Commanders hire Adam Peters to be new GM (5 year deal)

Good quote from an interview of Leslie Frazier back in September about McDonald

One last nugget: Frazier said when the pair worked together in Baltimore, Macdonald was in charge of suggesting pressures for the team to use on third downs, one of the hallmarks of the chaotic Ravens defense. Through that process, Macdonald exhibited a great knowledge of “offensive intent,” meaning that, despite his defensive background, he was well versed in what was happening on the other side of the ball.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That seven points in the second half isn’t pretty.  If it wasn’t such a drastic swing, I’d give it to you, but it was a tale of two halves and I was dumbstruck by how far away they got from things in the first half.  

Again, not saying I don’t want Johnson.  But with the whole body of work from McDonald this season against great offenses and great QBs, he’s my guy.  But it’s not like a Rivera situation where we hire Johnson and I’m going to say I told you so.  Far from it.  

I mean his players had like 4 drops and a fumble within their own 30 in the second half. That had nothing to do with the playcalling.

• Like 2

As for a potential OC for McDonald, I’ve got some: 

Kevin Pautollo, Passing Game Coordinator Eagles- huge in the development of Jalen Hurts 

Jake Peetz, Passing Game Coordinator Rams- someone from the McVay family who is now getting interview requests from teams who just hired head coaches 

Tanner Engstrand, Passing Game Coordinator Lions- probably going to get a lot of background on him by interviewing Johnson and Glenn, why not take someone from the Lions if you go McDonald? 

Ben McDaniels, WR Coach and PGC Texans- Josh’s little brother, has had a couple different NFL stints but played a huge role in the Texans turning things around this year and survived some awful head coaches.  

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Ya if you read the tea leaves its going to be Johnson. He has been the hot coaching name for the second year in a row here and all of the teams that had HC openings moved on and hired someone else before they even got an answer from Johnson. Its obvious he's already told the other teams he's taking the Washington job. 

22 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That seven points in the second half isn’t pretty.  If it wasn’t such a drastic swing, I’d give it to you, but it was a tale of two halves and I was dumbstruck by how far away they got from things in the first half.  

Again, not saying I don’t want Johnson.  But with the whole body of work from McDonald this season against great offenses and great QBs, he’s my guy.  But it’s not like a Rivera situation where we hire Johnson and I’m going to say I told you so.  Far from it.  

No doubt.  Granted there were some circumstances.  The drops in the second half were significant. 

I would love to know what Johnson's opinion was of going for it on that 4th down.  Not only that, I would love to know what our analytics guy would say about that.  It reminded me of a couple times Rivera went for it rather than take the points this year when we were barely holding on.  

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I’ll stop arguing McDonald then.  

Either way, this is an exciting time to be a fan of this team once again.  

Ben Johnson is the correct hire in the modern NFL. I think it makes more sense to have staff consistency on offense than defense. This way if we lose coordinators it still lets whatever young QB you have grow and mature in the same system. I know the Texans looked great with Ryans this year but lets see what happens in a few years when he loses his offensive staff. Just look at what happened with the Titans and Vrabel. 

20 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ben Johnson is the correct hire in the modern NFL. I think it makes more sense to have staff consistency on offense than defense. This way if we lose coordinators it still lets whatever young QB you have grow and mature in the same system. I know the Texans looked great with Ryans this year but lets see what happens in a few years when he loses his offensive staff. Just look at what happened with the Titans and Vrabel. 

I’m more focused on leadership qualities, and how well that person can also “speak the language” on the other side to understand who they need to hire to fit the vision of the opposite side of the ball.  

I don’t see it as being as difficult as many people think.  Yes, more offensive coordinators are being poached now, but if you have an established vision/culture, you’re going to churn out successful folks regardless.  And in a sense, I’d want our coach to be here long enough to establish that kind of talent pipeline to the NFL, regardless of what side of the ball they are on.  

If Johnson goes on this interview today in Seattle and is their coach by the end of the day I will be so incredibly bummed. I get wanting to take your time and whatever but I really hope this long drawn out process doesn't result in Rivera 2.0 with Dan Quinn.

Just now, lavar703 said:

If Johnson goes on this interview today in Seattle and is their coach by the end of the day I will be so incredibly bummed. I get wanting to take your time and whatever but I really hope this long drawn out process doesn't result in Rivera 2.0 with Dan Quinn.

That I will be in 110% agreement with.  I am still shocked that Quinn even got called back for a second interview.  

Just now, lavar703 said:

So basically what Schefter is saying without saying it is, he doesn't know....

Nah. Schefter is very deliberate about what he says or knows. He's admitted that in interviews. 

Either Seattle has better than a punchers chance or Ben's agent is using leverage to squeeze the rest of the juice out from Harris. Either way, I don't think Schefter uses those words lightly unless someone had him saying it. 

• Like 2