Latham, Fuaga and Mims

rlon

leaning towards a RT in round 1 and as the position that can have the most immediate and strongest impact in improving this team. Which one do you want, but also who most realistically goes to the Steelers in round 1? 

I guess I want Latham, but Fuaga is more realistic and perhaps even a better fit..

Tackle would be the position I target on offense, because it gives us an ability to actually run an offense. The other positions would be more like wants, outside of an IOL in the middle of the draft. You could look at slot if there's someone worth the value at a given juncture. Other than that, they should be focusing on improving the defense. That's where the draft is in the middle rounds, and that's how you operate.

Fuaga is a swing tackle by definition. He's got guard size and tackle mobility. Sure, that means he can play right tackle, but by no means, is he a Broderick Jones.

RT is not as valuable as CB or ILB and it is pretty deep in this draft.  If a OT were the BPA there then yes.  Otherwise, you could wait and get a decent one later.  Jones MUST move to LT.  Get a roadgrader RT.  Latham fits that bill. Jordan Morgan(Arz), Fuaga, Anthony Beltonga(NC St), perhaps K.T. Leveston(Kansas St), Matt Goncalves(Pitt), Kelvin Banks(Texas), Christian Jones(Texas), Dominick Puni(Kansas), Garrett Greenfield(SD St), and Kiran Amegadjie(Yale)  are just some that fit the bill.  Very deep class.

I am ignoring swing tackles in this list.

Edited by jebrick

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

RT is not as valuable as CB or ILB and it is pretty deep in this draft.  If a OT were the BPA there then yes.  Otherwise, you could wait and get a decent one later.  Jones MUST move to LT.  Get a roadgrader RT.  Latham fits that bill. Jordan Morgan(Arz), Fuaga, Anthony Beltonga(NC St), perhaps K.T. Leveston(Kansas St), Matt Goncalves(Pitt), Kelvin Banks(Texas), Christian Jones(Texas), Dominick Puni(Kansas), Garrett Greenfield(SD St), and Kiran Amegadjie(Yale)  are just some that fit the bill.  Very deep class.

I am ignoring swing tackles in this list.

Schematically, they seem to be pretty weak at the ILB position. You can basically throw over the middle any time you want. Maybe that means safety is more of a priority. Someone that can guard tight end. Like a strong safety. Someone that can handle slot. And then someone to play center field that can cover some ground. Fitzpatrick is the best slot once he gets over this prima donna thing he got going on.

Looks like two safeties to me 🤷

36 minutes ago, zflairway said:

Fitzpatrick is the best slot once he gets over this prima donna thing he got going on.

What are you talking about? When has Minkah been a prima donna, other than his rookie year in Miami? He’s been a consummate pro here. Also, don’t pretend like he’s some kind of glorified slot guy. Minkah is one of the best all around safeties in the game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zflairway said:

Schematically, they seem to be pretty weak at the ILB position. You can basically throw over the middle any time you want. Maybe that means safety is more of a priority. Someone that can guard tight end. Like a strong safety. Someone that can handle slot. And then someone to play center field that can cover some ground. Fitzpatrick is the best slot once he gets over this prima donna thing he got going on.

Looks like two safeties to me 🤷

If they are going to draft an ILB they should do it early.  I think there are about 5 decent ILB prospects in this draft.  The one i really liked, Barrett Carter, went back to school.

I would say Edgerrin Cooper (Texas Tech), Chris Braswell (Bama), Tommy Eichenberg(tOSU) and Smael Mondon Jr(Georgia) are about it for now.  I am looking at LBs with some speed that can cover.  I do not think they need another MACK type.  I will do some more research but I would not take any of them in the 1st round

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

If they are going to draft an ILB they should do it early.  I think there are about 5 decent ILB prospects in this draft.  The one i really liked, Barrett Carter, went back to school.

I would say Edgerrin Cooper (Texas Tech), Chris Braswell (Bama), Tommy Eichenberg(tOSU) and Smael Mondon Jr(Georgia) are about it for now.  I am looking at LBs with some speed that can cover.  I do not think they need another MACK type.  I will do some more research but I would not take any of them in the 1st round

Then don’t take an ILB.  This feels like the classic force a pick trap.

16 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Then don’t take an ILB.  This feels like the classic force a pick trap.

Agree with this and that’s why you draft a high upside faller in the mid to latter rounds…someone athletic!

2 minutes ago, rlon said:

Agree with this and that’s why you draft a high upside faller in the mid to latter rounds…someone athletic!

I'm actually looking at the run stuffing thumper types in this draft because there's a few of them.  Holcomb just needs to get healthy, get him his Vince Williams so to speak.

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I'm actually looking at the run stuffing thumper types in this draft because there's a few of them.  Holcomb just needs to get healthy, get him his Vince Williams so to speak.

Robinson looked good yesterday, Roberts is a thumper. Kwon and Holcomb can do both but I think you really need an ultra athletic type to develop. However, I my eye on a certain large Miami SS with freak like speed for his size, maybe that would work.

2 minutes ago, rlon said:

Robinson looked good yesterday, Roberts is a thumper. Kwon and Holcomb can do both but I think you really need an ultra athletic type to develop. However, I my eye on a certain large Miami SS with freak like speed for his size, maybe that would work.

I'm not hanging on 2 good games in 2 years for Robinson.  Roberts has 1 more year left.  I think we really overrate ultra athletic LB's as those guys are super rare.  As far as SS's to look at to try to develop into an ILB, I got others than Cam Kitchens I would look at who would be around in the 4th-6th rounds.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I'm not hanging on 2 good games in 2 years for Robinson.  Roberts has 1 more year left.  I think we really overrate ultra athletic LB's as those guys are super rare.  As far as SS's to look at to try to develop into an ILB, I got others than Cam Kitchens I would look at who would be around in the 4th-6th rounds.

I wasn’t talking about kitchens….lol…I’m talking about his 225 lb 4.5 forty counterpart. Maybe Mark Robinson can just play against the Ravens, no one else…lol.

1 minute ago, rlon said:

I wasn’t talking about kitchens….lol…I’m talking about his 225 lb 4.5 forty counterpart. Maybe Mark Robinson can just play against the Ravens, no one else…lol.

I've seen his tape....pass.

Its because the Ravens are a run team and his ability in a width run game is to see ball carrier, hit ball carrier.  I know that he hasn't been playing ILB all that long but he lacks feel for where he is on the field.  Marist Liufau is one I would look at who's already a ILB in the 4-5.  Jaden Hickes strikes me as more of an NFL dime backer.  Jalon Carlies would be the other one that I target for this.  He's gonna test tight as S, but very fluid for a LB.

I don't think we get a shot at any of the 3. Mims has the highest ceiling but has a lot of time spent injured and the least amount of snaps played. He also has a few more penalties than I like for his snap counts.

Latham is another monster body and very good athlete for his size but has some amazing plays and some horrible plays. Very experienced and has room to grow but he will be drafted early on potential like Mims, but like I said his bad plays blow up the offense. Look at bamas last play of the game last weekend for reference. 

Fuaga is my favorite of the 3. He is this years skoronski in that he can play guard but he has better length and will be just fine as a tackle. He plays mean and nasty and even though he is not as good an athlete as the other 2 he plays much stronger and I haven't seen a better run blocker this year except maybe Alt. Fuaga had a few penalties himself but they were not a ton of holds and false starts trying to get back in pass pro. Half of his were firing off the line too fast. Again I love his aggressive style similar to jones and they could quickly become a top tackle tandem. I think he goes top 16ish once the evaluation process gets done so before we draft. He would be worth a trade up if he fell within range similar to jones last year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Big Snack said:

I don't think we get a shot at any of the 3. Mims has the highest ceiling but has a lot of time spent injured and the least amount of snaps played. He also has a few more penalties than I like for his snap counts.

Latham is another monster body and very good athlete for his size but has some amazing plays and some horrible plays. Very experienced and has room to grow but he will be drafted early on potential like Mims, but like I said his bad plays blow up the offense. Look at bamas last play of the game last weekend for reference. 

Fuaga is my favorite of the 3. He is this years skoronski in that he can play guard but he has better length and will be just fine as a tackle. He plays mean and nasty and even though he is not as good an athlete as the other 2 he plays much stronger and I haven't seen a better run blocker this year except maybe Alt. Fuaga had a few penalties himself but they were not a ton of holds and false starts trying to get back in pass pro. Half of his were firing off the line too fast. Again I love his aggressive style similar to jones and they could quickly become a top tackle tandem. I think he goes top 16ish once the evaluation process gets done so before we draft. He would be worth a trade up if he fell within range similar to jones last year.

Mostly agree. I do each of them would be good picks, but Latham and Fuaga are more RT type run maulers. Maybe less risk.
Depends what the FO believes is the right mix and scheme, moving forward.