2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lock us in. We all know we can't say no to an Iowa product. 

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 1-2

SOURCES TELL US

"The Iowa guys are always going to be quick and proficient, but you have to see them tested against power because they are usually going to be a little smaller, too. This guy has decent size and I think he's got pretty good functional power. He would come in and challenge for best center in our division right away." -- NFC team college scouting director

NFL COMPARISON

Chris Chester

BOTTOM LINE

Daniels is a fluid mover with tremendous initial quickness to win positioning on most every zone block he's asked to make -- both on the first and second levels. His height, weight and arm length numbers at the Combine will be critical in either solidifying his draft slot or potentially dropping him a round. Some teams might see him as a zone-only center, but he may be strong enough to fit in with other blocking schemes. He needs to get stronger, but he's a plus run blocker and pass protector with a chance to become a Pro Bowl starter.

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 1-2

SOURCES TELL US

"The Iowa guys are always going to be quick and proficient, but you have to see them tested against power because they are usually going to be a little smaller, too. This guy has decent size and I think he's got pretty good functional power. He would come in and challenge for best center in our division right away." -- NFC team college scouting director

NFL COMPARISON

Chris Chester

BOTTOM LINE

Daniels is a fluid mover with tremendous initial quickness to win positioning on most every zone block he's asked to make -- both on the first and second levels. His height, weight and arm length numbers at the Combine will be critical in either solidifying his draft slot or potentially dropping him a round. Some teams might see him as a zone-only center, but he may be strong enough to fit in with other blocking schemes. He needs to get stronger, but he's a plus run blocker and pass protector with a chance to become a Pro Bowl starter.

Yeah, I do think that he falls into that no man's land for us. I don't think you can take him at #9 and I don't think that there'd be any way he's still there at our second pick. So we would be either trading down or trading up to get him. 

Frank Ragnow had a pretty solid pro day, pretty much verified the movement skills that make him a great fit in a ZBS, so if we are still looking for interior help that may make more sense given he could probably still be had in rounds 2/3. 

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

What makes you think you are alone? I like Josh Allen almost as much as I like Baker Mayfield...that is a lot! o.O

Allen is the quarterback that FF loves to hate right now on the whole, particularly in the draft forum. Very similar to the treatment that Kizer got last year. Some people in the draft forum don't even have him in their top 5. I've been banging the Allen drum since the start of last year, so if he goes down, he's taking me with him lol. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Allen is the quarterback that FF loves to hate right now on the whole, particularly in the draft forum. Very similar to the treatment that Kizer got last year. Some people in the draft forum don't even have him in their top 5. I've been banging the Allen drum since the start of last year, so if he goes down, he's taking me with him lol. 

I think the criticism is fair though. You generally don’t see a guy with a completion percentage in the mid 50s come into the NFL and be a 65-70% completion guy. I liked him going into last year as well, but I also brought up that I saw a lot of Kap-esque type plays from him, which scares me. I was really hoping to see some growth this year, but I didn’t really see much. I think his potential is huge and that is why he’ll be taken high, but to me he’s a huge gamble. 

EDIT: just to add to this, I like Allen WAAAAAY more than I liked Kizer coming out.

1 minute ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I think the criticism is fair though. You generally don’t see a guy with a completion percentage in the mid 50s come into the NFL and be a 65-70% completion guy. I liked him going into last year as well, but I also brought up that I saw a lot of Kap-esque type plays from him, which scares me. I was really hoping to see some growth this year, but I didn’t really see much. I think his potential is huge and that is why he’ll be taken high, but to me he’s a huge gamble. 

The top and bottom of what he could be in the NFL is completely crazy. I don't know that I've seen such a disparity in a long time. 

19 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

EDIT: just to add to this, I like Allen WAAAAAY more than I liked Kizer coming out.

I've never seen stats on this, but I've always believed it's true too.

26 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I've never seen stats on this, but I've always believed it's true too.

It's not. It's just rare. 65% is a bit high (usually only about a third of the league hits that mark, last year only 6). I think if you're in that 62-65 range, you're fine. 

Matt Stafford was a 57% in college, 62% in nfl, including last 3 years 65% or above. Tyrod was 57% in college, 62% in the NFL which is certainly workable. Josh McCown was 51% in college, was 67% last year and 60% for his career. Matt Ryan was right around 60% in college with some really bad interception rates, he's 65% in the nfl. Jay Cutler was 57% in college, 62% in the NFL.  Those are just the somewhat recent guys. David Garrard was 57% in college, 61.5% in the NFL (and his era wasn't as easy as this one to bump that up in my opinion, even though it was just about 10 years ago).  Carson Palmer was 59% in college, 62.5% in NFL. Some guys were also hidden by scheme in college - Cam Newton completed 66% of his passes his one year starting - there's no way that someone is going to tell me they think that he's an accurate thrower of the football (58% in NFL). 

If you want a more dated guy, but someone who could potentially comp out to Allen, Brett Favre was 52% in college, 62% in the NFL. Allen has the comparable arm, similar gunslinger mentality. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I really need Josh Allen to become a good NFL quarterback...I'm dying up on that hill alone right now lol. 

That's the guy you's been talking up the last couple of years? Good luck. I have no strong opinion either way on him. 

I can't see beyond the Zach Mettenberger pieces of gore that flew in my face. :$

The main reason I give Allen the benefit of the doubt in his favor is where he went to school. My mother grew up in Wyoming. I drive through Laramie every summer to pick up my son from college (BYU-Idaho). Laramie is one of the largest towns--I cannot get myself to call it a city--in that rural state. It is the lowest populated state in the nation--a total of just over 597,000! The University of Wyoming has to be one of the most talent poor athletics programs in NCAA Division I. Yet, Josh Allen got people to notice the Wyoming Cowboys. Did he rock the College football world? No. But I do think he has a lot of potential that he was unable to tap while part of such a talent poor football squad.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

It's not. It's just rare. 65% is a bit high (usually only about a third of the league hits that mark, last year only 6). I think if you're in that 62-65 range, you're fine. 

Matt Stafford was a 57% in college, 62% in nfl, including last 3 years 65% or above. Tyrod was 57% in college, 62% in the NFL which is certainly workable. Josh McCown was 51% in college, was 67% last year and 60% for his career. Matt Ryan was right around 60% in college with some really bad interception rates, he's 65% in the nfl. Jay Cutler was 57% in college, 62% in the NFL.  Those are just the somewhat recent guys. David Garrard was 57% in college, 61.5% in the NFL (and his era wasn't as easy as this one to bump that up in my opinion, even though it was just about 10 years ago).  Carson Palmer was 59% in college, 62.5% in NFL. Some guys were also hidden by scheme in college - Cam Newton completed 66% of his passes his one year starting - there's no way that someone is going to tell me they think that he's an accurate thrower of the football (58% in NFL). 

If you want a more dated guy, but someone who could potentially comp out to Allen, Brett Favre was 52% in college, 62% in the NFL. Allen has the comparable arm, similar gunslinger mentality. 

The one that stands out to me which I don’t think I’ll ever forget is Jake Locker. Everyone wanted to give Locker a pass due to his surrounding cast (myself included). Now that is just one guy, and as @Forge pointed out, there are guys that have improved in the NFL. I’d be willing to bet that the number of 50% passers in college that stay in that range in the NFL than the amount of guys that improve. Like I said, I like Josh Allen, but I’d be lying if I said he didn’t scare the hell out of me especially in the top 10 of the draft. Seems like a guy that can get a coach/gm fired.... or make them look really good.

Archived