pgwingman's Mock Offseason V2.0 (Bakh staying)

pgwingman

How would you handle LT?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How would you handle LT?

• Bakh starts, with Rasheed backing up
    • Rasheed starts, with a mid round pick backing him up. Bakh cut.
    • High draft pick starts, Rasheed backing up

On 12/25/2023 at 12:07 AM, coachbuns said:

Im referring to Brit Pack and his thoughts on not drafting defense ..... not the draft itself.

Firstly you can't take me seriously.

BUT if you did...the way I see it is we are closer to being an elite offence than defence and we seem to draft better offence than defence and I couldn't stand seeing another failed DB in the first round. I would just double down and do whatever we can to make sure there are no holes on our offence and put enough around Love to ensure his success. Get us to the point of putting up 30 points a game and not worry about our defence.

Our oline depth will really, really stnk in 2024. Newman should be gone, Nijam will be gone, Runyan should be gone. That leaves us with Caleb Jones!!! Draft oline in the 1st and 2nd. Get some completion for gaurd/centre/tackle. Myers will be entering his final year and not sure I want to make a commitment to him plus he has no one to challenge or back him up without making another spot weaker on the oline. We need another minimum 3 to 4 oline players to fill out this roster, I don't want them all to be in the 4th to 7th rounds.

WR for me could already be elite but I don't mind spending another 2nd rounder. Watson has proven not to be healthy enough to last a full season. We are now seeing what happens when Wicks and Reed are out! While I like Heath I wouldn't cry if he left, Toure has shown nothing. Also drafting a WR now means we are not held to ransom in a years time when Watson and Doubs enter their final years. Just give Love more weapons!

While Musgrave and Kraft are cool, I don't see us paying up for Josiah who will be a FA. This room needs some depth.

Finally' RB, I would agree with finding a way to keep Jones around but I'm not paying to keep Dillon, even if he is cheap. I want those cap dollars for at least a couple of low level defensive players. Invest another 2nd or 3rd rounder and improve what we have their. Even if we keep Jones he is heading towards the *** end of his career now. 

IF we did not look at defence for our first three rounds I would be so happy and feel this team is properly loaded on offence. There are holes on this offence that need filling!!!

Let's see what a new DC can do with what we currently have, then we know how deficient out current crop of players are before trying to move on from them.

I mean we have on paper got a good bunch of DL and edge players, ILB could be better but we have three very serviceable players and wouldn't spend a premium pick on another. CBs we have Stokes, Jaire, Valentine and Ballentine, with the former two playing better than the 1st rounders. I would cry if we picked another CB.

Safety is the only issue on paper we have with our roster but willing to wait till 2025 before investing in it through FA, we suck at drafting safeties: Ha Ha, Savage, Randall, Josh Jones. I think Burnett is the best safety we have drafted in recent memory.

Go offence in this draft often and early and screw the defence!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

BUT if you did...the way I see it is we are closer to being an elite offence than defence and we seem to draft better offence than defence and I couldn't stand seeing another failed DB in the first round. I would just double down and do whatever we can to make sure there are no holes on our offence and put enough around Love to ensure his success. Get us to the point of putting up 30 points a game and not worry about our defence.

Our oline depth will really, really stnk in 2024. Newman should be gone, Nijam will be gone, Runyan should be gone. That leaves us with Caleb Jones!!! Draft oline in the 1st and 2nd. Get some completion for gaurd/centre/tackle. Myers will be entering his final year and not sure I want to make a commitment to him plus he has no one to challenge or back him up without making another spot weaker on the oline. We need another minimum 3 to 4 oline players to fill out this roster, I don't want them all to be in the 4th to 7th rounds.

WR for me could already be elite but I don't mind spending another 2nd rounder. Watson has proven not to be healthy enough to last a full season. We are now seeing what happens when Wicks and Reed are out! While I like Heath I wouldn't cry if he left, Toure has shown nothing. Also drafting a WR now means we are not held to ransom in a years time when Watson and Doubs enter their final years. Just give Love more weapons!

While Musgrave and Kraft are cool, I don't see us paying up for Josiah who will be a FA. This room needs some depth.

Finally' RB, I would agree with finding a way to keep Jones around but I'm not paying to keep Dillon, even if he is cheap. I want those cap dollars for at least a couple of low level defensive players. Invest another 2nd or 3rd rounder and improve what we have their. Even if we keep Jones he is heading towards the *** end of his career now. 

IF we did not look at defence for our first three rounds I would be so happy and feel this team is properly loaded on offence. There are holes on this offence that need filling!!!

Let's see what a new DC can do with what we currently have, then we know how deficient out current crop of players are before trying to move on from them.

I mean we have on paper got a good bunch of DL and edge players, ILB could be better but we have three very serviceable players and wouldn't spend a premium pick on another. CBs we have Stokes, Jaire, Valentine and Ballentine, with the former two playing better than the 1st rounders. I would cry if we picked another CB.

Safety is the only issue on paper we have with our roster but willing to wait till 2025 before investing in it through FA, we suck at drafting safeties: Ha Ha, Savage, Randall, Josh Jones. I think Burnett is the best safety we have drafted in recent memory.

You Brits .. can't take you seriously.  I will agree offense is nice to have; especially on the OL where more depth is needed for sure.  To use the 5 picks GB has in the 1st 3 rounds all on offense is Madden football.  I understand your thoughts on this as the defense and your buddy Barry has crapped the bed but a new D coordinator and scheme will help.  A nice mix of both sides of the ball through the draft and a free agent or two should put them on the right track for 2024.

Edited by coachbuns

On 12/24/2023 at 7:25 PM, Toddfather said:

I really like you brining up keeping Bakh, and also great work! A lot of mocks probsbly will have him an easy dump. Other things to note is he has (1) like you said stated he wanted to be back. (2) He has stated publicly about his good relationship with Gute and their communication. (3) He opened up about the genetic condition, the surgeries, and the three more he is having before another come back attempt. I wonder if there is real conversation about keeping him? He was on a HOF trajectory before the injury and he himself stated after the Chicago game he knows he can still play, but it was like playing with one hand tied behind his back. IF and I mean IF the surgeries and rehab are a success I could see that conversation you referenced in your mock being a real possibility. 

On 12/25/2023 at 1:39 AM, Pugger said:

It is so hard to vote with the choices you gave.  If Bak's knee is functional again and he can play he is starting.  But this is such a big IF.  Before his injury he was considered one of the top LTs in the league.  This is such a sad situation for the team and the player. 

Yeah I really think Bakh is this years "beautiful mystery". In my heart, I really want to see Bakh come back, and I think he wants the same. It's certainly possible, but is it fiscally feasible? To be fair, we could add some void years to help minimize his cap hit. But I would wager that this team really wants to get back to a flat cap situation where we try to avoid those sort of moves. And then you have Rasheed Walker, who's proven to be an above average backup player, but maybe not a guy you'd want to depend on as LT1.

17 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Kool Aid and Jaire would be a killer duo.  Don’t see us cutting Ballentine tho. Like you said, You can’t have too many DBs.

Yeah, I think Ballentine is a nice CB4, but he is a free agent this offseason and I'm not putting roster priority on him. Kool Aid was there with our first pick, so I took him. And honestly, this DB room depresses me moving into the offseason. I think Jaire bounces back with new coaching next year, but what else do you have? Stokes is now going on 2 season of injury disappointment. Valentine seems like a nice depth piece. The safety room is mostly departing this offseason.

I think we all agree Gute prioritizes premium positions in Round 1 of his drafting. So if you go down this roster, CB seems like the biggest priority of premium position. 

On 12/24/2023 at 2:31 PM, coachbuns said:

They have a 1st, 2-2nds, 2-3rds and you only want offense only?!  Where are you going to put them?  The Packers have 2 very nice young TE's and 3-4 good young WR's.  GB will need a RB or two which can be drafted basically anywhere and a couple of OL should be drafted.  If MHJ drops down, sure but other than that, what WR's would help or want?  The defense has holes all over .. safety, slot and reg. corner, ilb and d line.  Draft the best available 5 players of those spots and fill in with the other 6 picks.  They can utilize cap $$ to snag a player or two in 2024 and then in 2025, really go after free agency if needed to really fill out the team.  A good "NEW" d coordinator can/could make a huge difference.  All one has to do is look at Minn, Carolina and Jets for their results this year to see how that works.  

WR Malik Nabers is up there with MHJ and a very worthwhile choice.

For the Defense, the Dline is not in urgent need. The CBs there are Stokes / Alexander (when healthy) / Valentine and Nixon - not a bad group at all. I would still at least consider a CB early, not because the need is great but because it is a very good draft for CBs and a bargain might be had.

I could see a Safety, ILB and an Edge, but on the whole, my mock drafts have switched between O and D. An OT or CB/S (DeJean) in the first - and if OT in round one, someone like safety Nubin, in round 2. After that you want a RB, IOL, with maybe a linebacker in round 3/4. At this time I am uncertain how much Green bay would covet an OT. Zach Tom is fine and Rasheed Walker is quickly improving, so the earlier perceived need at OT may not now require a high pick. I did consider the big Edge Laiatu Latu for the first pick as well - I guess much will depend on his medical.

Who would I like to see on the Packers squad as a day one or two pick ? Edge Latu,or Tuimoloau, S DeJean, Nubin or Bullock, C Van Pran, or Frazier, or Powers-Johnson. OT Alt, Latham or Guyton, any RB worthy of a second or third round pick. I also like the idea of a huge NT like T'Vondre Sweat, possibly with the second round 2 pick and definitely if he lasts to their first pick in round 3...............even though I am always very nervous of guys who weigh much over 320 lb.

I quite like Christian Haynes (guard) as well, in the 3rd, and I wouldn't turn my nose up at ILB Cooper, Gray or Eichenberg, with a 3rd rounder.

Trade up / trade down. At around pick 13, the Packers miss out on the truly elite guys, but should get a very good player. I'd move up for OT Alt (unlikely he slips far enough to be a target), WR Nabers and not much else. If I traded down, I'd like the pick received to still be somewhere in the teens, not the 20's.

So what are the players you covet ?

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

OK so let's go down your logic

-Drafting OG/OT/C in the first round: This is certainly a possibility, but I would remind you that Gute tends toward drafting premium positions in the first round. So LT seems like the only candidate there, but I think our options open up a little more in the second round.

-Drafting another WR in the second round: This one bothers me a bit. The reason i added the second chart was to try and predict how many guys we would retain at each position. In both 2022 and 2023 we carried 6 guys into the season. So even if agree with your premise, who would you want to displace off the roster? Doubs, Watson, Wicks, Reed are all locks. Heath, Toure, and Melton are special teams guys who have each had some nice moments filling in on offense. And it looks as though Musgrave and Kraft will have substantial roles catching the ball. So do you really want to draft a WR just to push Watson down to WR5? I just don't see that being feasible. And I don't see us keeping 7 WRs.

-Dillon is a good question. I could be wrong, but I think his best football is ahead of him. He's been very durable, and at a certain price he is worth keeping. 

-I do agree with you that a new DC has some good pieces up front to work with, but I'd ask you to take another look at the DB room. Jaire is a lock given the size of his contract. Stokes has really been weighed down by injuries this year and last year, and I'm not sure he's shown enough when healthy to warrant an extension in 2025. I have high hopes for him, but I don't think you can call him a lock. Valentine is a nice CB3. Ballentine will be a free agent, and is he really good enough to dictate the draft? If CB is the best available player in the draft, I think you have to consider it.

-Overall, I'll agree with you that this teams biggest defensive need is a new DC. But even with a new DC you have some needs.

On 12/24/2023 at 8:52 AM, Old Guy said:

I voted for Rasheed starting and a mid-round pick backing him up. I actually think we could go T in round 2 with the Jets pick though. Rasheed would still start. 

I think this would be my preferred choice as well.  I love the idea of keeping Bakh, but I'm just not sure the dollars make the risk worth it. If one of the top tackles fell to our first pick, I'd certainly consider it. But in the end Walker has played admirably for a 7th round backup, and in my mind has earned the starting job for now. 

37 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

WR Malik Nabers is up there with MHJ and a very worthwhile choice.

For the Defense, the Dline is not in urgent need. The CBs there are Stokes / Alexander (when healthy) / Valentine and Nixon - not a bad group at all. I would still at least consider a CB early, not because the need is great but because it is a very good draft for CBs and a bargain might be had.

I could see a Safety, ILB and an Edge, but on the whole, my mock drafts have switched between O and D. An OT or CB/S (DeJean) in the first - and if OT in round one, someone like safety Nubin, in round 2. After that you want a RB, IOL, with maybe a linebacker in round 3/4. At this time I am uncertain how much Green bay would covet an OT. Zach Tom is fine and Rasheed Walker is quickly improving, so the earlier perceived need at OT may not now require a high pick. I did consider the big Edge Laiatu Latu for the first pick as well - I guess much will depend on his medical.

Who would I like to see on the Packers squad as a day one or two pick ? Edge Latu, Tuimoloau, S DeJean, Nubin or Bullock, C Van Pran, or Frazier, or Powers-Johnson. OT Alt, Latham or Guyton, any RB worthy of a second or third round pick. I also like the idea of a huge NT like T'Vondre Sweat, possibly with the second round 2 pick and definitely if he lasts to their first pick in round 3...............even though I am always very nervous of guys who weigh much over 320 lb.

I quite like Christian Haynes (guard) as well, in the 3rd, and I wouldn't turn my nose up at ILB Cooper, Gray or Eichenberg, with a 3rd rounder.

Trade up / trade down. At around pick 13, the Packers miss out on the truly elite guys, but should get a very good player. I'd move up for OT Alt (unlikely he slips far enough to be a target), WR Nabers and not much else. If I traded down, I'd like the pick received to still be somewhere in the teens, not the 20's.

So what are the players you covet ?

I'm not far enough into draft research to start coveting players. Right now I'm just curious what the roster looks like relative to the cap situation. The departing free agents can be easily replaced by draft picks. I think the players I covet the most will be the guys who can displace our last few large contracts on the roster: Bakh, Preston, Campbell. Maybe Kenny.

5 hours ago, pgwingman said:

Yeah I really think Bakh is this years "beautiful mystery". In my heart, I really want to see Bakh come back, and I think he wants the same. It's certainly possible, but is it fiscally feasible? To be fair, we could add some void years to help minimize his cap hit. But I would wager that this team really wants to get back to a flat cap situation where we try to avoid those sort of moves. And then you have Rasheed Walker, who's proven to be an above average backup player, but maybe not a guy you'd want to depend on as LT1.

IF Bak returns how about Walker at RT and move Tom inside?