2024 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

I get the feeling people are in love with the idea of “The Stache” and his likable personality. But once the bottom 5-7 QB play commences on the field everyone will be changing their tune. I still have no idea why we paid that man so much money when his level of play is roughly on par with AOC.
For Minshew’s level of play we could have signed Russell Wilson for $1.2 million, traded a 6th rounder and paid $3.2 million for Justin Fields, signed Mason Rudolph for $2.9 million, signed James Winston for $4 million, signed Drew Lock for $4 million, or signed Marcus Mariota for $6 million. But for some reason we paid 2-6x above fair market value for “The Stache”. 

Fire Tom Telesco and Luke Getsy ASAP 

1. Yeah, pretty much. He's not the greatest, but he's likeable and we know his long term role will be as a backup and mentor. 

2. Not wrong. I still think his signing had more to do with style than substance. I think it’s clear we want more mobility in the offense and he offers a lot more of that than AOC, which may seem insignificant for a backup, but it could be the difference in having to adjust the entire offense on the fly or not. 

3. Happily. I didn't care for either hire. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 9:56 PM, Jeremy408 said:

RG is the cannon fodder position of the NFL. One sneaky thing that it came out at the end of the season was that they signed DJ Fluker to a future contract. Apparently he worked out an Alabama pro day last year and wasn't like the best shape of his life

Typo, but anyway, yeah I can attest. We played in high school for a couple years together and are still friends on facebook. 

Dude got absolutely jacked. Then we signed him. He knows I'm a Raider fan so we avoid football talk though. But he's a super cool dude. We actually got yipped at a few times for tossing footballs in the hallway. Anyway, it's actually been a fun watch on his feed seeing him go from out of the league to being on the cusp of playing time again. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Typo, but anyway, yeah I can attest. We played in high school for a couple years together and are still friends on facebook. 

Dude got absolutely jacked. Then we signed him. He knows I'm a Raider fan so we avoid football talk though. But he's a super cool dude. We actually got yipped at a few times for tossing footballs in the hallway. Anyway, it's actually been a fun watch on his feed seeing him go from out of the league to being on the cusp of playing time again. 

For what its worth i raced Robert Woods in the state championship lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Yeah he should have gotten both of the guys you been ****ting on all of season. 

I'm not a Fields fan but a conditional 6th / $3M cap hit >>> a 2 year commitment to Minshew at $7M/$14M

• Like 1

Hopefully we are waiting for Xavian Howard to pass a physical so we can sign him. He would be ideal for our D having played for Graham before. 

Love the Butler re-signing and like Jenkins coming back although I would still pickup a younger NT in FA if it’s cheap enough.

• Like 1

I like the Minshew signing personally. It doesn’t hamstring the teams cap like Carr or Jimmy G did. He’s got a lot of moxie and grit. Tbh the available QBs this offseason are all different levels of bad and very few have potential for long term success.Wilson is cheap but he’s also cooked and Fields is basically what everyone claims Lamar to be. Both would have been with the team for one season and then you’d have to work out a new contract. I’d hate to end up in a situation like the Giants. The Raiders still have quite a bit of cap space and will have more post June as a result of their moves this offseason. Now I’m not trying to be an AP homer cause I doubt he can replicate the same level of success but I really don’t hate the moves they’ve made so far. 

• Like 2

I think it's fair to be concerned about entering the season with Minshew and AOC as our only QB options. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it looks fairly likely that this might be the case - possibly in addition to a rookie QB who won't be ready to start day 1.

BUT, let's not pretend either Wilson or Fields would be much of an upgrade at this point. Russell Wilson is finished as a legitimate QB; he can't throw over the middle, his athleticism seems to have fallen off a cliff and he's a diva who I can't see meshing well with our HC. His only benefit is the contract situation. Likewise Fields; he's an athlete with a cannon arm who can't read a defense, and is coming off a sketchy season with the guy who is now our OC. 

We're not going to contend any time soon with Minshew, but whining about missing out on these two guys who ended up on the Steelers ain't it.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I think it's fair to be concerned about entering the season with Minshew and AOC as our only QB options. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it looks fairly likely that this might be the case - possibly in addition to a rookie QB who won't be ready to start day 1.

BUT, let's not pretend either Wilson or Fields would be much of an upgrade at this point. Russell Wilson is finished as a legitimate QB; he can't throw over the middle, his athleticism seems to have fallen off a cliff and he's a diva who I can't see meshing well with our HC. His only benefit is the contract situation. Likewise Fields; he's an athlete with a cannon arm who can't read a defense, and is coming off a sketchy season with the guy who is now our OC. 

We're not going to contend any time soon with Minshew, but whining about missing out on these two guys who ended up on the Steelers ain't it.

Fields has more upside than Minshew, was half the cost cap wise, and only required a one year commitment. 

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

I like the Minshew signing personally. It doesn’t hamstring the teams cap like Carr or Jimmy G did. He’s got a lot of moxie and grit. Tbh the available QBs this offseason are all different levels of bad and very few have potential for long term success.Wilson is cheap but he’s also cooked and Fields is basically what everyone claims Lamar to be. Both would have been with the team for one season and then you’d have to work out a new contract. I’d hate to end up in a situation like the Giants. The Raiders still have quite a bit of cap space and will have more post June as a result of their moves this offseason. Now I’m not trying to be an AP homer cause I doubt he can replicate the same level of success but I really don’t hate the moves they’ve made so far. 

Agreed Minshew gives us the vet experience to backup AOC and/or a rookie. Fields going so cheaply tells you what the league thinks of his upside. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Agreed Minshew gives us the vet experience to backup AOC and/or a rookie. Fields going so cheaply tells you what the league thinks of his upside. 

Fields hasn't been good but the talent is evident. We've seen a number of former first round picks find success after a change of scenery including Ryan Tannehill, Geno Smith, and Baker Mayfield. And all it would've cost was a conditional 6th round pick and $3M in cap space. Minshew is a two year commitment and has literally zero upside. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Fields hasn't been good but the talent is evident. We've seen a number of former first round picks find success after a change of scenery including Ryan Tannehill, Geno Smith, and Baker Mayfield. And all it would've cost was a conditional 6th round pick and $3M in cap space. Minshew is a two year commitment and has literally zero upside. 

AOC has talent, we needed a vet that can come in and play. His former OC obviously didn’t recommend him and other QB needy teams didn’t fancy parting with a 6th either.  

• Like 1

Just now, Dessie said:

AOC has talent, we needed a vet that can come in and play. His former OC obviously didn’t recommend him and other QB needy teams didn’t fancy parting with a 6th either.  

AOC has an average arm and below average athleticism, he basically has 0 upside as well. We had conversations with the Bears about acquiring him right before we signed Minshew, it sounds like they were asking for too much and we didn't want to risk missing on Minshew. 

Ryan Tannehill was traded for a 6th round pick and Baker Mayfield was traded for a conditional 5th round pick, then got cut midseason, and then wasn't resigned by the Rams. Both guys obviously had talent though as former first round picks, landed in the right spot, and turned their careers around. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

AOC has an average arm and below average athleticism, he basically has 0 upside as well. We had conversations with the Bears about acquiring him right before we signed Minshew, it sounds like they were asking for too much and we didn't want to risk missing on Minshew. 

Ryan Tannehill was traded for a 6th round pick and Baker Mayfield was traded for a conditional 5th round pick, then got cut midseason, and then wasn't resigned by the Rams. Both guys obviously had talent though as former first round picks, landed in the right spot, and turned their careers around. 

AOC improved as the season went on, he only 24 yo so definitely has upside. We obviously didn’t want to go in with questions marks over both QBs, so went for an experienced QB. I understand that reasoning. It’s a fact that Fields went so cheaply because nobody rated him higher than a 6th round pick. 

Just now, Dessie said:

AOC improved as the season went on, he only 24 yo so definitely has upside. We obviously didn’t want to go in with questions marks over both QBs, so went for an experienced QB. I understand that reasoning. It’s a fact that Fields went so cheaply because nobody rated him higher than a 6th round pick. 

AOC will be 26 years old at the start of next season and was one of the worst passers in the league last year. AOC and Minshew basically produced at the same level last year, a bottom tier type of QB. Why not chase upside with Fields? Either he turns it around or he crashes and burns in which case you can roll with AOC or be in position to land a franchise QB next year. Instead we're doing the typical Raider way, which is the commitment to mediocrity. Not bad enough to land a franchise guy and not good enough to actually compete. 

As I just said Baker and Tannehill were traded for similar hauls, both balled out with new teams. Minshew has basically played on a minimum deal his entire career and was always viewed as a backup, we're the first team to actually pay him and view him as the starter.