Jordan Love future projection

Mdpackfan22

On 1/7/2024 at 10:14 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm genuinely curious when we're going to see another NFL team attempt the strategy that the Packers have apparently executed twice- draft a talented prospect who needs work behind an aging star QB, then sit him for however long it takes.  Like the last three times this has happened it was Rodgers behind Favre, Mahomes behind Alex Smith, and Love behind Rodgers.  You'd think more teams would try this!  Like Stafford is 35, maybe it's time for the Rams to try it in a couple of seasons.

It requires a bit of a unique scenario, to be fair. For one, you need an aging star (or at least good) QB in the first place. Most teams are struggling to find their first good QB, let alone their second. You need the luxury of job security, as a head coach and GM. You don't draft Patrick Mahomes when you already have Alex Smith if you think there's any possibility you'll get fired before he's developed, and not many coaches have that kind of security. If there's any concern you may lose your job if the team dips, or if playoff results are poor, you can't really afford to make that pick because you're deliberately taking someone who isn't going to impact the team now. It didn't do Mike Vrabel a hell of a lot of good to draft Will Levis to sit behind Tannehill if they're going to fire him for a subpar season anyway. Jordan Love sat for 3 years. That's how long a decent amount of new coach/GM duos get before they're fired if they aren't producing.

I think it's also very easy as any part of the team to get caught up in the idea of being very close. It probably would've done the Vikings some good to prep for life after Cousins by now. The Raiders should've had a better plan for moving on from Carr. The time for the Jets to think about what happens when Rodgers retires is probably already now. But when you're around that old QB all the time, you probably really like them. And when you're going 10-7 or so it's easy to think hey, he can do it, we just need to add that extra piece or two and we're there, and then that deters you from investing in a new QB because you're thinking of what else that pick can do to improve the team. That's part of the divide that led to Pete Carroll getting removed, he thought they were close, others didn't. And it's not even wrong to think that, necessarily. While Love looks great, maybe the Packers have a different stretch to end Rodgers's career with Patrick Queen or Tee Higgins or Antoine Winfield Jr. No way to know.

I think in an ideal world, head coaches would be given a little more patience in a situation like this. But the reality is, 2 bad years is all it takes for even proven head coaches to get fired, so doing this is a risky job security move even if the young QB winds up panning out.

• Like 1

He's much better than I anticipated. MUCH better. I can own that he's cleaned up a lot of the flaws I saw early on and further refined his arm talent by developing some incredible anticipation - he understands not only where the WR is going, but how coverage is working around said WR and alters his release to make up for that. That's a talent you either have or you don't have, and Love has it (once you correct some of his flaws, which he did). 

I can see him in that top 1-7 conversation pretty much yearly, and a definitive competitor in the NFC going forward. I doubt he'll be sitting in the 7 seed in future years.

• Like 1