The Offseason

Acgott

1 minute ago, Go_Giants said:

I'll try and meet you halfway, I hear Shane Bowen loves to use three safeties. I don't trust Belton as a full-time starter however I would be excited to see him as the third safety in a three-safety package. Hopefully he will excel in that role and earn being a starter.

Almost every team utilizes 3 safeties nowadays. And I will accept that compromise lol. His playmaking rate is very encouraging and impressive! I'm excited to see if that translates when he plays full time, or fades away. It could be very fun (and I like to be optimistic).

I want to make it clear I'm not just reaching back into past drafts late round picks and thinking all of them can be good. Most of them probably suck. But I genuinely have high hopes specifically for Belton and Owens. Owens was viewed as a much better prospect than where he was drafted, and he showed some of his high motor, enthusiastic, fast playing last year on specials and in the preseason. I'm not just high on these guys because they are Giants draft picks, but I'm high on them because they've shown me something.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

That's not unreasonable, but I am more optimistic than you regarding the OL signings

I can agree with you on this. The two free agent o-linemen aren't going to be pro-bowls however every podcast that covers the Giants that I listen to says that they are both an upgrade at guard over what we had, meaning our offensive line is going to be better, how much better who knows? At their very worst they are quality stops gaps.

Also, Carmen is supposed to be the offensive line whispering taking a below-average Raiders line and having them play above average, there is a chance he might be able to get Neal and Ezeudu to play up to the level they were drafted at.

Last but not least we still have a draft, who knows perhaps an extremely talented tackle or guard will fall to the 2nd or 3rd round given the Giants no choice but to draft them.

2 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

I can agree with you on this. The two free agent o-linemen aren't going to be pro-bowls however every podcast that covers the Giants that I listen to says that they are both an upgrade at guard over what we had, meaning our offensive line is going to be better, how much better who knows? At their very worst they are quality stops gaps.

Also, Carmen is supposed to be the offensive line whispering taking a below-average Raiders line and having them play above average, there is a chance he might be able to get Neal and Ezeudu to play up to the level they were drafted at.

Last but not least we still have a draft, who knows perhaps an extremely talented tackle or guard will fall to the 2nd or 3rd round given the Giants no choice but to draft them.

Even with the free agent signings, I think Christian Haynes, G out of Uconn, at pick 47 would be great for us. I also really like Christian Mahogany out of BCU in the 3rd or Isaiah Adams out of Illinois in the 5th.

The most important part of building an OL is considering the unit as a whole, not the individual pieces. Unlike all other units in football, you need 5 solid players to have an above average OL. 1 stud and 4 scrubs will not work for you (as we've seen). A WR corps with 1 stud and a few scrubs might get you by just fine, but not along the OL. The goal is 5 truly average players and suitable reserves. We are closer to that now than we were last year with these signings.

Still trying to figure out this rebuild. Wasting most of there salary cap on 1 player along with draft picks kinda worries me. This off season so far, the giants didn't get better, they put themselves in a far worse position.  They signed mostly backups. Runyan was a part time starter that got replaced, 2 tight ends , a n ok running back, a swing tackle which who really knows how good he will be or even play.  Wasted money along with 150 mil to a linebacker that averages 8 sacks a season.  

1 hour ago, Cuziam71 said:

Still trying to figure out this rebuild. Wasting most of there salary cap on 1 player along with draft picks kinda worries me. This off season so far, the giants didn't get better, they put themselves in a far worse position.  They signed mostly backups. Runyan was a part time starter that got replaced, 2 tight ends , a n ok running back, a swing tackle which who really knows how good he will be or even play.  Wasted money along with 150 mil to a linebacker that averages 8 sacks a season.  

I agree, though the cap isn’t an issue, we have plenty we can restructure. ESPN analytics currently has us ranked 32nd.

On 3/20/2024 at 5:22 PM, Cuziam71 said:

I don't believe it is hard to figure out the rebuild. Whatever you think of Runyan he is currently an upgrade over what we have now at guard, the same thing for Eluemunor, if he plays guard he is an upgrade over what we have, he also insurance in case Neal is horrible at RT again. For the two tight ends, Darren Walker was hurt a lot, this forced Bellinger to remain as just a blocker because the other backup tight ends sucked at blocking. Joe learned his lesson and brought in backup tight ends who can block. As for the player that average 8 sacks a season, the Rams were willing to give up 2 first rounds picks and a 2nd round pick for him, they saw something worth investing in. I was not in love with the trade however  I am not going to say it is a waste, we are getting a player in his prime at a premium position. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Runyan isn't a upgrade.  We gave a backup guard 10mil a year.  Not worth it.  Eluemunor was a good pickup worth the money. Burns for 150mil 8 sack guy and costing 2nd and a 5th on a rebuilding team was a bad decision. It Don matter who was giving up what the year before.  8 sacks for 150mi is plain STUPID. Making excuses for reasons on why he didn't get more sacks and/or he will be getting 10+ sacks with is is ridiculous.  They could have kept Barkley and Mckinney for that price. We got better at 1 spot maybe but the cost was too great. 

Runyan isn't a upgrade.  We gave a backup guard 10mil a year.  Not worth it.  Eluemunor was a good pickup worth the money. Burns for 150mil 8 sack guy and costing 2nd and a 5th on a rebuilding team was a bad decision. It Don matter who was giving up what the year before.  8 sacks for 150mi is plain STUPID. Making excuses for reasons on why he didn't get more sacks and/or he will be getting 10+ sacks with is is ridiculous.  They could have kept Barkley and Mckinney for that price. We got better at 1 spot maybe but the cost was too great. 

If our offensive line has not improved like you seem to think it hasn't then why complain about Barkley? Given how good the Eagle's offensive line is, it makes sense for them to pay Barkley all that money, not us. As for Xavier, like Barkley, he does not play at a premium position, I have no problem with letting the two of them go. 

Edited by Go_Giants

What is a Premium position?  QB?  All positions are Premium positions. You can have a great left tackle but if the guard stinks, the left tackle is gonna stink. All 22 positions are Premium.  Look at KC  Kelsey a TE was his main guy.  TE isn't a "Premium position". Having a top safety is worth the money.  Passrusher that had 8 sacks a season isn't.  

16 minutes ago, Cuziam71 said:

What is a Premium position?  QB?  All positions are Premium positions. You can have a great left tackle but if the guard stinks, the left tackle is gonna stink. All 22 positions are Premium.  Look at KC  Kelsey a TE was his main guy.  TE isn't a "Premium position". Having a top safety is worth the money.  Passrusher that had 8 sacks a season isn't.  

The premium positions are QB, Pass Rusher, OT, Pass Catcher and Cornerback. What stat has Xavier averaged over his career that makes him a top safety?

Wasnt Mckinney top 5 Statistics of all the safeties this year? I remember giants getting dominated by Brian Dawkins every year. Feels like he was the biggest reason Philly beat us. Feels like safety is a Premium position to me!  

Qb I would say is the biggest need for a team but a hole in the oline or a top wr would stun any qb

You are pointing to BrIan Burns averaging 8 sacks a year over his career as to why he is not worth it. I am asking you what stats Xavier averaged over his career that makes him a top safety, don't point to just one season.  Now you're pointing to Brain Dawkins who last played for the Eagles in 2008? Brain Dawkins is in the Hall of Fame, Xavier has never made a Pro Bowl.