Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Michigan is where they call home. And his wife is from Atlanta. 

Noted. I was under the impression they reside in Minnesota year round since he arrived with the Vikings.

18 minutes ago, BWG VIKE said:

Noted. I was under the impression they reside in Minnesota year round since he arrived with the Vikings.

they built a massive home in Michigan on a lakefront lot that cost them $2 mil alone. they also bought a golf course in Michigan from long time friends. so, i'd say Michigan is their final destination and they would sell their Minny home, which he does very much enjoy, once his Viking career ends.

Cousins talks about winning being apart of it all. Out of all the QB needy teams, the NFC South is set up for the easiest path to the dance. The NFC North has the making of a dog fight for the next while.

More money and warm weather in Atlanta vs getting beat up in the North.

• Like 2

ESPN's Dan Graziano: "The sense I'm getting is Minnesota still wants quarterback Kirk Cousins to return, but Cousins has a very specific idea in mind for what he wants in a new contract, and the Vikings so far have not made an offer that matches it. The ball might be in the team's court at this point. Cousins and his family like Minnesota and would be happy to stay and finish his career there, but it doesn't sound like he's willing to offer the team a hometown discount."

"I expect the Falcons to make a strong pursuit [to sign Cousins]. I have been told by multiple sources this week that signing Cousins -- not trading for Justin Fields -- is the Falcons' top QB solution, assuming Cousins makes it to free agency."

https://thevikingage.com/posts/latest-kirk-cousins-minnesota-vikings-exit-2024?fbclid=IwAR0Y7zDaSWig93FFC6PaxyrfYwbyV7neLTiCfNnm_HSz5VLsCj0L4PdicBg

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

At this point I expect Cousins to sign with Atlanta. 

so fortuitous for us if so, in landing a top QB in the draft. takes ATL out of the competitive mix in also trying to get one.

or will they sign Cousins AND draft a QB? not likely.

we have to watch for whether they want to trade down from #8 though...

On the veteran front, all eyes are on Cousins. That much was clear after my week in Indianapolis. And it’s because, even at 35 and coming off a torn Achilles, Cousins is seen as the easiest way for a team to quickly fill a quarterback hole, and keep it plugged for the next few years.

I’ll start by saying it’s my belief that the Vikings want to keep Cousins—and by that, I mean in particular the Minnesota coaching staff.

Naturally, the next question from there would be why, then, a new deal isn’t done already. And the negotiation of last offseason really tells the tale. In exploring an extension, the Vikings didn’t want to guarantee money past 2024. As Cousins saw it, he would have just been getting one extra year assured, while potentially signing the rest of the career away to the Vikings in the non-guaranteed years he’d be agreeing to.

The divide on that illustrates where the negotiation has been. Yes, Minnesota wants to keep Cousins, but it’s been made pretty clear that it won’t be on a fully-guaranteed deal for more than a couple of years. To each’s credit, that hasn’t drawn any sort of wedge between the quarterback and his team, so it’s not like there is some irreconcilable issue here if everyone can make the finances work.

Obviously, the Vikings and Cousins’s camp met at the combine in Indianapolis, so the lines of communication are open, though no price tag has been set by anyone yet.

If Cousins goes elsewhere? The Atlanta Falcons have been the team connected to him the most in league circles, with the offensive coaches putting in a system (Zac Robinson worked with Kevin O’Connell at the Rams) that he’s very familiar with. The Denver Broncos and New England Patriots are two others with offensive play-callers who, like O’Connell, want their quarterback to handle a lot at the line of scrimmage.

23 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Yes

Yes, and assuming it does not get canceled out with another signing.
There are bucket/tiers to determine comp picks.
Its possible/likely that a $22M free agent AAV signing would cancel out a $44M signing.

$21M was the lowest 3rd round comp 'assigned' last year

Edited by CriminalMind

Despite their need for a quarterback upgrade this offseason, the Patriots "have not yet shown interest in Cousins," according to the Boston Herald's Doug Kyed on Friday.

Following their decision to release veteran cornerback J.C. Jackson on Friday, New England currently has more than $101 million in cap space heading into free agency later this month.

https://thevikingage.com/posts/new-england-patriots-out-kirk-cousins-minnesota-vikings?fbclid=IwAR00f6ouXakJxBgenUjB1UOUgTuTcScJBoC1U5qV0psmDSQpTbs3KLTmBT0

NE sportswriters list the many coaches on their staff with overlapping experience with Mayfield. Even though the Pats have tons of cash to pay him with, i still feel he'll stay with the Bucs.

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Despite their need for a quarterback upgrade this offseason, the Patriots "have not yet shown interest in Cousins," according to the Boston Herald's Doug Kyed on Friday.

Following their decision to release veteran cornerback J.C. Jackson on Friday, New England currently has more than $101 million in cap space heading into free agency later this month.

https://thevikingage.com/posts/new-england-patriots-out-kirk-cousins-minnesota-vikings?fbclid=IwAR00f6ouXakJxBgenUjB1UOUgTuTcScJBoC1U5qV0psmDSQpTbs3KLTmBT0

NE sportswriters list the many coaches on their staff with overlapping experience with Mayfield. Even though the Pats have tons of cash to pay him with, i still feel he'll stay with the Bucs.

Other than money, Baker should absolutely want to stay in Tampa. I think it is a much better situation for him altogether.

• Like 1

My March 4th QB Carousel prediction;

Cousins signs with Atlanta
Mayfield re-signs with Tampa Bay
Fields traded to Pittsburgh

Williams draft by Chicago
Daniels drafted by Washington
Maye drafted by Minnesota after trade up with the Chargers
McCarthy drafted by Las Vegas after trade up with Atlanta
Nix drafted by Denver after trade down, or two
Penix drafted by New England on day 2

Wilson sits out 2024, or waits until someone gets hurt

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

My March 4th QB Carousel prediction;

Cousins signs with Atlanta
Mayfield re-signs with Tampa Bay
Fields traded to Pittsburgh

Williams draft by Chicago
Daniels drafted by Washington
Maye drafted by Minnesota after trade up with the Chargers
McCarthy drafted by Las Vegas after trade up with Atlanta
Nix drafted by Denver after trade down, or two
Penix drafted by New England on day 2

Wilson sits out 2024, or waits until someone gets hurt

I approve of this prediction!  "Maye" it all come to pass!!

• Like 1