Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

8 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

A one-year min deal for WIlson is very tempting.  If Wilson was okay with the team doing that and picking a QB in the first round it is something the team ought to consider.

I wouldn't take a jar of pickles for Russ.  He's not tempting to me at all for any price. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I wouldn't take a jar of pickles for Russ.  He's not tempting to me at all for any price. 

Tell me how you really feel about Wilson.  It sounds similar to how I feel about Nick Mullens.  I would way rather see Wilson as the starting QB for the Vikings than Nick Mullens anywhere on the roster. 

It isn't really Mullens in particular for me.  He's just the guy right now on the roster that I would prefer to replace. I don't want the team using a roster spot on any QB that has proven they will never be a decent NFL starting QB.  Sean Manion was another wasted use of a roster spot.

A guy that has been a successful starting QB in the league is a reasonable player to hold the starting job while the rest of the QB roster spots are filled with developmental QB prospects that one can still hope will one day become a starting QB. Jaren Hall hasn't had enough opportunity for me to conclude he won't one day be a viable starter, but guys like Nick Mullens that have been around multiple years and then still failed when given an opportunity are not guys I would have on the roster.  Roster spots are a valuable commodity.

• Like 1

I just don't see Wilson as being the type of guy who would come in on a one or two year deal with a 1st round QB sitting behind him. 

If he would do that, I'd take him for $1.2MM. That kind of savings allows you to shore up a lot of the team around him and makes resigning Hunter much easier. Also allows you to get JJ and Darrisaw locked up and pursue a couple of other upgrades (Saquon Barkley?) in Free Agency. 

I don't like Wilson. I don't think he's ever going to be a Top 10 QB again. But for that price, the potential that he can be good enough and the benefit to the organization long-term could be too much to pass up.

Again, I don't think he could take having a rookie behind him though. His ego is just too fragile. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

A guy that has been a successful starting QB in the league is a reasonable player to hold the starting job while the rest of the QB roster spots are filled with developmental QB prospects that one can still hope will one day become a starting QB. 

remember when we brought in Donovan McNabb...?

good times.

• Like 2

For the record, I wouldn't care for Mullens starting either. 

But there is no price for me that I would want Russ on the roster.  He is a cancer to the locker-room as far as I'm concerned.  When multiple times over the last few years, players have had to defend him in the media, that tells me that where there's smoke, there's fire.  I'm over players that cause any kind of SCHISM! in the locker-room. 

That doesn't even take into account that he has one of the fakest personalities I've seen.  He's not a genuine person.  For all I hate about Aaron Rodgers, he doesn't really hide the fact any longer that he's a d-bag (he used to a little, but then he's sort of gone into that screw-it mode over the last few years).  Maybe I've been spoiled by Kirk, who is probably one of the most genuine players I've ever seen, I don't know.  I've never really cared for Russ, period, but at this point in his career, his performance can't overcome those flaws for me.  He's a fading QB with a poor personality.  Let someone else take him for the vet minimum...he'll prove still to be overpaid.          

• Like 3

Any team hoping to win over the next three years that isn't in position to land one of the top starters in the 2024 draft should be trying to pursue Cousins. That's a group that includes the Broncos, Buccaneers, Falcons, Raiders, Steelers and Titans, with the Dolphins and Seahawks as outside candidates if they move on from their current starters. Some of those teams will opt for longer shots in the draft, but if Cousins' recovery is on track, he should be able to get one more significant deal as a 35-year-old free agent.

Average annual salary projection: $51 million per season

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/39583560/2024-nfl-offseason-free-agency-best-available-quarterbacks-tight-ends-offensive-linemen-tiers-money-contract

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

For the record, I wouldn't care for Mullens starting either. 

But there is no price for me that I would want Russ on the roster.  He is a cancer to the locker-room as far as I'm concerned.  When multiple times over the last few years, players have had to defend him in the media, that tells me that where there's smoke, there's fire.  I'm over players that cause any kind of SCHISM! in the locker-room. 

That doesn't even take into account that he has one of the fakest personalities I've seen.  He's not a genuine person.  For all I hate about Aaron Rodgers, he doesn't really hide the fact any longer that he's a d-bag (he used to a little, but then he's sort of gone into that screw-it mode over the last few years).  Maybe I've been spoiled by Kirk, who is probably one of the most genuine players I've ever seen, I don't know.  I've never really cared for Russ, period, but at this point in his career, his performance can't overcome those flaws for me.  He's a fading QB with a poor personality.  Let someone else take him for the vet minimum...he'll prove still to be overpaid.          

I will admit that I haven't paid attention to Wilson to know much about his personality. That might be the reason, but it is apparent to me that have seen something you find alarming about his personality that I haven't yet been made aware of. From what I remember, early in his career any personality that I saw from Wilson was a winning personality.  He seemed to be a likable guy.  I do recall seeing a super cringe-worthy (Mr Unlimited) video of Wilson a couple years ago. However, I would never want anyone to judge me by my worst day so I wouldn't cast judgment on Wilson based on that one tiny piece of his life especially since I don't even know the full context of that video. 

Can you point to a few things specific, things concrete, as examples of the personality problems you see as alarming.  It is hard for me to make much out of vague references to teammates defending him in the media as support to disparage the fellow's personality.

I also remember that he chose to become a Badger, which ordinarily would cause me to question his judgement. Given how well that worked out for him, that may be more my bias showing through than an indictment of Wilson's judgement. Before condemning Wilson, I at least want to check into potential biases, possibly caused by living in a rival market and their media coverage, so please share details.  I personally don't blame the guy for taking the bag from the Broncos. I don't know if that is what you see as alarming, but I do wonder why Pete Carroll was willing to trade Wilson.  It is rare for an NFL team to trade a QB that has done as much for the team as Wilson had done for the Seahawks.

Edited by Cearbhall

19 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I will admit that I haven't paid attention to Wilson to know much about his personality. That might be the reason, but it is apparent to me that have seen something you find alarming about his personality that I haven't yet been made aware of. From what I remember, early in his career any personality that I saw from Wilson was a winning personality.  He seemed to be a likable guy.  I do recall seeing a super cringe-worthy (Mr Unlimited) video of Wilson a couple years ago. However, I would never want anyone to judge me by my worst day so I wouldn't cast judgment on Wilson based on that one tiny piece of his life especially since I don't even know the full context of that video. 

Can you point to a few things specific, things concrete, as examples of the personality problems you see as alarming.  It is hard for me to make much out of vague references to teammates defending him in the media as support to disparage the fellow's personality.

I also remember that he chose to become a Badger, which ordinarily would cause me to question his judgement. Given how well that worked out for him, that may be more my bias showing through than an indictment of Wilson's judgement. Before condemning Wilson, I at least want to check into potential biases, possibly caused by living in a rival market and their media coverage, so please share details.  I personally don't blame the guy for taking the bag from the Broncos. I don't know if that is what you see as alarming, but I do wonder why Pete Carroll was willing to trade Wilson.  It is rare for an NFL team to trade a QB that has done as much for the team as Wilson had done for the Seahawks.

I actually didn't mind Russ until the last couple of years where I've read several articles of how he's divided the locker room over personal privileges in Denver (apparently he had a personal office, which generally is only provided to coaches and executives) and in Seattle, especially over the last few years there, there was division as well because he appeared to put his personal business and endorsements over the team, and outside of Pete Carroll, there wasn't a whole lot of support for him.  

The cringe-worthy stuff like "Mr. Unlimited" or the knee-ups on the plane are absurd and make me roll my eyes, but that's really only the icing on top.  To me, he's just a regressing QB.  I also think that was evident in the Vikings game last year.  He was able to kill them at the end, as he is really good at doing, but for the rest of the game, he was barely average.  They wouldn't even have had the opportunity at the end if the Vikings' offense hadn't been giving him a short field several times that game.   

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The biggest red flag for Wilson is how former teammates talk about him. It’s not favorably. 

But, from just a pure football perspective, there’s nothing from the past 3 seasons that would make me interested in him.  

I had the privilege of meeting Wilson's father and grandfather while Russ was at NC State.  His dad was a patient in the hospital I worked in. Both of those men were gentlemen, of high character, and very proud of Russell. That’s as close to Russell Wilson as I have been. A lot can happen in the intervening time, but I can't imagine the son and grandson of those two would turn out to be a jerk. 

4 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

@BowserBroncos, could you give us your two centavos on this, please? what was Wilson criticized for over the years, personality wise, and was it justified?