2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

For the metrics guys, here's the SPARQ's link for 2018...

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/safety/

Never thought Leighton Vander Esch would be in the discussion for athleticism compared to his peers.

The Urlacher comps sounded ridiculous prior to the combines but the relative athletic score says different.  bu.jpg

Mike Gesicki should be a Seahawk given their high propensity to utilize this metric. Can see them taking a flyer on Troy Apke late (or PS) just for ST. Where the hell did that come from.

Josh Sweat - Aaron Lynch clone IMO. Everything there but effort. Still hard to ignore the raw potential later.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Confirmed combine meetings. One position certainly stands out

I'm hesitant on Davenport, but I'm starting to favor Landry more and more. I wonder if we could trade back with someone like Buffalo and get Landry and maybe Jones, Hernandez, or Daniels?

I like Troy Apke...I thought it was hilarious what Deion Sanders claimed he could not say on TV when he was surprised at Apke's 40 times. xD

Hmmmm...there is a common focus in those interviews, Forge: 4 of the 9 are pass rushers. Only one of them any good and likely to be gone before we pick, IMO.

14 hours ago, Forge said:

Guy we haven't talked about in a while in Cobbs. Honestly, I think we can probably get him in round 5, now. His combine was not ideal. I still like what he brings to the table if for nothing else a niche role. 

Een our 4th would be OK since it's a relatively low 4th. I still want at least one big-bodied WR. With tlaent of course. Doesn't have to even be a stud just a piece that we're missing in our offense.,

13 hours ago, Psychlone said:

For the metrics guys, here's the SPARQ's link for 2018...

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/safety/

Never thought Leighton Vander Esch would be in the discussion for athleticism compared to his peers.

The Urlacher comps sounded ridiculous prior to the combines but the relative athletic score says different.  bu.jpg

Mike Gesicki should be a Seahawk given their high propensity to utilize this metric. Can see them taking a flyer on Troy Apke late (or PS) just for ST. Where the hell did that come from.

Josh Sweat - Aaron Lynch clone IMO. Everything there but effort. Still hard to ignore the raw potential later.

Hadn't heard much about Vander Esch until somebody here posted a highlight film of him Loved his technique and his avility to play all over the field.  THought he'd might make a good pick with our second. Since then I see him listed higher and higher.  Now a likely first rounder. Had no idea he was that athletic, although his play certainly looked like he was pretty athletic.

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Confirmed combine meetings. One position certainly stands out

Badky in need of pass rushers.  Interior o-line and RB obviously a need too. The only surprising thing is no mention of CB interviews.  IMO that's the weakest position group on the teamn.

11 hours ago, StevenK said:

I'm hesitant on Davenport, but I'm starting to favor Landry more and more. I wonder if we could trade back with someone like Buffalo and get Landry and maybe Jones, Hernandez, or Daniels?

There are lots and lots of pairs of guys I'd love to have at 21/22.  It's just not going to happen though.

24 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

There are lots and lots of pairs of guys I'd love to have at 21/22.  It's just not going to happen though.

Every team in the top 20's fan base probably have their version of a trade for the Bills picks. There's a lot of competition, so yeah, seems unlikely to happen.

Looking at Edmunds combine numbers it's easy to understand why some draftniks want to try him at LEO. He's got prototypical size, speed, and length for an edge rusher. I'm curious to see what his 3 cone time is.  His proday in on the 14th so we won't have to wait long to find out.

1 hour ago, Geek said:

Looking at Edmunds combine numbers it's easy to understand why some draftniks want to try him at LEO. He's got prototypical size, speed, and length for an edge rusher. I'm curious to see what his 3 cone time is.  His proday in on the 14th so we won't have to wait long to find out.

I pondered him at Leo as well. He's a project to some degree no matter where you put him to be honest. But he could still work very well in the SAM role. Can blitz, can cover. If he can be competent in coverage, lock in 8 sacks from the SAM spot similar to what Bruce Irvin used to do for Seattle (but again, better in coverage), then I think that's a great pick and I'm pretty happy. He could also stay on the field all three downs 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I pondered him at Leo as well. He's a project to some degree no matter where you put him to be honest. But he could still work very well in the SAM role. Can blitz, can cover. If he can be competent in coverage, lock in 8 sacks from the SAM spot similar to what Bruce Irvin used to do for Seattle (but again, better in coverage), then I think that's a great pick and I'm pretty happy. He could also stay on the field all three downs 

So basically what you are saying is that he has the athletic ability of Ahmad Brooks? That guy was an absolute freak of nature, he could have played any linebacker position in both the 3-4 and 4-3. It's a shame he didn't have any heart and started to mail it in after he got paid, because he truly was a special athlete with unlimited potential. 

Funny how being so talented means that you can get away with bad habits or cutting corners when you are young, so you don't actually end up as successful as other people who have half of your natural ability but who work hard. 

Sign me up for either of those two linebackers. Defense with our first two picks and then RB, TE, OL with our next three (in that order). 

(It's weird seeing an active thread with 100+ pages, those used to get locked)

4 hours ago, Forge said:

And he's only 19. That's a great bonus. I wonder if he could cover Gronkowski. 

Archived