Brian Gutekunst - Executive of the Year

Old Guy

7 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I wonder who finally got to Jerry and got him to cool it a little, or if he came to the conclusion himself (I doubt it).  But you are right, he doesn't seem to be the meddling owner like he was in the past.  What is kind of crazy to me is that he still is Cowboys super fan number 1, but has stopped doing emotional fan-like reactionary things to his team.  

I can't really be sure here's my guess and best analogy.

Jerry Jones is in doting grandpa mode.

The Cowboys were his baby and he was super involved to the point of being overbearing. 

Now that his actual kids are "raising" it and doing a darn good job he can just sit back and really enjoy it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I know everyone is going to drool over the Texans, but they mortgaged this year's draft to grab another guy. He not only rebuilt our roster with two consecutive drafts, he also had a stockpile of picks in the upcoming draft. 

I wanted to check on that to see where the Texans lost draft capital.  As far as I can tell, they gave up their own 24 first rounder and third rounder for the number 3 pick.  What is lost though, is they still get Cleveland's first round pick this season for Deshaun Watson.  Their original pick is number 21, but they still get number 27 from Cleveland.  So, they got rid of Watson, got a better QB, and essentially traded a third rounder and dropped 6 picks in 2024 for Will Anderson.  

the 2023 Texans draft yielded:

CJ Stroud - Probable OROY

Will Anderson - 7 sacks, 29 tackles

Juice Scruggs - started the last 6 games of the season, they were 4-3 in games he played in.

Tank Dell - 700 yards, 7 TDs

Dylan Horton - rotational DL, probably a not quite as good Colby Wooden

Henry To'oTo'o - 6 starts 35 tackles

Jarrett Patterson - 7 starts

Xavier Hutchinson and Brandon Hill - mostly didn't play

And they went from worst to first in their division.  That is a damn fine resume.  

• Like 2

Bears may have executive of the year too.  They finally drafted with the future in mind.  And they absolutely fleeced the Panthers.  If Caleb Williams lives up to the hype, the Panthers should be contracted.  They would have traded up for a guy that helped the trade partner get the first overall pick, which they used to take a superior QB.  

Good thread.  Always felt Gute was underappreciated.  Not so much around here but go on Twitter or FB.  Average fan is pretty ignorant.  I'd say he's a top 5 GM in the league.  Not only drafting but has an excellent pro player personnel dept.  He's right there with Wolf and TT.  

• Like 1