The Offseason

Acgott

Wink and Daboll are having a PR battle like nothing I can remember amongst coaches. Everything either of them has said publicly is to set up so they can't say to the fan base and press, "hey it wasn't me, it was that guy". Dabes comments today are nothing different. He "expects him back" so that when he's not back, it seems like Wink forced his way out. Wink was doing the same thing for weeks leading up to the end of the season. I suppose there is a SMALL chance that Wink just says, "hey, you want me back then significantly increase my pay" like I'll deal with your **** if the number is right. It just seems so unlikely based on what each of them are saying in their public comments. 

16 hours ago, Acgott said:

We all kind of knew/had to know he was going to get a GM job sooner than later. He's a valuable part of the FO. Obviously, losing him would be alleviated a bit by getting 2 3rd round picks.

What a circle that would create though, huh? Brandon Beane was the assistant GM under Dave Gettleman in Carolina, where Schoen got his start. Beane left for Buffalo and hired Schoen to be his assistant. Schoen leaves Buffalo for New York and hires Brandon Brown as assistant. Now, Brown could go and be GM in Carolina, where Schoen got his start.

I'm not interested in a 2023 autopsy; so many things went wrong, and they were so obvious, that it isn't worth rehashing them all. What I am interested in doing is evaluating what we have now and where it would serve us best as far as prioritization to improve.

I think we have 3 standout, stalwart, cornerstone players on the roster locked up for the next few years: Dexter Lawrence, Andrew Thomas, and Bobby Okereke.

I think we have a few high promise players that need to develop and can fall into the category above, but we cannot bank on them doing so and may even be much worse than that currently: Kayvon Thibodeaux, Wan'Dale Robinson, Deonte Banks, John Michael Schmitz, Micah McFadden

And I think we've got some players that are solid in their roles and absolutely have a place on the team in 2024, and potentially beyond, but aren't worth breaking the bank for: Darius Slayton, Darren Waller, Jason Pinnock, Dane Belton, Isaiah Hodgins, Daniel Bellinger, Ben Bredeson*

We also have some much younger guys that could be something, but more than likely won't, that I won't even mention. That's it though; those guys above are what we have to work with. Notably absent are Saquon Barkley (FA), Xavier McKinney (FA), Ben Bredeson (FA), and Evan Neal (poor play and injury history 2 years in a row). Also notably absent is any QB.

Every year, an average NFL roster turns over about 50%. You need about 25-28 good-great players on your roster to form the basis of your team. We do not have that right now.

The fastest way to improve a roster is hit on a QB. The one we just signed to big money has a perpetual neck injury, tore his ACL, and could not take the next step the coaching staff expected him to take. We need to move on, especially with the draft capital we have this year and the talent at QB in this draft. That has to be priority #1.

After that, we need to prioritize fixing the OL. I think getting a legitimate OL coach would do a world of difference. Dwayne Ledford out of Atlanta should be available with Arthur Smith getting fired. Mike Munchak is sitting at home. Honestly, it needs to be 1 of those 2 guys who comes here next. We can't mess around anymore. We've spent multiple high draft picks on OL, it is time we develop them. On paper, Andrew Thomas, John Michael Schmitz, and Evan Neal should be a great T-C-T trio. Schoen seems assured of it, so you need the coaches to fulfill the vision. Fill in the gaps with free agents at the guard spots; don't mess around with any more rookies.

As far as in house free agents, I think we need to finally cut Saquon loose and we need to bring back Bredeson and McKinney. Saquon lost that final gear and isn't worth what he wants. McKinney in a 2 safety set is so, so valuable. Bredeson is very versatile and solid.

I'll have more on where I think we should go throughout the offseason, but those are my initial thoughts. Schoen needs to put his stamp on his team with a QB. While Nabers and Alt are really good players, it'd be a failure to not get a/the QB you want this offseason. No more bandaids.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Some are saying he did a good job in Las Vegas, but I really, really hate the idea of hiring the OL coach from a team that had an awful rushing offense. Remember, before the fired McDaniels and played us, they had by far the worst rushing offense in the entire NFL. I didn't watch enough of the Raiders OL to know if it was because of that unit, but it isn't a good sign.

Edit: Also, if a guy spent time around the OL in New Englad, you'd hope he least brushed shoulders with Scar and picked up a thing or two from him. But this Carmen Bricillo and Scar did not intersect in NE.

Edited by minutemancl

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Some are saying he did a good job in Las Vegas, but I really, really hate the idea of hiring the OL coach from a team that had an awful rushing offense. Remember, before the fired McDaniels and played us, they had by far the worst rushing offense in the entire NFL. I didn't watch enough of the Raiders OL to know if it was because of that unit, but it isn't a good sign.

Edit: Also, if a guy spent time around the OL in New Englad, you'd hope he least brushed shoulders with Scar and picked up a thing or two from him. But this Carmen Bricillo and Scar did not intersect in NE.

Checking the box scores of their past few games, they had some very good rushing games when they weren’t having Aidan O’Connell throw for 50 times. I’m no expert here, but I’ll expect they were going against lots of stacked boxes especially when I see Aidan with 100 yards passing in some games.