End of Season Rookie Report

onejayhawk

On 12/30/2023 at 8:53 AM, tyler735 said:

Saints

71. Kendre Miller- He's tough to give a proper grade to at this point. While his rookie season has been disappointing due to injuries pilling up, he has shown potential when on the field. Almost feels a bit like a redshirt season for Miller. He did have 2 plays of 30+ yards on just 37 touches in the regular season and also had a 25+ yard play in the preseason. Can tell he has potential to be an explosive RB in the NFL, but he just needs to stay healthy. With Kamara playing well, Miller was never going to have much of a chance to do much as a rookie anyway. C+ (Expect year 2 to be much better though)

195. AT Perry- When we drafted him I couldn't believe he was still on the board in the 6th round. He didn't really a chance to play until Michael Thomas went down with an injury, so his stats don't jump off the page. He's played limited snaps over the past 6 games and has come away with some big catches during that stretch of games. He's another guy I could see making more of an impact for us in his second season. B

Was happy to see both of these guys get more looks in our final game of the year. Both players made big impacts in our thrashing of the Atlanta Falcons to close out the season. I think Kendre Miller is going to be a very good RB for us next season. Wouldn't surprise me if he is our primary RB over Kamara, allowing Kamara to be more of a pass catching weapon. 

AT Perry came away with 2 touchdown catches yesterday giving him 3 in the past 3 games. He is an absolute beast on 50/50 balls (feels more like 70/30) with his height and athleticism to high point the ball. Very curious to see how he develops next season. He moves really well for a guy with his size.  He has all the tools to be an impact WR for us. Excited to see the trio of Olave, Shaheed, and Perry (quartet with Michael Thomas maybe coming back?) next season. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

But you chose that over a D. Key words “try and take it”. You’ve been wrong this whole thread. People have pointed it out to you. No where in the Op do you talk about these being grades for the end of their rookie contract which you can’t predict. But the moment someone gave a player a grade you didn’t like you tried to dog walk it backwards. No rookie end of season review grades that way. It’s graded on how they performed in the season. Do better.

Now you see what weve had to deal with in the Chiefs forum for years now lol

15 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Matthew Bergeron - A+ -  Came in as a rookie took over the starting LG spot and hasn't looked back.  Even had a few weeks he graded out as a top OL for the week on PFF.  Think one week he broke into the mid 90's was quite impressive.  

On 1/2/2024 at 3:45 PM, Soko said:

4.117 - Sidy Sow OL - A learning season for the young (but old for a rookie) linemen. After getting tried out at tackle for most of the preseason and camp, he’s settled in at guard with the musical chairs of OL, taking Michael Onwenu’s spot (whose moved to RT and played well). He hasn’t been great, but he’s been a fixture at RG since he’s been there, and hasn’t been killing the team. 

Bergeron, 38th overall: 4 penalties, 5 sacks allowed, 59.6 PFF grade, 100% snaps.

Sow, 117th overall: 2 penalties, 4 sacks allowed, 65.2 PFF grade, 85% snaps.

I must be a glutton for punishment, because although I didn’t give A-F grades, I’d have given Sow a B- or C+. Take these grades with a grain of salt…

57 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I am amazed by this. I had a 1st round grade on him. I wonder why he's sucking so hard.

I was actually upset when the Ravens cut him, his play was mixed in the preseason but physically he looked legit, I thought he'd be a developmental CB. If 4 teams cut him within a few month span, he must have some issue. 

9 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I was actually upset when the Ravens cut him, his play was mixed in the preseason but physically he looked legit, I thought he'd be a developmental CB. If 4 teams cut him within a few month span, he must have some issue. 

I wonder if he's an idiot. Because he is awesome in press man, which he played almost exclusively in college. Kinda funny because his dad was a stud in zone coverage. That said, it's purely speculative. I honestly don't know what his issues are other than he's a tad slow for the position...but not critically so.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Soko said:

Bergeron, 38th overall: 4 penalties, 5 sacks allowed, 59.6 PFF grade, 100% snaps.

Sow, 117th overall: 2 penalties, 4 sacks allowed, 65.2 PFF grade, 85% snaps.

I must be a glutton for punishment, because although I didn’t give A-F grades, I’d have given Sow a B- or C+. Take these grades with a grain of salt…

Im actually surprised Bergeron ended up with a 59.6 PFF grade.  He had a few weeks for them where he was in the 80 to 95 range lol.  Im guessing some weeks they must have had him in the 30's for some reason as well to balance that out to reach a 59.6.  Atleast from eye test and from the falcons message board Bergeron was much better than a 60 from what we could tell.    Also 2 penalties and 4 sacks from a rookie is quite good imo Sow unless he was just getting beat over and over again outside of those 4 sacks prob. deserve an A as well.   Like any player even more so rookies you will have a bad rep or 2 and give up a sack here and there.  But if the rest of the game you are opening big holes or stopping a pass rusher at the los.  Thats a big win imo and Bergeron when watching him was doing that quite often.   Dalman and Mcgary on the other hand was getting decimated in *** pro over and over again this year.   Im interested in seeing their PFF grades because no way they should be ranked higher than Bergeron from what we seen this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I am amazed by this. I had a 1st round grade on him. I wonder why he's sucking so hard.

Can only cover press man.  Looked lost in zone and off man.  That was my predraft read on him.  I had him as a day 3 or undrafted. 

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Can only cover press man.  Looked lost in zone and off man.  That was my predraft read on him.  I had him as a day 3 or undrafted. 

Yeah that makes sense, but it seems like something that'd be easy to figure out (zone). It's the guys that can't cover anyone 1-1 that I would avoid. Press man cover corners are the unicorns IMO.

Just now, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah that makes sense, but it seems like something that'd be easy to figure out (zone). It's the guys that can't cover anyone 1-1 that I would avoid. Press man cover corners are the unicorns IMO.

I knocked Porter down because he was roughly the same but the Steeler switched to a lot of press man and he has looked a little better.  Still a mess in off man but...

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I wonder if he's an idiot. Because he is awesome in press man, which he played almost exclusively in college. Kinda funny because his dad was a stud in zone coverage. That said, it's purely speculative. I honestly don't know what his issues are other than he's a tad slow for the position...but not critically so.

Does Stanford take in, much less keep for multiple years, idiots?