Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

As far as Cousins benefiting by "drawing it out", I'm not sure that's necessarily the case considering he's coming off an injury.  Once Kirk's contract voids, I believe he has to pay for all rehab himself, that the Vikings would be off the hook for any other medical bills after that (although I'm not sure how that all works).  I think it's in his best interest to get it resolved sooner rather than later.

The “drawing it out” comment was about delaying contract discussion between Vikings & Kirk, not about Kirk’s rehab. Kirk is being aggressive on his rehab and using his own money into stem cell rehab in the Caribbean, and it’s openly talking about it in the media, telling everyone who will listen that he will be ready for OTAs on any team of course if you give the bag

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

The “drawing it out” comment was about delaying contract discussion between Vikings & Kirk, not about Kirk’s rehab. Kirk is being aggressive on his rehab and using his own money into stem cell rehab in the Caribbean, and it’s openly talking about it in the media, telling everyone who will listen that he will be ready for OTAs on any team of course if you give the bag

Ultimately, however, I have to believe they're related.  A guy who is as conscientious about money as he is isn't going to want to continue to funnel all his own money into rehab if he can get some of it subsidized by his employer. 

13 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

The “drawing it out” comment was about delaying contract discussion between Vikings & Kirk, 

which is not to Kirk's benefit either. if Kirk's Kamp draws it out, so to speak, and the Vikings say no, we're done, then the K's have just lost a suitor. and perhaps during that lingering, drawn out time other teams made their moves too, not wanting to wait longer either.

now it's not Kirk controlling the market any more, or even being able to choose among a maximum number of multiple teams and home cities for his family life.

12 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

which is not to Kirk's benefit either. if Kirk's Kamp draws it out, so to speak, and the Vikings say no, we're done, then the K's have just lost a suitor. and perhaps during that lingering, drawn out time other teams made their moves too, not wanting to wait longer either.

now it's not Kirk controlling the market any more, or even being able to choose among a maximum number of multiple teams and home cities for his family life.

Agree.  I think there's a very limited market for a QB of his age and health (right now).  I honestly can't believe it's more than between the Vikings and Falcons, with an outside shot towards either the Patriots or Steelers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Will the Vikings actually say no, if they haven’t had the conversation yet? That’s the benefit of Kirk delaying the conversation with Minny, while Kirk’s camp talks to other teams personnel at the senior bowl. 

Makes sense to talk to other teams she get their offers before engaging Minny. And the price theoretically climbs assuming he starts to post workout/rehab videos so everyone can see

Edited by CriminalMind

Just now, CriminalMind said:

Will the Vikings actually say no, if they haven’t had the conversation yet? 

you can assume the Vikings will say no if they give K a deadline and he "draws it out" beyond it, yes.

that's why you give a deadline.

12 hours ago, swede700 said:

Agree.  I think there's a very limited market for a QB of his age and health (right now).  I honestly can't believe it's more than between the Vikings and Falcons, with an outside shot towards either the Patriots or Steelers. 

Raiders have to be included in that outside shot as well. Hard to see Kirk wanting to go to LV, buts not like he’ll live on the strip or anything. He live in Summerlin or any family friendly, upscale neighborhood. 

4 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

Raiders have to be included in that outside shot as well. Hard to see Kirk wanting to go to LV, buts not like he’ll live on the strip or anything. He live in Summerlin or any family friendly, upscale neighborhood. 

I wouldn't even put them as an outside shot still having Jimmy G on the roster with basically the same amount of dead cap as Kirk.

Odds On Next Team For Kirk Cousins

Team Odds Percent Chance
Minnesota Vikings +150 40.0%
Atlanta Falcons +600 14.3%
Denver Broncos +700 12.5%
Las Vegas Raiders +900 10.0%
New England Patriots +900 10.0%
Pittsburgh Steelers +1500 6.3%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers +1500 6.3%
Other +1200 7.7%

Of course, PFF does list the Raiders as an option...I just don't see it as likely.

2. QB KIRK COUSINS, MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Potential landing spot(s): Atlanta Falcons, Pittsburgh Steelers, Las Vegas Raiders

Cousins should be able to go on another free agency tour as he did back in 2018 before signing a fully guaranteed three-year contract with the Minnesota Vikings. The Falcons jump out as a team that took the risk of not having a sure thing at quarterback in 2023, which ultimately got head coach Arthur Smith fired, and they may be just outside striking range for a top prospect with the No. 8 overall pick. They could also pair a developmental rookie with Cousins starting for a year or two.

Pittsburgh has said it’ll bring in competition for Kenny Pickett heading into 2024, but this wouldn’t be competition, it would be the starting job, so perhaps Cousins is too big a fish.

The Raiders also sit at the No. 13 overall pick, and veteran Jimmy Garoppolo appears to be on the way out after getting benched for rookie Aidan O’Connell. If new head coach Antonio Pierce wants to make Davante Adams and Jakobi Meyers happy, perhaps he looks to make a splash.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-nfl-free-agency-potential-landing-spots-for-top-quarterbacks-and-wide-receivers

And as far as a contract goes, unlike that ridiculous Charley Walters prediction, they list a more reasonable 2 yrs/$60M with $37.5M guaranteed for Kirk. 

14 hours ago, swede700 said:

Of course, PFF does list the Raiders as an option...I just don't see it as likely.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-nfl-free-agency-potential-landing-spots-for-top-quarterbacks-and-wide-receivers

And as far as a contract goes, unlike that ridiculous Charley Walters prediction, they list a more reasonable 2 yrs/$60M with $37.5M guaranteed for Kirk. 

If that’s the price, they’d be stupid not to pay it. 

There was a report last summer that Cousins was looking for a 2 year deal at around $37.5M per year, and the Vikings passed on it. Presumably, they passed on it because they were more interested in getting deals done with Hock and JJ, and figuring out Hunter’s situation. Cousins wasn’t at the top of their priority list.

But, if the Vikings passed on Cousins’ willingness to accept $37.5M, I can’t imagine that they’re willing to go north of that figure this year. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

There was a report last summer that Cousins was looking for a 2 year deal at around $37.5M per year, and the Vikings passed on it. Presumably, they passed on it because they were more interested in getting deals done with Hock and JJ, and figuring out Hunter’s situation. Cousins wasn’t at the top of their priority list.

But, if the Vikings passed on Cousins’ willingness to accept $37.5M, I can’t imagine that they’re willing to go north of that figure this year. 

I’m at peace with moving on from Kirk. It’s time. I think 37.5M is too rich. So, 40M or 45M is just out of the question, in my opinion.

Move up and draft the QBOTF or bring in a vet on a reasonable contract and take a flyer on Penix or McCarthy (I prefer the upside of McCarthy over Penix. At the moment, anyway 😂). 

Edited by marshpit23
Clean up wording
  • Like 2

Recent quote from Kirk, where he says “we’re waiting till first couple of weeks in March to have those conservations (with other teams as the final head coaches vacancies are filled)”

sounds like the eye is on other teams, at least based on what he saying

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

sounds like the eye is on other teams, at least based on what he saying

or that his agent is going to do his due diligence and talk to other teams once they get their coaching staffs in place. doesn't really have to mean anything more than that.

• Like 1