Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

36 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

If they don't kick the $28MM from Cousins' current contract down the road further, they can always kick $28MM down the road in other ways.  I agree that it is most likely they would do it earlier for maximum flexibility, but I don't think they absolutely have to.  There are so many ways to manipulate the cap numbers of a given year they can survive without kicking that particular $28MM down the road and still sign Cousins later if they had to. 

Exactly. The only reason that they would absolutely have to get a deal done before March 13th is if they want to lower his 2024 cap hit and create cap space. 

But, given Cousins age, I’m not sure that’s the most prudent move. 

33 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

If they don't kick the $28MM from Cousins' current contract down the road further, they can always kick $28MM down the road in other ways.  I agree that it is most likely they would do it earlier for maximum flexibility, but I don't think they absolutely have to.  There are so many ways to manipulate the cap numbers of a given year they can survive without kicking that particular $28MM down the road and still sign Cousins later if they had to. 

I think that they'd want to, though.  I don't think you want to lose the flexibility of kicking the current $28M can down the road, because that limits your flexibility this year and likely next as well.  If his $28M cap hit kicks in immediately, then that severely limits their options on improving the defensive talent in free agency this year (if that's the intention).  So, you really can't have it both ways.  They'd actually need to extend him prior to 3/13 to have any ability to add any significant amount of talent in free agency.  If they don't, then they really won't likely get either.

• Like 1

Since I've discussed betting odds with several other things today...of all crazy things, the betting odds have shifted to the Commanders for Kirk's services (+400), with the Vikings now listed at #2.  How odd would that be? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Since I've discussed betting odds with several other things today...of all crazy things, the betting odds have shifted to the Commanders for Kirk's services (+400), with the Vikings now listed at #2.  How odd would that be? 

I’ve mentioned it before. It makes even more sense with Dan Quinn as the head coach. 

It don’t make sense to retain Cousins if your locked the $28M on the books for 2024, along with giving Kirk a 2/$80M deal. If your committing to Kirk, your trying to win now, which means spending money in free agency now, which you’ve just hindered if you’re locked an additional $28M in the cap for Kirk. 

• Like 2

Justin Jefferson: “I would like him to stay. I would love to have Kirk stay and have that connection with him. It’s going to be difficult to create that new connection with a whole new quarterback. Especially if we don’t know if we’re going to draft one, we don’t know if we’re going to pick one up. It’s a difficult situation. I would like to have him back."

Alexander Mattison: “I just pray that we get Kirk Cousins back because I love that guy. I’ve been playing with him since I got in, and he changes the game, for sure.”

Chuck Foreman:  “I think they should bring them back together. I think Kirk Cousins, when everything is in place, he’s one of the better quarterbacks in the game. Kirk Cousins is the guy we need.”

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/opinion/chuck-foreman-lends?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

Trying to look at this from a different angle, but how many teams are realistically going to be interested in, or appealing too, Cousins?

There’s maybe 8 teams that would probably like to have Cousins, and who aren’t already stuck with a high priced QB; Minnesota, Washington, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, New England, Las Vegas, and Denver. Plus, I’ll include San Francisco, because that rumor just won’t go away. 

Of those 8 teams, Minnesota, Washington, Atlanta, New England, and Las Vegas are likely the only ones that can make it work with their cap situation. 

Of those 5 remaining teams, which ones are the most appealing to Cousins? Would Washington or New England forego one of the top QB prospects in the draft to go with Cousins?

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

they can't do both?

But why? 

It’s the same situation as has been discussed regarding the Vikings. Signing Cousins is a multi year commitment to him. 

You draft a QB in the top 5 to be the face and future. Hard to market that when he’s going to be on the bench to at least 2 years. 

• Like 3

The ship has sailed here. This team isn't Superbowl next year with Kirk so it's time to probably move on. I was at that point at the trade deadline am right back. Too bad they didn't trade Hunter when they had the chance. Kirk has had his chance with some good teams here. He's been good but that Giants game still stings. Time to move on

When the dust settles, if Cousins goes elsewhere, I’m getting the feeling that it’s not going to be the money (in terms of AAV) that prevents him from returning to Minnesota. It’s going to be the years committed. 

I get the feeling that the Vikings are looking for a 1-2 year deal, while Cousins is looking for a 3-4 year deal. 

10 hours ago, babababa said:

The ship has sailed here. This team isn't Superbowl next year with Kirk so it's time to probably move on. I was at that point at the trade deadline am right back. Too bad they didn't trade Hunter when they had the chance. Kirk has had his chance with some good teams here. He's been good but that Giants game still stings. Time to move on

We lost to KC 20-27 and outplayed them for a good portion of the game. We beat the 49ers. In primetime. This year's team, with Kirk Cousins, would have made the playoffs and would have had as good a chance as anyone to make/win the Super Bowl. Would they have? Who knows. But we don't know what the composition of this team will look like in August. But with any improvements whatsoever, they have a chance to again. They can also draft his successor and let him learn. Not a bad thing either.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

We lost to KC 20-27 and outplayed them for a good portion of the game. We beat the 49ers. In primetime. This year's team, with Kirk Cousins, would have made the playoffs and would have had as good a chance as anyone to make/win the Super Bowl. Would they have? Who knows. But we don't know what the composition of this team will look like in August. But with any improvements whatsoever, they have a chance to again. They can also draft his successor and let him learn. Not a bad thing either.

I appreciate this.  You articulate my thoughts as well.