2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

3 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Thoughts on the running backs this year? I have heard it’s a deep class, but is there anyone that really stands out that we can get (excluding Barkley). I like what I saw from Rashaad Penny. Are there any other ones that we may take a close look at especially if we don’t land Dion Lewis in FA. 

Really impressed with it. 

Barkley and Guice are true 1st rd talents, with Ron Jones being a late 1st/early 2nd guy, imho. 

Beyond that, there are a few other strong 2nd rd guys available, and a few legit 3rd rd guys behind that. 

Good draft for those in eager for a young RB.  :) 

4 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Thoughts on the running backs this year? I have heard it’s a deep class, but is there anyone that really stands out that we can get (excluding Barkley). I like what I saw from Rashaad Penny. Are there any other ones that we may take a close look at especially if we don’t land Dion Lewis in FA. 

Love Penny. Always kind of liked Royce Freeman as well. 

I think Sherman definitely eliminates Ward as a candidate for our pick. I didn't think Nelson  would last and the Richburg signing might have killed off that possibility as well. So I'm thinking either Landry or Davenport, or Edmunds or Smith (did I hear he has some kind of injury concern?), or as a long shot Sutton if Shanny thinks he can be as good as Julio.

Oh, I should add Fitzpatrick and James because I think they could be too good to pass on if they're there. Liking a minor trade back more than ever at this point.

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

I think Sherman definitely eliminates Ward as a candidate for our pick. I didn't think Nelson  would last and the Richburg signing might have killed off that possibility as well. So I'm thinking either Landry or Davenport, or Edmunds or Smith (did I hear he has some kind of injury concern?), or as a long shot Sutton if Shanny thinks he can be as good as Julio.

Oh, I should add Fitzpatrick and James because I think they could be too good to pass on if they're there. Liking a minor trade back more than ever at this point.

Roquan was apparently red flagged by some teams at the combine because of previous injuries per Tony Pauline. 

7 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I have been suppressing my hunch for weeks now that Davenport is to be the choice.

Not that I think he's trash.. but just not a top 20 guy, imo. Even Landry's iffy for me as top 10. 

Oh, I would much rather Landry than Davenport. Not that either one would be my preference. Landry is a one-trick pony and Davenport's mouth is bigger than the competition he played against.

Nelson is the ideal for me followed by Edmunds or even Ward/Jackson! The pass rushers are very lackluster this year.

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

Roquan was apparently red flagged by some teams at the combine because of previous injuries per Tony Pauline. 

Hmm.  Any idea what kind of injuries?  I mean he played in 28 games the past two years.  So if he's been injured it hasn't been keeping him out of games.

4 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Hmm.  Any idea what kind of injuries?  I mean he played in 28 games the past two years.  So if he's been injured it hasn't been keeping him out of games.

No idea. We were talking about it because it was pretty shocking and has gotten no play anywhere else. My guess is that it was probably one or two teams who flagged him as a precaution, or it's a complete smoke screen. Lorenzo Carter was also red flagged for some reason. I'm not putting too much into it right now. 

55 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I have been suppressing my hunch for weeks now that Davenport is to be the choice.

Not that I think he's trash.. but just not a top 20 guy, imo. Even Landry's iffy for me as top 10. 

Yep. Terrible year to be wanting a pass rusher. Both those guys certainly have the potential to be great pass rushers, but they could also be just Eli Harold clones. The thing is that edge rusher is second only to QB in positional value and teams do take more risk in trying to land one. I kind of am beginning to like Edmunds thinking that if he "only" makes it as a LB that would be OK since we need one, but that he has the physical skills to become a good pass rusher. That "extrac chance" to be more than just a Foster type of LB makes him interesting to me as a candidate.

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

Yep. Terrible year to be wanting a pass rusher. Both those guys certainly have the potential to be great pass rushers, but they could also be just Eli Harold clones. The thing is that edge rusher is second only to QB in positional value and teams do take more risk in trying to land one. I kind of am beginning to like Edmunds thinking that if he "only" makes it as a LB that would be OK since we need one, but that he has the physical skills to become a good pass rusher. That "extrac chance" to be more than just a Foster type of LB makes him interesting to me as a candidate.

Yeah, Edmunds certainly looks to have the skills that could potentially be applied to multiple spots in this defense. There can be some time available to try him at LEO, MIKE, and SAM. Physical talent and versatility is all there. Just got to get the intangibles up to snuff. 

Just now, oldman9er said:

Yeah, Edmunds certainly looks to have the skills that could potentially be applied to multiple spots in this defense. There can be some time available to try him at LEO, MIKE, and SAM. Physical talent and versatility is all there. Just got to get the intangibles up to snuff. 

I'm wondering if his best fit (initially) is a Bruce Irvin style SAM? If you can get 5-8 sacks out of your SAM, and then find an edge rusher who can muster up 7-9 sacks, along with Buckner in the middle, maybe that's a competent pass rush? 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm wondering if his best fit (initially) is a Bruce Irvin style SAM? If you can get 5-8 sacks out of your SAM, and then find an edge rusher who can muster up 7-9 sacks, along with Buckner in the middle, maybe that's a competent pass rush? 

Sounds good to me... though the SAM may require more polish versus LEO. 

8 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Sounds good to me... though the SAM may require more polish versus LEO. 

THe film breakdown someone posted of him showed a lack of recognition and quick reaction. Assuming he can be coached up to eliminate that problem it's likely to take a good year or two to correct bad hab its and learn new, better ones.  But in pass rushing situation it's pretty easy just to line him up outside the tackle and tell him to go get the QB

3 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

THe film breakdown someone posted of him showed a lack of recognition and quick reaction. Assuming he can be coached up to eliminate that problem it's likely to take a good year or two to correct bad hab its and learn new, better ones.  But in pass rushing situation it's pretty easy just to line him up outside the tackle and tell him to go get the QB

Right. Exactly what I was implying. :) 

Archived