2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

Been looking for a mid/lower round CB we could target.  Thinking that we might be committed to, or at least prefer, bigger guys I found Holton Hill.  Fits the mold size wise ran fast at the combine but I didn't look at any of his drills.  But heck I'm looking at something lower than the third round so he looks like a nice prospect to me.

6 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Been looking for a mid/lower round CB we could target.  Thinking that we might be committed to, or at least prefer, bigger guys I found Holton Hill.  Fits the mold size wise ran fast at the combine but I didn't look at any of his drills.  But heck I'm looking at something lower than the third round so he looks like a nice prospect to me.

iirc he has some character concerns so he might not be considered a viable option. 

9 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Quenton Meeks, Brandon Facyson, Kevin Toliver, and Rashaan Gaulden are some alternatives (all with their own flaws that would push them back). I think that a player that would have a first 2 round grade and fits our system will drop, however. It is a very deep class for long corners. Snapping up a...Carlton Davisish guy would be awesome.  If we are hunting post round 4, even a +4.6 time isn't too scary for me. Hunting in the 3rd-4th is hunting for a Byron Maxwellish dude that can be tall, defend fades, and set the edge well on run plays rather than the 6'1"+ guy that also is also pretty good in the timed speed and really fluid like Sherman was. Spoon fits that profile for us long term. As long as he isn't stupidly stiff and otherwise profoundly bad like Dontae Johnson, it should be fine. It is a cliche among fans right now, but Meeks really does check a lot of boxes. He is bright, physical, and yes, a bit stiff and slow. But not Johnson levels of stiff and slow. And the bright part helps. 

There's one draft pundit, Jon Ledyard, who has a knack for picking out really good DB's. He was calling Eddie Jackson being a beast before anyone knew his name. Also called Tre White being one of the best Rookies in the draft, and also thought Akhello would turn it out really well.  Been listening to him for a year and a half and hasn't had many misses iirc. 

He absolutely LOVES Meeks. Thinks he's going to be a steal. 

26 minutes ago, John232 said:

There's one draft pundit, Jon Ledyard, who has a knack for picking out really good DB's. He was calling Eddie Jackson being a beast before anyone knew his name. Also called Tre White being one of the best Rookies in the draft, and also thought Akhello would turn it out really well.  Been listening to him for a year and a half and hasn't had many misses iirc. 

He does check all the boxes (for a mid rounder), plus he's got that Stanford connection going for him.

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

Michael Joseph - Dubuque...Andre Chachere - San Jose State. Both are late day 3 guys.

52 minutes ago, John232 said:

Meeks is on my list of CB I'd be happy with along with Oliver and Yiadom. 

5 minutes ago, sherm said:

Michael Joseph - Dubuque...Andre Chachere - San Jose State. Both are late day 3 guys.

I like Joseph, he was a guy that I wanted people to check out during the senior bowl. 

Thoughts on the running backs this year? I have heard it’s a deep class, but is there anyone that really stands out that we can get (excluding Barkley). I like what I saw from Rashaad Penny. Are there any other ones that we may take a close look at especially if we don’t land Dion Lewis in FA. 

4 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Thoughts on the running backs this year? I have heard it’s a deep class, but is there anyone that really stands out that we can get (excluding Barkley). I like what I saw from Rashaad Penny. Are there any other ones that we may take a close look at especially if we don’t land Dion Lewis in FA. 

Penny is a favorite of a lot of people. Barkley is obviously the holy grail in this class. 

I"m not a big fan of Chubb, but others are. I think you can get a very comparable back in Scarborough 2 -3 rounds later. I like Chase Edmunds in the later rounds if he stops trying to bounce everything out to the outside. I like Mark Walton as a change of pace back even though his combine was miserable (I'm going to assume that a chunk of that was related to still healing from his ankle injury). I don't care for Royce Freeman, like Sony Michel. Love Ito Smith as a late round change of pace committee back. Hines is going to get some love in the later rounds, and I could be into that. 

Archived