 

Atlanta Falcons

Bijan Robinson - A+ -  Top 10 in the nfl for all purpose scrimmage yards between all RB's, TE,s and WR's with close to 1500 total yards.  Really can't ask for much more than that from a rookie imo.  Even more so when you have Ridder as your main Qb and Smith as your play caller.  If anything i think thats ridiculous he did that well under those circumstances while still sharing the ball with All Gears and Patterson.

Matthew Bergeron - A+ -  Came in as a rookie took over the starting LG spot and hasn't looked back.  Even had a few weeks he graded out as a top OL for the week on PFF.  Think one week he broke into the mid 90's was quite impressive.  

Zach Harrison - B - Started the season a little slow but working with Campbell helped him a ton and by the last 6 games or so he was really bringing it on.  Over the last 3 games of the season before injury he got  11 tackles 3 sacks and 4 TFL.  He only had 7 tackles 0 sacks and 2.5 tfl before those last 3 games.  So something really clicked for him towards the end and he was really impacting games.  Really happy to see this because he showed upside at OSU.

Clark Phillips III - B -  When Okudah went down with injury CP3 game in and handled the position quite well and has stayed on the field ever since.  Sorta living up to the upside people bragged about him coming out even though he was smaller.  Still a work in progress but all falcon fans are liking what they see from him so far.

Demarrco Hellams - B-  Didn't get much love outside of ST play at the beginning of the season but little by little he pushed Richie Grant to a backup position and held his own.  He got beat here and there but overall nothing crazy and he made some solid stops.  If you play well enough to push out a starting 2nd rounder in your rookie year you have done enough to earn a B or so from me.

Jovaughn Gwyn - F - Hasn't seen the field at all that i can remember but our OL group is sorta deep so probably expected.  Not sure if giving him a F is fair but he's the only player in the draft not to do anything or see the field so he has to be a negative compared to the rest of them lol.   Maybe a D or C for unknown ?

Overall the Falcons draft last year was very good and the future is bright for alot of them quite pleased with what TF did adding talent to the team in FA and the draft this last offseason.