The Offseason

Acgott

So we bring him in and the oline is still swiss cheese. Ya Schoen and Daboll are done after this year.  Runyan and Eleuminor? Really? Thats what you call addressing the oline? Runyan is a rotational piece and Eleuminor right now may or may not be a right tackle or guard. This team needed STARTERS on the oline, not rotational / swing pieces. Im done with this fool as coach and the clown at GM. They are both officially on the hot seat. 

Edited by Giants4eva

19 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

So we bring him in and the oline is still swiss cheese. Ya Schoen and Daboll are done after this year.  Runyan and Eleuminor? Really? Thats what you call addressing the oline? Runyan is a rotational piece and Eleuminor right now may or may not be a right tackle or guard. This team needed STARTERS on the oline, not rotational / swing pieces. Im done with this fool as coach and the clown at GM. They are both officially on the hot seat. 

Runyan is a starting guard. He has played both spots, but pencil him in at LG. Eluemunor can, and has, played both RT and RG.

Of course, you are banking on improvement from JMS and hopefully Neal. But the overall important thing in assembling an OL is being at least average at all 5 positions. That's how you have an above average, functional OL. We are much closer to that on paper than we were last year. AT at LT, Runyan LG, JMS C, Eluemunor RG, Neal RT is how I imagine the OL will shake out week 1, with Ezeudu being a reserve at 4/5 of those positions. If Neal struggles at RT, I imagine Eluemunor shifts over to tackle and Neal rides the bench until he gets enough practice reps at G to slide inside on Sunday.

Runyan and Eluemunor are solid players, and that's not an optimistic or homer take. It's a fact. If we wanted a chance at a stud iOL, we would have to pay literally double what we did. Look at what Robert Hunt and Owenu got. Runyan and Eluemunor combined are $17 million this year. Robert Hunt got $20 million per year.

1 hour ago, Giants4eva said:

Which move would you have liked the Giants to make? There aren’t many starting OL that are available. 

6 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Which move would you have liked the Giants to make? There aren’t many starting OL that are available. 

With 150M being tossed around i would've at least gotten Jonah Jackson and Mike Onwenu. Danielle Hunter would've been my guy on defense. From there, go after your WR1 (which is all but solidified now) in the draft at the #6 pick. 

19 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

With 150M being tossed around i would've at least gotten Jonah Jackson and Mike Onwenu. Danielle Hunter would've been my guy on defense. From there, go after your WR1 (which is all but solidified now) in the draft at the #6 pick. 

Fair point, it would have been nice to get one of those OL. I’m not a huge fan of the Burns trade either, but hopefully it turns out. It’s right to stay away from Hunter. He’s 30. There are no #1 receivers available.

5 hours ago, Giants4eva said:

This team needed STARTERS on the oline, not rotational / swing pieces.

From what I am hearing about them, both the new offensive linemen are better than what we currently have which makes them starting quality for this team. Perhaps I am old school but I can't see paying 20 million and above for a guard, a starting tackle yes but not a guard. Our offensive line right now is improved over what it was last year, I am okay with that.

In the end, what they do at QB is going to decide if Daboll's will be here next year perhaps even Schoen as well.

Anyone else feel more hopeful and excited than nervous if we roll into week 1 with Pinnock, Belton, and Owens as our starting safeties? These are eager, athletic, young guys and we've got one of the best secondary coaches in the league. Belton is a ball magnet who seemed to always generate turnovers in limited playing time. Pinnock was impressive last year in his first full year starting. Call me crazy, but I'd be excited to see how those guys can produce if they are our top 3 guys. I'd be more excited than nervous. 

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Call me crazy, but I'd be excited to see how those guys can produce if they are our top 3 guys. I'd be more excited than nervous

Crazy, Pinnoc has shown flashes but what have the other two shown? Can you point me to the game where Belton or Owens made a difference? When we cut Adorre it will just be Banks, Pinnoc, and a bunch of JAGs. The secondary is a huge concern.

11 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

Crazy, Pinnoc has shown flashes but what have the other two shown? Can you point me to the game where Belton or Owens made a difference? When we cut Adorre it will just be Banks, Pinnoc, and a bunch of JAGs. The secondary is a huge concern.

I agree. I’ll like a veteran safety and #2 CB for sure. Adoree is a free agent as well.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Anyone else feel more hopeful and excited than nervous if we roll into week 1 with Pinnock, Belton, and Owens as our starting safeties? These are eager, athletic, young guys and we've got one of the best secondary coaches in the league. Belton is a ball magnet who seemed to always generate turnovers in limited playing time. Pinnock was impressive last year in his first full year starting. Call me crazy, but I'd be excited to see how those guys can produce if they are our top 3 guys. I'd be more excited than nervous. 

Excited and energized for Pinnock and Belton. Belton very quietly is a ballhawk and Pinnock is tough as nails. Im just not enthused whatsoever with the state of the oline. Thats what i have a major issue with. I honestly dont feel like we got enough yet to say ya we are gonna have a QB who wont get sacked 6 times a game and put out on a stretcher. 

44 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

We definitely need CB talent, I agree on that. I think the Safety group would benefit from a veteran as well, but I like what we've got there as far as the potential. 

Belton had 2 interceptions, a fumble recovery, a sack, and 2 pressures playing just 25% of the defensive snaps (less than 300 total defensive snaps). He put up similar numbers in his rookie year. He seems to have a knack for the ball and makes impact plays with little playtime; its reasonable to be excited to see what he could do with a full workload. I don't expect him to be a stud and I think it'd be foolish to think that, but there is reason to be excited for sure.

16 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

Excited and energized for Pinnock and Belton. Belton very quietly is a ballhawk and Pinnock is tough as nails. Im just not enthused whatsoever with the state of the oline. Thats what i have a major issue with. I honestly dont feel like we got enough yet to say ya we are gonna have a QB who wont get sacked 6 times a game and put out on a stretcher. 

That's not unreasonable, but I am more optimistic than you regarding the OL signings. Consider the following:

-Daniel Jones and especially Tommy Devito were among the absolute worst QBs in the NFL last year in pressure-to-sack ratio

-Andrew Thomas missed 7 games last year with a freak injury suffered during a blocked field goal

-We went through a different OL configuration every week for the first ~6 weeks of the season, I think

-We dumped Bobby Johnson for Carmen Bricillo

-We re-hired Aaron Wellman, who oversaw our S&C program from 2016-2019, which was our best stretch for injuries in a long time by a large margin

-Jermaine Eluemunor and Jon Runyan Jr both played in all 17 games each of the last 2 seasons (3 seasons for Runyan) and both graded very well in the passing game (moreso for Runyan than Eluemunor, but still), especially compared to the players they are replacing along the line

It's a lot of projection still for sure, and there is a decent amount of hoping for less injuries, but there are way more reasons to be hopeful that we will be better this year. If Andrew Thomas stays healthy, JMS improves and becomes the player everyone thought he'd be coming out of the draft, Eluemunor and Runyan play at the levels they have the past 2 years, and we can get average play out of Neal, Ezeudu, or anyone else as the 5th and final piece of the OL, we will be in very good shape. Lot of ifs, but the potential is there.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Belton had 2 interceptions, a fumble recovery, a sack, and 2 pressures playing just 25% of the defensive snaps (less than 300 total defensive snaps). He put up similar numbers in his rookie year.

I'll try and meet you halfway, I hear Shane Bowen loves to use three safeties. I don't trust Belton as a full-time starter however I would be excited to see him as the third safety in a three-safety package. Hopefully he will excel in that role and earn being a starter.

• Like 1