Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

37 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Sounds like the Vikings are trying to have their cake and eat it too. 

interesting tidbit of news, that the Vikes won't go for a fully guaranteed deal...

that just helped any other team wanting to sign him too. or persuades one to give him just that to be at the top of the stack.

methinks we've seen the last of Kirko in purple.

I feel like Kirk will go elsewhere unless he decides that he really doesn't want to leave Minnesota and gives up a lot of guarantees. 

I just hope the Vikings don't cave to all of his demands.  As much as I like Kirk, I think it's time to move on

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

interesting tidbit of news, that the Vikes won't go for a fully guaranteed deal...

that just helped any other team wanting to sign him too. or persuades one to give him just that to be at the top of the stack.

methinks we've seen the last of Kirko in purple.

It’s all about commitment. For moment one Cousins has said that he wants that commitment. 

From a money standpoint, guaranteeing or not fully guaranteeing the deal is meaningless if the team is committed to the player because his salary will always be guaranteed if he’s on the roster opening week. 

If the report is accurate and the Vikings aren’t willing to fully guarantee the contract, that tells me that they don’t want to commit to Cousins for more than a year or two. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

If the report is accurate and the Vikings aren’t willing to fully guarantee the contract, that tells me that they don’t want to commit to Cousins for more than a year or two. 

i agree. and/or the Vikes are going to play hardball with Kirk to see if it has an effect on his package structure.

gotta say i like the toughness i'm seeing in Kwesi.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

However, this information was also likely received from Cousins’ agent. Who’s trying to spin/negotiate through the media. Which is very common at this time of year.

also interesting. but i don't immediately see the tactic and how releasing the info (be it true or not) helps the Cousins Camp in their negotiations.

how do you see the ploy, if it is one?

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

I think it’s out there to generate a reaction. I could be wrong that it’s from Cousins’ camp, but it’s either that or from the team. It’s not coming from a 3rd party. Someone wants that information out there to gauge the reaction. 

• Like 1

I’ve said it before, I don’t think that the sticking point is money, it’s the length of contract. The commitment. 

And this report makes me feel validated I’m my opinion. 

And that’s why this thing is likely going to go until March. If the Vikings are only willing to give a 1-2 year deal, and Cousins wants a 3-4 year deal, Cousins’ camp isn’t going to get an idea as to whether or not another team is willing to give him that 3-4 year commitment until March. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

also interesting. but i don't immediately see the tactic and how releasing the info (be it true or not) helps the Cousins Camp in their negotiations.

This seems like something that the Cousins camp wouldn’t want to come out (negative for Cousins). Also we can call bull on the “I’m exciting to see where I’m going and about the discussions that are going to start a couple weeks into March for teams including the Vikings”.

Netural for Vikings, for the most part, but maybe slightly positive for the Vikings, if its meant to show the JJ camp, that this front office is looking for 1-2 years of guaranteed salary, even for the top players

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think it’s out there to generate a reaction. I could be wrong that it’s from Cousins’ camp, but it’s either that or from the team. It’s not coming from a 3rd party. Someone wants that information out there to gauge the reaction. 

if the Cousin-ites are releasing it, i can't see how it helps them. as it would allow other teams to now lower their offers in kind. unless it results in one (or more) teams sweetening their offers with a full guarantee, but that's unliekly because of its high dollar amount and the injury. it's also risky on the CCamp's part because only one team might offer the Big G and they might not be their first or second choice.

if it comes from the Kwesi Camp, then they'd be doing it to create just that effect mentioned above, so to lower Kirk's value which in turn lowers his agent's eventual offer to the Vikes. but that's going to have the real effect of very much offending Kirk. or... Kwesi is just being honest with him, and drawing the line and asking him to meet it himself.

Edited by vike daddy

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

This seems like something that the Cousins camp wouldn’t want to come out (negative for Cousins). Also we can call bull on the “I’m exciting to see where I’m going and about the discussions that are going to start a couple weeks into March for teams including the Vikings”.

Netural for Vikings, for the most part, but maybe slightly positive for the Vikings, if its meant to show the JJ camp, that this front office is looking for 1-2 years of guaranteed salary, even for the top players

Until Kwesi signs Kirk or announces that the team and Cousins are parting ways...it's all Horse Hooey."

34 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I don't see how playing hardball with the most important position on the field is necessarily a good thing?

I get the idea of tough negotiations, but the last thing you want is being stuck without a QB.

I think you mean stuck with a crappy QB like Mullens. But someone will play the position in 2024. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I don't see how playing hardball with the most important position on the field is necessarily a good thing?

I get the idea of tough negotiations, but the last thing you want is being stuck without a QB.

Should they write him a blank check? 

• Like 1