2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Josh Jackson looks miserable in the drills? Zone cover man specific. Not that it's a major issue...I think a lot of people felt that way before the combine. 

This is why I've been on the Oliver/Ward train over Jackson's.

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

I definitely like Ward more...Oliver has slowly and steadily been growing on me more and more. 

Did they say why Ward didn't run the drills? I've thought all along he was head and shoulders better than the other CBs this year. He's almost impossible to shake and has amazing recovery speed if he does get beat.  Completion percentage against him is really low.  Even though I didn't see him run the drills today the thing that might have locked him for me was the comparison to Deion.  He's virtually the same size Deion was ... and unlike Deion who never liked to get involved in a tackle if he could avoid it, Ward is a really solid tackler and a really hard hitter for his size. We need a LB and a CB, but I think CB is more important to our D.  So it's Ward for me, unless I become convinced that Edmunds can become a stud pass rusher.

5 minutes ago, John232 said:

Would anyone have an issue taking Griffin in the late 4th on? 

I mean, he sort of fits a pretty big need for us. Played well and obviously..the combine was great...

Nope, I have no issues with it whatsoever. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nope, I have no issues with it whatsoever. 

I'm still a bit leery in early fourth, but I really wouldn't mind us taking him in the fourth since we're at the back of the round. Obviously depends on what else happened, but dude has lit it up every chance he's had. 

There's also something to be said about someone coming through as much adversity as he has and coming out of it like he has. 

5 minutes ago, John232 said:

I'm still a bit leery in early fourth, but I really wouldn't mind us taking him in the fourth since we're at the back of the round. Obviously depends on what else happened, but dude has lit it up every chance he's had. 

There's also something to be said about someone coming through as much adversity as he has and coming out of it like he has. 

If he's that good...how much does the hand affect him is what I'm wondering about. Remember when Willis fractured a hand and was just playing in a cast? I mean, he was perfectly fine. Sure, there may be some interception issues, but other than that, how much of an issue is it really? I'm having a little trouble reconciling that, but overall, I don't know if the lack of a hand is as huge of an issue...is it still an issue? Certainly...but how much is what I'm trying to figure out in my head. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

If he's that good...how much does the hand affect him is what I'm wondering about. Remember when Willis fractured a hand and was just playing in a cast? I mean, he was perfectly fine. Sure, there may be some interception issues, but other than that, how much of an issue is it really? I'm having a little trouble reconciling that, but overall, I don't know if the lack of a hand is as huge of an issue...is it still an issue? Certainly...but how much is what I'm trying to figure out in my head. 

This is the same exact conclusion I came too. Not just the Patrick Willis...but just looking at how well he's played...

Physically speaking, yes, the NFL is a step up. But where the NFL is really a change in pace is in it's complexity and speed. And I don't see the hand being an issue on the latter at all. 

Even if the hand was an issue from a physical standpoint,  it certainly hasn't impeded his play up to this point. I don't know why that would suddenly change at the next level. Maybe become more of an issue? Sure, but the guy isn't going to suddenly get slower, weaker or forget how to read an diagnose a play. And furthermore, using your hands when tackling is not even really good form. You want to be punching the sky and using your shoulder, if you're at an angle, you're likely trying to take an angle and square up. If he was a 1 tech DT where he's literally blocking for other players, I might have more concern because you'd need to be able to control a guards chest by the inside of the pads and basically hold...but he obviously doesn't do that. He's going to be trying to dip, or slide or go through blockers. 

Another positive is he's half as likely to be called for defensive holding. So that's a good thing. 

Archived