The Offseason

Acgott

I'm reading Fashanu's draft profile and Alt's draft profile, then I'm going back and reading Neal's profile from just 2 years ago and I absolutely 100% cannot justify taking one of those 2 guys at 6th overall. Cannot do it. 

Give me literally anyone else. Odunze, Verse, Bowers, JJ McCarthy, trade back, I don't care. Just not one of those 2 guys. Either we have an inability to develop OL, or our FO can't evaluate them for ****, but drafting another guy that early isn't going to solve either of those problems. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I'm reading Fashanu's draft profile and Alt's draft profile, then I'm going back and reading Neal's profile from just 2 years ago and I absolutely 100% cannot justify taking one of those 2 guys at 6th overall. Cannot do it. 

Give me literally anyone else. Odunze, Verse, Bowers, JJ McCarthy, trade back, I don't care. Just not one of those 2 guys. Either we have an inability to develop OL, or our FO can't evaluate them for ****, but drafting another guy that early isn't going to solve either of those problems. 

Yep. I have no explanation for it because we've had multiple administrations with multiple OCs, and Oline coaches completely fail to develop these high equity oline picks.. so why bother? Either give me a future franchise QB who can read and exploit NFL defenses, or give me a legit #1 WR who can create instant separation, or an edge rusher who can create disruption. Anything else is a total waste

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Yep. I have no explanation for it because we've had multiple administrations with multiple OCs, and Oline coaches completely fail to develop these high equity oline picks.. so why bother? Either give me a future franchise QB who can read and exploit NFL defenses, or give me a legit #1 WR who can create instant separation, or an edge rusher who can create disruption. Anything else is a total waste

Agree 100%. Right now, I'd like to see us stay at 6. Take Malik Nabers if he is available. If not, take JJ McCarthy. Gamble on taking a franchise changer that high in the draft. 

On 2/9/2024 at 12:16 PM, minutemancl said:

Agree 100%. Right now, I'd like to see us stay at 6. Take Malik Nabers if he is available. If not, take JJ McCarthy. Gamble on taking a franchise changer that high in the draft. 

I am not for drafting JJ McCarthy at #6 because we think we're smarter than everyone else, like we did with Daniel Jones. If you like him, gamble on trade back a bit then take him / risk missing on him. Drafting him a full round earlier than his consensus because Jim Harbaugh says so is a bad idea.

48 minutes ago, GMENNATION said:

I am not for drafting JJ McCarthy at #6 because we think we're smarter than everyone else, like we did with Daniel Jones. If you like him, gamble on trade back a bit then take him / risk missing on him. Drafting him a full round earlier than his consensus because Jim Harbaugh says so is a bad idea.

He's gonna go top-10 even if we aren't the ones to take him. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 12:39 PM, Acgott said:

Wink and cronies to U of Michigan 

Bobby Johnson for some reason got hired by Washington.

I don't know if you saw, but Drew Wilkins actually went to New England to be their OLBs coach.

Giants trading up for a QB is starting to pick up steam from the more plugged-in, well-known draftniks. Daniel Jeremiah's latest mock has us taking Daniels at 6, but only because he doesn't predict trade ups this early.

Gut feeling, but I think we do trade up to 3 with the Patriots, we give them almost exactly what the Colts got from the Jets in 2018 (Jets traded 6, 37, 49, and the following year's 2nd for #3 overall then, and we own 6, 39, 47 this year) and take the 3rd best QB remaining, who will be Drake Maye after Williams and Daniels go in the top 2.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I don't know if you saw, but Drew Wilkins actually went to New England to be their OLBs coach.

Giants trading up for a QB is starting to pick up steam from the more plugged-in, well-known draftniks. Daniel Jeremiah's latest mock has us taking Daniels at 6, but only because he doesn't predict trade ups this early.

Gut feeling, but I think we do trade up to 3 with the Patriots, we give them almost exactly what the Colts got from the Jets in 2018 (Jets traded 6, 37, 49, and the following year's 2nd for #3 overall then, and we own 6, 39, 47 this year) and take the 3rd best QB remaining, who will be Drake Maye after Williams and Daniels go in the top 2.

I can’t believe the next big thing didn’t follow his idol to Michigan. 

Regarding a trade up, I have a hard time believing we will pay the max to get that spot. A lot of teams behind us are looking to trade up, and those future first could be enticing. The Patriots are the new hot rumor now.

No major callouts for the Giants NFLPA report cards across the board. They ranked 8th overall, but looked pretty average for a quick glance. That is the same as last year.

Daboll got an A- which ranked 13th, good news over the internal commotion. Mara a B+, 14th overall.

Training Staff ranked 2nd, weight staff, 18th. Both improvements from last year.

2024: https://nflpa.com/new-york-giants-report-card-2024
2023: https://nflpa.com/new-york-giants-report-card-2023