Commanders hire Adam Peters to be new GM (5 year deal)

7 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I am not talking about the scouts.  We don't even know the names of most of those guys.  I am talking about the Martin/Marty level guys.  Enough of the Kumbaya with the prior regime.  

I agree and have said as much, but as others have pointed out, Hurney and Mayhew probably have very little say in any of the actual proceedings, but provide continuity with the current scouts and scouting department. 

32 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I am not talking about the scouts.  We don't even know the names of most of those guys.  I am talking about the Martin/Marty level guys.  Enough of the Kumbaya with the prior regime.  

Ok, I saw this first hand as an Orioles fan.  When you take over after a season, there isn’t a lot of time to make front office moves, especially if you are also hiring a coach.  So there is going to be some time that has to pass, and most of those teams routinely take a year, especially with drafts occurring, before they make those changes.  

Additionally, Mayhew worked with Peter’s for 3-4 years.  This isn’t like we’re keeping him because Harris likes him or some odd reason like that.  They have a working relationship already, and that can’t be discounted.  

I also saw a Dan Duquette disciple thrive and run draft operations for Mike Elias, who cut his teeth as a scout and scouting director, and Brad Ciolek just landed a promotion with the Nationals.  So even folks from previous regimes can stick around and contribute in positive ways.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Ok, I saw this first hand as an Orioles fan.  When you take over after a season, there isn’t a lot of time to make front office moves, especially if you are also hiring a coach.  So there is going to be some time that has to pass, and most of those teams routinely take a year, especially with drafts occurring, before they make those changes.  

Additionally, Mayhew worked with Peter’s for 3-4 years.  This isn’t like we’re keeping him because Harris likes him or some odd reason like that.  They have a working relationship already, and that can’t be discounted.  

I also saw a Dan Duquette disciple thrive and run draft operations for Mike Elias, who cut his teeth as a scout and scouting director, and Brad Ciolek just landed a promotion with the Nationals.  So even folks from previous regimes can stick around and contribute in positive ways.  

I understand what you are saying, but I don't agree.  It is one thing to have them stay on consulting behind the scenes, but these guys are still here as executive figure heads.

Harris has been preparing for this for 6 months.  He has been interacting with Mayhew and Hurney for 6 months.  He should have already learned what he needed from them from an administration point of view.  Administration is replaceable.  And if they want more than administration, then you are saying we want Mayhew scouting for us?  Please no.

If it were me, I would keep the boots on the ground scouts in the field and slowly replace them over a couple years.  But I want culture change and that starts at the top.  At this point I am terminating Martin and Marty and Wright.  I certainly am not sending them to the Senior Bowl as representatives.

1 minute ago, offbyone said:

but these guys are still here as executive figure heads.

Well to be fair, no one has officially reported his new role. It's probably management to some degree, but if he is just managing what the scouts do, is that the end all? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Well to be fair, no one has officially reported his new role. It's probably management to some degree, but if he is just managing what the scouts do, is that the end all? 

Have you ever seen someone get hired as a GM/CEO title and then weeks later the organization have a second person still listed as the same title?  I am not talking just football, I am talking any organization.

To me it is almost like they don't have a clear plan and they can't make a decision.  

5 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Have you ever seen someone get hired as a GM/CEO title and then weeks later the organization have a second person still listed as the same title?  I am not talking just football, I am talking any organization.

To me it is almost like they don't have a clear plan and they can't make a decision.  

I have definitely seen people reassigned in a company. I also acknowledge professional sports are very different. Head coaches go back to being coordinators and assistants all the time. 

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I have definitely seen people reassigned in a company. I also acknowledge professional sports are very different. Head coaches go back to being coordinators and assistants all the time. 

Totally agree with this.  Reassigned.  But it has been a couple weeks.  Super weird.  And if I am Peters, I would want to sort my org chart as soon as possible.  

Also, if I am a head coaching interviewing, I would be inquiring at what the heck is going on here?  Because presumably the HC isn't getting personnel control, so the HC will undoubtedly want to understand the org chart of the personnel people and who he has to work with.

I don't know, maybe not a biggie, probably will be resolved soon enough, but these guys aren't impressing me so far with how organized they are.

1 minute ago, offbyone said:

Totally agree with this.  Reassigned.  But it has been a couple weeks.  Super weird.  And if I am Peters, I would want to sort my org chart as soon as possible.  

Also, if I am a head coaching interviewing, I would be inquiring at what the heck is going on here?  Because presumably the HC isn't getting personnel control, so the HC will undoubtedly want to understand the org chart of the personnel people and who he has to work with.

I don't know, maybe not a biggie, probably will be resolved soon enough, but these guys aren't impressing me so far with how organized they are.

So, do you think Mayhew is still GM too? Trying to understand. They made it clear in Peters press conference he's the man. 

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

So, do you think Mayhew is still GM too? Trying to understand. They made it clear in Peters press conference he's the man. 

I am trying to understand too.  It is very odd.  What company does this?  I also thought by nfl rules you couldn't hire a new person for a job where a current person already has the title.  

Check it out yourself:

https://www.commanders.com/team/front-office-roster/

48 minutes ago, offbyone said:
55 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I am trying to understand too.  It is very odd.  What company does this?  I also thought by nfl rules you couldn't hire a new person for a job where a current person already has the title.  

Check it out yourself:

https://www.commanders.com/team/front-office-roster/

I think any label or title past Adam Peters is a formality. Very likely its not worth the trouble making an "official change" to their titles as most of them probably won't keep their jobs. However, it is very interesting the NFL hasn't done something, because I too always thought you couldn't hire someone for a position that was not vacant, but its clear that Peters is the future at GM.

Edited by Slappy Mc

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

Football is clearly different, as are most professional sports.  I’m sure there have been a few times where teams have had a GM, and then they bring in someone that is an Executive VP that is over them.  It’s actually why Alex Anthopoulos left the Blue Jays after getting them to a division title, because they brought in Mark Shapiro as CEO/President.  So AA didn’t sign an extension, and Shapiro has been very involved since then and has a GM, but most people believe Shapiro is the one making the lions share of the decisions.  

In a similar way, all of our assistant coaches are still under contract and in limbo as well until a new coach comes in.  This is the same for any NFL team.  When someone is fired, it’s usually the decision-maker like the head coach or GM, and the new person decides the fate of everyone else.  

I think that everyone is reaching here on thinking there isn’t a process here, and that we’re suddenly incompetent even after bringing on board “The Guy” that every team wanted as an executive the past three years.  

• Like 3